Pablogamalielm

Why Leo criticize Trump but he says nothing about Putin?

63 posts in this topic

Hi, 

I was wondering why Leo Gura always criticize Donald Trump but he never talks about Putin when his parents basically come from Russia, I've watched videos from Trump talking facts about situations of the U.S, France, Germany/Russia and was right about it (Trump I mean), but I don't understand why Leo never discuss the war on Ukraine or talk about this president (Putin) which is worst than Trump from my point of view.  

What do you think chat?

Leo does mention Putin occasionally.  I believe in spiral dynamics red. However more people are familiar with Trump so he's a more relatable example. 

I'm not surprise Putin was mentioned in that video lol. Yes, I went to see the comments of the vid, u know, where people marks the time of what Leo talks about and in one section he describe Putins form of government etc... Would better if instead of targeting one president (Trump) he goes global, just my opinion.

Best wishes, 

Because Trump is a moron and Putin is a genius.

Putin makes Russia strong while Trump makes America weak.

This has nothing to do with me supporting Putin's war. Serious geopolitics is a play here. And Trump is too dumb to even belong in the same conversation.

The standards for American and Russian politics are also very different. Russia is in a different developmental stage and survival situation.

Edited by Leo Gura

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

17 minutes ago, Leo Gura said:

Putin makes Russia strong while Trump makes America weak.

The Russian army went from second in the world to second in Ukraine, doesn't sound really strong to me.
If it wasn't for nuclear weapons the West would kick the Russian's ass 19th-century Crimean war style.

3 minutes ago, Vrubel said:

The Russian army went from second in the world to second in Ukraine, doesn't sound really strong to me.
If it wasn't for nuclear weapons the West would kick the Russian's ass 19th-century Crimean war style.

The US budget is 10x larger. And Russia is not supposed to be beating the US in a hot war. You are comparing apples and oranges.

Edited by Leo Gura

@Leo Gura America? I'm talking little corrupt Ukraine compared to giant oil and gas-rich Russia. Before the war, I thought Russia could take on the whole of Europe. 

I seriously don't know about what kind of genius you're talking about. There is a list from here to Tokyo about how this war negatively affects Russia and its strategic standing in the world.

Edited by Vrubel

8 minutes ago, Vrubel said:

@Leo Gura America? I'm talking little corrupt Ukraine compared to giant oil and gas-rich Russia. Before the war, I thought Russia could take on the whole of Europe. 

1) Ukraine = US+NATO proxy. So it's not so little. What count is funding.

2) This war has exposed weaknesses within Russia's military, which Putin now has a chance to remedy. So this war is helping to drive improvements for Russia. Part of the reasons countries go to war is just to test their own military and make improvements for the future.

Edited by Leo Gura

20 minutes ago, Leo Gura said:

1) Ukraine = US+NATO proxy. So it's not so little. What count is funding.

America did not really invest in the Ukrainian military before the 2014 Crimea takeover. Yes, funding but also motivated and capable people. 

20 minutes ago, Leo Gura said:

2) This war has exposed weaknesses within Russia's military, which Putin now has a chance to remedy. So this war is helping to drive improvements for Russia.

In war anything can happen but for now the Russians are not going anywhere outside of their holes. Ukraine might get a good chance after they receive Western fighter jets next year. If they're not booking any success then, it will be a serious cause for concern.  

But I still highly disagree with the notion that this war is somehow strategically beneficial for Russia. Worst case scenario they will border a westen aligned country with democratic ideals and human rights. Some countries border with worse like South Korea and Israel.

Edited by Vrubel

I see it as strategic bc there is very little chance of Russia becoming Ukraine.  However I do not agree with the idea of war under any circumstance. I  see countries like sports teams. It doesn't matter who wins if everyone is playing the same for profit game

1 hour ago, Leo Gura said:

1) Ukraine = US+NATO proxy.

Really?

Do you buy the claim that NATO is a tool by America to project power?

أشهد أن لا إله إلا الله وأشهد أن ليو رسول الله

1 hour ago, Vrubel said:

America did not really invest in the Ukrainian military before the 2014 Crimea takeover. Yes, funding but also motivated and capable people.

Those capable people became capable because they were trained by the US.

You think Ukrainians by themselves would be any more capable than Russians? Why?

But I still highly disagree with the notion that this war is somehow strategically beneficial for Russia. Worst case scenario they will border a westen aligned country with democratic ideals and human rights. Some countries border with worse like South Korea and Israel.

It is beneficial in the sense that it stops Ukraine from entering NATO. Putin was never going to allow that. This was not really a war of choice for Putin. Americans keep mistakenly thinking that it was.

11 minutes ago, Husseinisdoingfine said:

Do you buy the claim that NATO is a tool by America to project power?

Of course it is. Not exclusively. Obviously the Euro countries benefit too. It is a tool for Western hegemony. Which is why Putin is so opposed to it.

Edited by Leo Gura

8 minutes ago, Leo Gura said:

Of course it is. Not exclusively. Obviously the Euro countries benefit too. It is a tool for Western hegemony.

This makes sense, one suspected reason as to why Russia was denied entrance into NATO was because Russia being the giant that it is would have been very influential in NATO, making the U.S. compete for influence.

But concretely how does Europe benefit? I suppose it would be by being defended by the U.S. military while not paying much for defence.

35 minutes ago, Leo Gura said:

Those capable people became capable because they were trained by the US.

You think Ukrainians by themselves would be any more capable than Russians? Why?

I think you're really overreaching here. Don't insult the Ukrainians fighting. Motivation is the key factor, directly defending your own land because a war is imposed upon you and you have no choice is the deepest and biggest motivation there is. Of course, without aid, they would die, anybody would. America would have died without French aid. I have been to Ukraine I saw how corrupt it was, in a sense, it was not a respectable country. To be a country you need to fight for your independence and they are doing it right now. INDEPENDENCE, to determine your own destiny. 

35 minutes ago, Leo Gura said:

It is beneficial in the sense that it stops Ukraine from entering NATO. Putin was never going to allow that. This was not really a war of choice for Putin. Americans keep mistakenly thinking that it was.

I don't think this is true at all. Sure, I believe that Putin did a lot of projection because he himself is so criminal-minded or maybe 19th-century "war is the norm"-minded. Even in Africa or South America countries don't invade each other in the 21st century. Finland just joined NATO, so what? 

Again you're really stretching it with these justifications, and calling Putin a genius. Maybe you can learn from Russian literature that life is raw, hard, and unromantic and that shooting yourself in the foot has been more than once the Russian way.

Edited by Vrubel

6 minutes ago, Vrubel said:

I think you're really overreaching here. Don't insult the Ukrainians fighting. Motivation is the key factor, directly defending your own land because a war is imposed upon you and you have no choice is the deepest and biggest motivation there is.

Of course there is a natural advantage to fighting for defense of your home and life. Defensive forces always have the home-team advantage. And yes, Ukraine has much better morale than the Russians. But that doesn't address the issue of training, competency, and weapon supplies.

Again you're really stretching it with these justifications, and calling Putin a genius. Maybe you can learn from Russian literature that life is raw, hard, and unromantic and that shooting yourself in the foot has been more than once the Russian way.

Putin is a genius but that doesn't mean he can't miscalculate or make some strategic or tactical mistakes. Even a genius makes some mistakes.

Edited by Leo Gura

War is a paradox and can only be won by lack of participation.  Unless of course you consider diminishing yourself to become a worse monster than your enemies winning. 

The Ukrainian counter offensive is still going really slow, I think it's safe to say that the war is going to continue for another year as the borders have not changed at all in more than a year.

21 minutes ago, Leo Gura said:

Putin is a genius but that doesn't mean he can't miscalculate or make some strategic or tactical mistakes. Even a genius makes some mistakes.

What is his genius worth?

Neat 60 minutes interview.

34 minutes ago, Leo Gura said:

And yes, Ukraine has much better morale than the Russians

How can you assume this? what's it based off of?