EternalForest

Critique of "Why Hollywood Is Not Conservative" Blog Post

5 posts in this topic

First off, I agree with much of what Leo said about modern Hollywood trying to push their narratives and agendas on audiences, which has made the movies less nuanced and more black and white. They put their politics and identities before the storytelling, which is what really makes for bad art. In fact, the best filmmakers are actually mostly apolitical and focus more on the complexity of the human experience and telling it in and unbiased way as Leo describes in the post, which is not limited to conservatives or liberals in specific.

As for my disagreements, I can't stand how Leo lumps Kanye West in with all those other people as if he is on the same tier when he's not. KANYE WEST IS ONE OF THE GREATEST ARTISTS OF OUR GENERATION! Forget about his politics for a moment. If you actually took the time to listen to his albums you would see the depth of wisdom in his lyrics and the revolutionary and powerful musical approach. If you don't have the time to listen to them all, at the very least, watch this video to get a sense of how much great material is in his catalogue and again, how much wisdom there is to be gained from it. Also notice how neither the members of the podcast or the commenters mention anything about his politics. Although Kanye may be a conservative, he is an incredible artist.

Edited by EternalForest

@EternalForest

4 hours ago, EternalForest said:

First off, I agree with much of what Leo said about modern Hollywood trying to push their narratives and agendas on audiences, which has made the movies less nuanced and more black and white. They put their politics and identities before the storytelling, which is what really makes for bad art. In fact, the best filmmakers are actually mostly apolitical and focus more on the complexity of the human experience and telling it in and unbiased way as Leo describes in the post, which is not limited to conservatives or liberals in specific.

As for my disagreements, I can't stand how Leo lumps Kanye West in with all those other people as if he is on the same tier when he's not. KANYE WEST IS ONE OF THE GREATEST ARTISTS OF OUR GENERATION! Forget about his politics for a moment. If you actually took the time to listen to his albums you would see the depth of wisdom in his lyrics and the revolutionary and powerful musical approach. If you don't have the time to listen to them all, at the very least, watch this video to get a sense of how much great material is in his catalogue and again, how much wisdom there is to be gained from it. Also notice how neither the members of the podcast or the commenters mention anything about his politics. Although Kanye may be a conservative, he is an incredible artist.

I agree, although I have my biases and preferences, Kanye West in terms of skill development and musical development, he's up there with the other Emcees. I also agree with Leo Gura about modern Hollywood based on many developmental factors like Spiral Dynamics stages of development, cognitive and moral development, personality typing and traits, 9 stages of ego development, shadow work, Integral Theory's other lines of development in life and societal domains, ideological echo chambers and beliefs indoctrinated by culture, family upbringing, and information consumed within the information ecology that informs most of our worldviews, some which big tech companies leverage and manufacture consent from the population via social media, news, addictive A.I and algorithms designed to hook and capture attention at the cost of shorter attention spans.

Also helpful to keep in mind that most modern movies and movie making facilities already have capitalism as ideology, and are at late stage capitalism, with strong stage orange values of profit and efficiency over soul and heart. They also prioritize marketing which is good because marketing is what keeps their businesses afloat and relevant to most consumers, so they reinvest whatever the grossing or revenue they gained from sales of movie tickets back into marketing and trailers. 

Historically the arts including Hollywood were actually conservative. Liberal arts is a recent phenomenon.

Nothing I said pertained to Kanye's art. I only mentioned Kanye for his absurd poltical narcissism. Kanye believes he's a hero fighting against the forces of evil.

If I ever talk about Kanye, it's about his politics and narcissism, never his art.

P.S. You got a serious bias for Kanye because you love his art. It's clouding even your ability to read my blog post with nuance.

Edited by Leo Gura

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

You asleep rats don’t appreciate ART

“I once tried to explain existential dread to my toaster, but it just popped up and said, "Same."“ -Gemini AI