shree

How to quit sugar

80 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, Princess Arabia said:

The mind will trick you and explain away why one should murder someone much less why sugar is ok in moderation so we can eat that

Lol, you are comparing assasina to eating sugar.

ice-cream in peace without feeling guilt. Just drink the god-damn blizzard without conjuring up why it's OK. The next piece of cake will have it's own set of excuses and the next cookie and the next Subway sandwich. Lol

There is no “okay stuff,” “guilt,” “justification,” or any other absurd authoritarian concept in this context. You are an adult and eat what you want.

1 hour ago, MarkKol said:

Limit yourself to only a few fruits you are allowed to eat, high-fiber ones optimally. Or don't, limit your sugar intake to only fruits because as long as you're not a diabetic you don't have to restrain yourself too much. 

Why ?

Some things including fruits are so sweet I don't need any discipline to resist them, like dates, everytime I see one of those I feel my teeth falling out.

Nacebo effect. 
Btw, You will also naturally be drawn to the macronutrients that you are used to metabolizing. People think it's smart to explain that sugar is a drug and that giving it up eventually makes it disgusting, but the same thing will happen to fats if you go on a low-fat diet for a while.

I don't believe in the idea of cheat meals, A bowl of ice cream will have the same effect on you regardless of how clean you usually eat, so these comments are somewhat dumb IMO.

It's just a matter of saying that drinking one beer a week is less harmful than a glass of whiskey every day. It's all a question of benefit/risk, are you going to sacrifice your favorite ice cream here and there to live 88 years and 8 months rather than 88 years and one month?

But above all: Are you able to show me that ice cream is a bad food? Maybe it's not ideal because of the lack of micronutrients, but there are other benefits. For the record, when I was almost vegan, I had severe digestive problems, brain fog (pure than what I can have now due to insomnia here and there), one day I had a math class on zoom and I ate a whole tube of sweetened condensed milk, like 1000 calories from a hit of sugar and dairy fat lol. For the first time my brain fog was lifted and I could understand math. When I trusted Greger and ate the equivalent of dates and mashed nuts, my brain fog just got worse, and I was cold and constipated.

You want an experimental and holistic approach, not base your understanding of things on non-validated knowledge because "it's obvious eh" by virtue of what you have been told or even sometimes vicious attavistic mechanisms (the demonization of sugar rather than white rice or olive oil is based on an anal sadistic belief, well no you are not going to be rewarded because you eat bland, "pure" foods).

Because health is asymmetric, If you get it wrong you will suffer many consequences, but If you get it right you won't get many benefits.

This allegation is the opposite of reality.
Everyone here spent their childhood eating crap and getting away with it, unless there were some really toxic practices like using certain drugs. This doesn't mean you want to have a horrible diet, don't make me say anything I didn't say.

Not to mention that allowing yourself legroom means you will be less serious about this, degrading your discipline in the process.

Unnecessary self-flagellation.

You won't experience guilt if you never allow yourself to indulge.

“You won’t get killed by the cops if you don’t protest” lol.

Faulty logic

Sucrephonia the sugar dealer

At your service 😗

If you dont understand, you're not twisted enough.

If you're gonna try to convince people that sugar is healthy you're gonna have to scream it naked on the top of the Eiffel Tower with groundbreaking research shown on a huge OLED TV. 

What would the Candy Kingdom from Adventure Time think of you? You are just a plain murderer. 

This is your ideal diet, happy new year motherfucker!

yayomg-candy-kingdom-inhabitants.png 

On 12/28/2023 at 4:01 PM, shree said:

I struggle with a sugar addiction, often succumbing to it during stressful periods despite occasional breaks. I've noticed that regular exercise helps me be more mindful of my diet, but I'm stuck in this cycle.

Can you suggest a book, course, or technique that has helped you break free?

Make changes to reduce stress. Sleep better, eat better, exercise regularly, less screen time.

Thanks to all of you for sharing your knowledge and clearing up my confusion!

You're allowed to enjoy sugar as long as it's not causing any negative long term effects for you.  No more than 30g within a day is considered pretty normal.

You might already be aware but fructose (the naturally occurring sugar in fruits) is healthy.  You can have as much as that as you want, although our food labels here in the UK factor fructose in with refined sugar.  That's why those fruit cocktail tincans will say high in sugar even though there's little to no refined sugar in them.

On 1/2/2024 at 5:16 AM, shree said:

Thanks to all of you for sharing your knowledge and clearing up my confusion!

No problem.

Now go enjoy a banana.

“I once tried to explain existential dread to my toaster, but it just popped up and said, "Same."“ -Gemini AI

Posted (edited)

1 hour ago, enzyme said:

You might already be aware but fructose (the naturally occurring sugar in fruits) is healthy.  You can have as much as that as you want

I'm not a nutritionist but my knowledge on food and nutrition is a little bit more extensive than just the normal common advice to eat your fruits and veggies. (I could be wrong here so this is just my educated opinion). 

I don't think the part about having as much as you want when it comes to fruits is correct. May even be dangerous too. One doesn't want to wait until problems arise before taking necessary precautions when it comes to health concerns. Yes, the sugar in fruits known as fructose, doesn't metabolizes the same as say processed cane sugar (white or brown), and the fiber in the fruit does make a difference in how the body processes the sugar in fruits.

If you juice oranges VS eating them whole, there is a difference in the metabolizing process because the fiber is missing. Certain fruits contain less sugar than some and it is advisable to eat the ones with more sugar more sparingly, for example bananas VS kiwis, fiber or not. Berries are also on the list with less sugar, mangos have a lot of sugar . 

I think your statement would be more applicable towards the consumption of leafy greens. Eat all you want with those, I think, unless advised by a doctor, with those on certain medications maybe because of the oxalates found in them. I think fruits, while they are a healthy food and can be extensively consumed, I don't think they fit into the category of "eat all you want". 

Edited by Princess Arabia

There is no beginning, there is no end. There is just Simply This. 

I think your statement would be more applicable towards the consumption of leafy greens. Eat all you want with those, I think, unless advised by a doctor, with those on certain medications maybe because of the oxalates found in them. I think fruits, while they are a healthy food and can be extensively consumed, I don't think they fit into the category of "eat all you want". 

No food is good if you continuously force it down.  Nobody in the right mind would eat such vast quantities of fruit/veg to the point where it overloads your kidneys (that can happen, as you said, high oxalate content is linked to kidney stones).  You'd have to consume more than any sane human being would put into their body though.

Just now, enzyme said:

No food is good if you continuously force it down.  Nobody in the right mind would eat such vast quantities of fruit/veg to the point where it overloads your kidneys (that can happen, as you said, high oxalate content is linked to kidney stones).  You'd have to consume more than any sane human being would put into their body though.

You have exaggerated my point, I'm not even speaking about a very vast amount of fruits and I don't think you can overdose on veggies. The fruit consumption I'm referring to is not about an insanely human amount, vast yes, but not insanely amount. You even said "force it down" as if you needed to make your point clear by using exaggerated terms. I dismiss myself from this conversation as I've made it a pact with myself to not contend with anyone about nutrition anymore. Those days are over as I was heavily into that years ago and saw that it gets quite draining and not necessarily productive as people tend to stick with their original stance on it if an advice, information or suggestion isn't coming from an expert. 

On 09/01/2024 at 6:51 PM, Princess Arabia said:

Very interesting; I will give it a try. Thanks.

9 hours ago, Squeekytoy said:

I've been doing this for about a week now, one glass first thing in the morning. Didn't notice much difference at first, but today I noticed I actually didn't have any sugar cravings.

Good tip!

Yeah, even in myself when I slipped doing my lemon or lime water in the morning for a few months I developed a sweet tooth and ever since starting it back up, sweet tooth went away. 

Glad it's working for you.

7 hours ago, Princess Arabia said:

Yeah, even in myself when I slipped doing my lemon or lime water in the morning for a few months I developed a sweet tooth and ever since starting it back up, sweet tooth went away. 

Glad it's working for you.

I’m not into hacks for my nutrition but my ice cream addiction has gone too far. I will try this and if anything I had some yummy lemon water 🤷‍♀️ 

1 minute ago, AmandaPanda said:

I’m not into hacks for my nutrition but my ice cream addiction has gone too far. I will try this and if anything I had some yummy lemon water 🤷‍♀️ 

Funny you said ice-cream because that was what I was craving. Since I started back with my ritual of lemon water, it went away. No more ice-cream cravings nor anything sweet or not as much. Really anything as of late.

Give it a try, it might just be what the body needs to stop those cravings.

I was craving ice cream all alone last night, so I hung out with friends and we drank hot cocoa w/ marshmallows while watching a movie instead. 

“I once tried to explain existential dread to my toaster, but it just popped up and said, "Same."“ -Gemini AI

7 minutes ago, AmandaPanda said:

Ray peat would be proud of you :P

Sometimes I still make my strong coffee + haagen dazs vanilla mix. Terribly good, digestible and androgenic.

5 minutes ago, Yimpa said:

I was craving ice cream all alone last night, so I hung out with friends and we drank hot cocoa w/ marshmallows while watching a movie instead. 

I feel like ice cream often comes around when I’m lonely. And as an introvert with an interest in enlightenment that feeling comes more than I’d care to admit. Note to self, becoming better versed in social life may lead to less sugar cravings. Good suggestion because it’s not “all or nothing”.

4 minutes ago, Schizophonia said:

Ray peat would be proud of you :P

Sometimes I still make my strong coffee + haagen dazs vanilla mix. Terribly good, digestible and androgenic.

I don’t know who Ray Peat is or what androgenic means in the context of nutrition but I sure am thinking about haagen daaz and coffee wayyyy more than lemon water rn 🤔 

Edited by AmandaPanda

May sound stupid, but with enough sugar and fat, coffee will not sufficiently increase alertness (unless you have problems falling asleep, perhaps) and increase glutamaminergic neurotransmition (because of the antagonism of adenosine receptors, in short) + anti-opioid action of coffee will increase the quality of sleep by boosting oxidative phosphorylation.
People report getting good sleep while on cannabis, because THC increases dopamine/norephedrine.

Benzodiazepines, related molecules (gabapentin, pregabalin, GHB, GBL...) may help you fall asleep initially because GABA and reduces alertness by "automatically" antagonizing adrenaline, but above all you will have feeling like you're teleported to the next day after a bad sleep.

BiOmEcHaNiC bAbBy 

Capture d’écran 2024-01-20 à 21.31.49.png

Edited by Schizophonia

11 minutes ago, AmandaPanda said:

I don’t know who Ray Peat is or what androgenic means in the context of nutrition but I sure am thinking about haagen daaz and coffee wayyyy more than lemon water rn 🤔 

Of course