Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Madhur

I am participating in a debate competition....

13 posts in this topic

I am participating in a debate competition, the topic is "is AI boon or a Bane in education" i will be speaking in favour of the motion (i.e: boon) 

I am looking for new perspectives/resources/quotes to make my position stronger in the competition.

any help would be appreciated, thank you :)

You can use the recent AI products such as Bing chat, chatgpt and bard to get unique points. Just try asking different questions to them, I am sure it will provide you unique things to talk about in your debate.

Here's an idea I posted somewhere else:

Imagine if there is an AI created with the help of global representatives that could post questions that would point out possible problems in decisions made by the world leaders in power and the leaders are forced to answer all the questions posted by it and reveal it to the public, before making important decisions. This helps to eliminate human bias and weaknesses and aid in making better decisions and to provide new perspectives.

If short, AI's role in aiding in making  important decisions.

23 hours ago, Madhur said:

"is AI boon or a Bane in education"

What is a successful education anyways?

What is an educated person? Somebody who has an encyclopedia inside his head?

Edited by Salvijus

Those you do not forgive you fear. 

AI is like having all the answers to every problem. But I don't think that's helpful in cultivating critical thinking, cultivating penetrative insight into various topics. Not helpful in sharpening your logic and intelect. Not helpful in developing your brains in any way I believe.

But maybe I'm missing something idk

Edited by Salvijus

Those you do not forgive you fear. 

it is just werid to formulate arguments that are "for" or "against" something. The are lots of nuances when talking about such complex topics. which AI? the one from today? The one 30 years from now? It depends on loads of stuff. It depends  how it will be regulated by governments. I would not want the China's AI  to influence my child for example.

Edited by Alexop

17 hours ago, Salvijus said:

AI is like having all the answers to every problem. But I don't think that's helpful in cultivating critical thinking, cultivating penetrative insight into various topics. Not helpful in sharpening your logic and intelect. Not helpful in developing your brains in any way I believe.

But maybe I'm missing something idk

I think AI can be seen as a complimentary tool which can help students develop critical thinking & logic, i.e: using Chat gpt to write an assignment at home and with no AI system discuss & critique it in the class. This will raise the bar for students and inspire newer ways to think & reason.

18 hours ago, Alexop said:

it is just werid to formulate arguments that are "for" or "against" something. The are lots of nuances when talking about such complex topics. And which AI? the one today? The one 30 years from now? It depends on loads of stuff. It depends  how it will be regulated by governments. I would not want the China's AI  to influence my child for example.

True, the topic is very loaded and it is challenging to take a definitive stance. But I'm participating in this debate primarily to improve my speaking skills and overcome stage fear. Besides The nature of the competition is more generic than professional, with a relatively low bar set for participants, Yet my aim would be to give my best. 

The potential to learn with AI could be great, but the possibility to cheat with AI is even greater. It will come down to the choice of the individual wheter they  truly want to understand something and get rewarded for it. Or cut the corners and get rewarded with little to no effort to understand.

AI can be said to be a tool for learning but in reality, AI is more of a result machine. It does the critical parts for you in most cases.

For AI to be a learning tool, it needs to be programed to inform/guide/question the student. Not just serve all answers on a silver plate and leave the student with the two options of either try to learn something or exploit the curent education systems.

Edited by ZzzleepingBear

On 16/10/2023 at 5:59 PM, Madhur said:

I am participating in a debate competition, the topic is "is AI boon or a Bane in education" :)

On 16/10/2023 at 5:59 PM, Madhur said:

Sorry I didn't see the word education. Think about it in this angle: how ai can reduce the bias among teachers in educating or grading children, how ai can create or modify learning content based on the requirements of the individual student, how ai can solve the problem of manpower etc.

Yes, merit does not exist.
It is still a slave concept which is based on nothing tangible.

If you dont understand, you're not twisted enough.

2 hours ago, Madhur said:

True, the topic is very loaded and it is challenging to take a definitive stance. But I'm participating in this debate primarily to improve my speaking skills and overcome stage fear. Besides The nature of the competition is more generic than professional, with a relatively low bar set for participants, Yet my aim would be to give my best. 

I get it, good luck ?