Rishabh R

Can negative visualization be useful ?

12 posts in this topic

Can it decrease suffering and make us better handle setbacks etc. ?

22 minutes ago, Rishabh R said:

Can it decrease suffering and make us better handle setbacks etc. ?

Ideally positive visualization helps with overcoming set backs. But, a balance of optimism and pessimism are useful for life generally.

"Unburdened and Becoming" - Bon Iver

◭"89"

@Rishabh R Depends how you use visualization. 

Visualization is something you master over time. It’s not as easy as visualizing everything going the way you want it to and then that happening. You refine your visualization over time. 

1. Visual

2. Experience reality

3. Self Reflect and improve

repeat

Visualizing that things will go badly doesn’t help either. In fact it can make things worse. 

Developing an optimistic view, and using visualization of how you will act, how you approach your day, your posture, your success. This helps. 

Pessimism is useful as well when down constructively. 

The point is that you are working towards improving your life, while balancing pessimism and optimism, facing the truth, visualizing your success, refining your skills and lifestyle until you are living a powerful life.

Edited by Thought Art

◭"89"

14 minutes ago, Thought Art said:

@Rishabh R Depends how you use visualization. 

Visualization is something you master over time. It’s not as easy as visualizing everything going the way you want it to and then that happening. You refine your visualization over time. 

1. Visual

2. Experience reality

3. Self Reflect and improve

repeat

Visualizing that things will go badly doesn’t help either. In fact it can make things worse. 

Developing an optimistic view, and using visualization of how you will act, how you approach your day, your posture, your success. This helps. 

Pessimism is useful as well when down constructively. 

The point is that you are working towards improving your life, while balancing pessimism and optimism, facing the truth, visualizing your success, refining your skills and lifestyle until you are living a powerful life.

But I think that visualizing  that what can you do when things are going wrong could be a useful strategy.

Sure, recontextualizing and expanding the meaning of something you hold very tightly helps.

For example, if you’re extremely sensitive about being a skinny person and have been bullied about it, watch a comedian who pokes fun at himself for being skinny.

“I once tried to explain existential dread to my toaster, but it just popped up and said, "Same."“ -Gemini AI

4 minutes ago, Rishabh R said:

But I think that visualizing  that what can you do when things are going wrong could be a useful strategy.

I am agreeing with you if you read what I’m saying carefully

◭"89"

Use negative visualization to see what could go wrong with negative visualization and you’ll perhaps see what I’m saying

◭"89"

@Rishabh R Okay, I’m still not disagreeing 

◭"89"