NightHawkBuzz

I feel that college and NBA athletes are placed on a high pedestal in society.

7 posts in this topic

I believe that athletes specifically basketball players are placed on a pedestal in society than "regular people". I went to a D1 college and at my school the basketball players had full ride scholarships, played on television and were catered to regularly at the school.  

Also, if you look in society NBA players seem to be idolized by so many people. They make millions of dollars and have a huge following by so many people because of the level they are at. 

Edited by NightHawkBuzz

@NightHawkBuzz And what ? Is that in your control no , so stop getting poked about it . Also there arent many 6ft 7 dudes that run and jump like they are olympians so obviously they are rare and get paid alot .

Edited by matoriii

7 hours ago, NightHawkBuzz said:

I believe that athletes specifically basketball players are placed on a pedestal in society than "regular people

I know you put "regular people" in quotation marks, but this is the thing right here. Classifying one over the other. It's just something they do, an identity which can die at any time. We don't consider a person's ability to show love of any importance because it doesn't make a lot of money. We are not really putting the people on a pedestal as much as putting money on a pedestal. That's what people are really idolizing - the money they make.

The "I" wants to know it's not. So, it seeks the end of itself. Hurray, there never was an "I". 

@matoriii I get that there rare and they get paid a lot but they are treated like they are just so much more important in society than mostly everyone. Basketball players get put on this high pedestal than most people with "regular careers". 

3 hours ago, NightHawkBuzz said:

@matoriii I get that there rare and they get paid a lot but they are treated like they are just so much more important in society than mostly everyone. Basketball players get put on this high pedestal than most people with "regular careers". 

So does Taylor Swift. The masses are idiots

What about actors,singers, politicians etc.? Aren't they put on a pedestal? Publicity and popularity come with their own set of challenges.