Basman

(Book Review) 12 Rules for Life, Jordan Peterson (7/10)

8 posts in this topic

Page count: 448

Published: 2018

Disappointingly, 12 Rules isn't 400 pages of self-help advice but more like a part essay on Jordan Peterson's philosophical/political worldview and part self-help advice. The book isn't written succinctly and to the point like a conventional self-help book with clear objectives, instead you get pages of anecdotes, personal stories, Christian mythology and musings on political trends like Feminism, 20th century totalitarianism and lobsters. It reads a bit like a JP stream-of-conscious.

You'll have 40 pages of anecdotes on Adam and Eve and the juxtaposition between state and individual for a chapter about "straightening your back".

When Peterson wants to, his advice can be brilliant. Certain chapters like Rule 6 (set your house in perfect order before you criticize others), that are shorter and more to the point where very effective at teaching me their relevant principles. Especially when Peterson used personal stories to cement a point, as opposed to Christian mythology or abstract political theory.

The principles in his book can improve your life if you can internalize them, and I have learned things that improved mine, but I think the lack of clarity and its boring writing makes it a tough read. There is good cream in there but its caked in-between layers of chaff. It can feel like the self-help aspect is just a pretext to talk about something else.

7/10

I feel that his rule 6 is wrong. 

You can criticize all you want because you are a divine being. You don't need a condition such as setting your house in perfect order before you criticize others. 

First of all, how to set it in perfect order? 😂 I believe JP won't make such a mistake and indeed he didn't mention the word 'perfect'.

When Peterson wants to, his advice can be brilliant. Certain chapters like Rule 6 (set your house in perfect order before you criticize others), that are shorter and more to the point where very effective at teaching me their relevant principles. Especially when Peterson used personal stories to cement a point, as opposed to Christian mythology or abstract political theory.

Edited by hyruga

On 20/10/2023 at 4:36 PM, hyruga said:

I feel that his rule 6 is wrong. 

You can criticize all you want because you are a divine being. You don't need a condition such as setting your house in perfect order before you criticize others. 

First of all, how to set it in perfect order? 😂 I believe JP won't make such a mistake and indeed he didn't mention the word 'perfect'.

The point is that criticism is a distraction when you are better of putting that energy into getting your stuff together. There is legit criticism to be had generally speaking, but that is carried out in a different manner. It less of a matter of identity.

Edited by Basman

It's an insightful reading. The biggest lesson I took from it is the fact that being harmless does not equal being good - an important point too often forgotten today in a victim-complex ridden culture.

"Those who have swords and know how to use them yet keep them sheathed shall inherit the earth".

i didn't finish the whole book, i think my fav rule "Rule 3: Make Friends with People Who Want the Best For You"

Thanks for following the rules. -Leo Gura

10/10 for actually formatting your review properly :D

“I once tried to explain existential dread to my toaster, but it just popped up and said, "Same."“ -Gemini AI

Like Sam Harris, Peterson is too intellectual, he's more emotonal than Harris, and Peterson has his own physical and mental health issues, I don't take advice or trust sources that claim to know but can't prove via their own lives situations, but I do listen to him once inawhile and watch some of his podcast reviews...always see how the person lives and do they have something you want, then listen to them..

Edited by Ishanga

Karma Means "Life is my Making", I am 100% responsible for my Inner Experience. -Sadhguru..."I don''t want Your Dreams to come True, I want something to come true for You beyond anything You could dream of!!" - Sadhguru