funkychunkymonkey

why is the mind so twisted?

9 posts in this topic

Depression has sprung up in my life in a very nasty way that at one point led me to trying to grab a cops gun. im just at that age when mental illness in males comes up, i sought help, got meds. Doesnt wanna go away. I was thinking of maybe an emotional support animal. BUT ANYWAYS how come someones mind can be so sad and hopeless? when i know its not true but my mind says screw it anyways. The points of silence i get from sporadic meditation is the only break i can get.

Have you been pursuing your passions and building a meaningful life?

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

6 hours ago, funkychunkymonkey said:

Depression has sprung up in my life in a very nasty way that at one point led me to trying to grab a cops gun. im just at that age when mental illness in males comes up, i sought help, got meds. Doesnt wanna go away. I was thinking of maybe an emotional support animal. BUT ANYWAYS how come someones mind can be so sad and hopeless? when i know its not true but my mind says screw it anyways. The points of silence i get from sporadic meditation is the only break i can get.

Possibly past trauma. You gotta work through it one way or the other if that's the case.

Otherwise look at your current situation: Are there things you don't want to acknowledge? Are you on the right track? Do you life authentically from moment to moment?

It also helps to just notice that it's not real. That doesn't solve it immediately, but it may shorten the time it takes to subside.

You could also go into WHY it's not real. What are counterarguments against your depressive thoughts in the moment? What situations went differently than you tell yourself?

Try finding good ways to distract yourself in between. I know that sounds counterintuitive, but it can really help to take your mind off that negative thought spiral for a moment. Sometimes it's just what happens and you gotta finish the slide until you can get back up again. But that point will definitely come, even when you don't see the possibility right now.

Have you spoken to a therapist or a friend? Telling your situation to others can help to gain new perspectives that are sometimes difficult to come up alone.

Edited by vibv

The Secret of this Universe is You.

my music

2 hours ago, vibv said:

Possibly past trauma. You gotta work through it one way or the other if that's the case.

Otherwise look at your current situation: Are there things you don't want to acknowledge? Are you on the right track? Do you life authentically from moment to moment?

It also helps to just notice that it's not real. That doesn't solve it immediately, but it may shorten the time it takes to subside.

You could also go into WHY it's not real. What are counterarguments against your depressive thoughts in the moment? What situations went differently than you tell yourself?

Try finding good ways to distract yourself in between. I know that sounds counterintuitive, but it can really help to take your mind off that negative thought spiral for a moment. Sometimes it's just what happens and you gotta finish the slide until you can get back up again. But that point will definitely come, even when you don't see the possibility right now.

Have you spoken to a therapist or a friend? Telling your situation to others can help to gain new perspectives that are sometimes difficult to come up alone.

Nice

Thought = Time. Without thought there's no time.

@vibv thank you, i dont live authentically i dont know who i am anymore it seems, since i gave up fighting cuz its not gonna help me get back what i lost (due to dui's). good advice thanks

That's the issue.

If you don't create meaning you won't have any.

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.