Scholar

Visual hallucinations/phenomena days after taking psychedelic?

11 posts in this topic

So, I took 1V-LSD 5 days ago, and half an hour ago I started to get weird visual phenomena happening in my field of vision. It was very subtle at first, as if I stared too long at something bright, then it stated increasing and I could kind of see it having a psychedelic, fractal type effect. It was like a fractal tear in my vision,it  moved into the periphery of my vision, and now it seems mostly gone. It lasted for 15 minutes or so.

Any of you guys know what this is about? It is a little worrying, and makes me question whether or not taking psychedelics is safe for me.

Edited by Scholar

Glory to Israel

I found this:

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/19221973/

Recurrent disturbances of vision associated with headaches are typical signs of a migraine. A 15-year-old girl suffered from common migraine. The patient had a headache and nausea five days after a first and proved intake of LSD. Shortly later, a complete blindness of both eyes developed within seconds. These symptoms continued for 48 hours. As the pupillar reactions were intact the findings were consistent with cortical blindness. MRI and MR-angiography of the brain, analysis of the cerebrospinal fluid and blood investigations for thrombophilia were normal. The EEG showed a bilateral symmetrical delta wave slowing over the occipital areas. Within the following three months the girl had three more episodes with complete blindness over a period of 12-36 hours. There have never been any visual disturbances in between the episodes and afterwards. Extended diagnosis with long term blood pressure measurement, Doppler sonography and visual evoked potentials were normal. The occipital slowing in the EEG persisted for 18 months. As the symptoms were unusually long and severe for a complicated migraine it is possible that the temporary blindness was the correlate of flash backs caused by the LSD. LSD intake could trigger additional, local cortical dysfunction (e. g. in the occipital areas) in preexisting migraine.

Glory to Israel

I did some more research and it actually seems to just be an ocular migraine. Not sure if this is an after-effect of the substance, or caused by something else.

Glory to Israel

The first time I tried LSD, everything seemed trippy (colors, textures) for a few weeks after the trip, don't know why.

5 minutes ago, LSD-Rumi said:

The first time I tried LSD, everything seemed trippy (colors, textures) for a few weeks after the trip, don't know why.

There is a condition called HPPD (Hallucinogen persisting perception disorder), and some people report to have it permanently, or for months and years.

Glory to Israel

This might have different causes.  First, for most people V-LSD tends to be far more visual than other analogues. I've experienced that myself and had on 225ug as much visuals as on 400ug lsd and I think that can cause some after effects for a week as I've experienced that too. I would just wait at least a month to do another trip or change the analogues/substance.

Other things that might influence that might be enhanced pattern recognition which can also come from consciouness work.

Just to be  informed so you don't worry too much if it occurs because my ego got really worried when I became aware of the following.

You might get aware of small cristalls floating in your eyes which your brain normally removes like your blind spot on your retina or getting aware that your visual field acually vibrates and that it is appearing and disappearing like everything else and is literally changing forms

So turns out, this might have been caused by B12 injections. It seems like they cause delayed migraines in me, 1-2 days after injection.

I am not entirely sure this is the case yet, but I will be able to confirm on my next injection. The funny thing is, I took the first injection 2 days before my trip, and on the day of my trip I felt slightly sickly, and during the trip/after I was plagued by a migraine as well. I was attributing this to the trip, and days after I took the next injection, and 2 days after had the ocular migraine described here, I also attributed this to the LSD because of how similar it felt.

This goes to show how tricky it is sometimes to figure these things out, and how easy it is to come to false conclusions.

Glory to Israel

It's been over 5 years since I last took LSD, and I can still induce HPPD symptoms if I try (its probably always present to some degree). I also have a history of migraines. I'm actually not sure if it's mainly due to past heavy weed use or LSD.

Intrinsic joy is revealed in the marriage of meaning and being.

when I get relaxed visual field gets dissolved, quite radically, happened on 5meomalt and 5meodmt, and it kept happening after I sustained myself from psychedelics