Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
SQAAD

Should i Go to this Job that i have a Bad Feeling for?

11 posts in this topic

Recently, I've been searching for a job, and my current situation isn't great. I'd like to keep this post short. Ideally, I'd love to work as a web developer, but here in Greece, it's nearly impossible without a lot of experience and a programming degree. That's why I've been exploring other job options, ones where I can learn new skills.

I came across a job as a security technician, installing security systems in people's homes and more. I had an interview, and they want to hire me pending some paperwork. The good thing is that it's a job where I can learn and build a career.

The downside is that it involves long hours, about 9-10 hours of work per day (The hours are more than that when you consider the time required for preparation, commuting to the job, and so on.), with possible overtime and travel to different places. I have reservations about this job that I can't shake. I have a bad feeling about this job prospect that doesn't leave me.

I do not enjoy working all day and then returning home feeling drained. And then having no time for anything else.

Should I give this job a try and see how it goes, or should I decline it right away? Please, I need some advice.

Reject such a job. It's basically blue collar job and you have to travel to many homes. You will end up rushing from one home to another in order to reach home earlier.

In general I think doing a job this many hours a day and being drained from it for the rest of the time is not aligned with your Self-Actualization. It could rob your energy, time and passion. 

There are two exceptions that come to my mind, that could make it the right path for you forward:

1. If you see huge growth opportunities for you personally if you do a job like this for a few months.

2. If it could lead you into the right direction with the actualization of your purpose and/or lead you to new opportunities on the way of actualizing your purpose.

@Cireeric

On 15/9/2023 at 3:40 PM, Cireeric said:

In general I think doing a job this many hours a day and being drained from it for the rest of the time is not aligned with your Self-Actualization. It could rob your energy, time and passion. 

There are two exceptions that come to my mind, that could make it the right path for you forward:

1. If you see huge growth opportunities for you personally if you do a job like this for a few months.

2. If it could lead you into the right direction with the actualization of your purpose and/or lead you to new opportunities on the way of actualizing your purpose.

Very good response. Thank you.

@Spiritual Warrior

On 15/9/2023 at 8:27 PM, Spiritual Warrior said:

Trust your intuition. You already know what the right decision is. 

Yes... i think i should not get this job but i am also fearful of rejecting it. I fear the consequences of not getting this job.

@hyruga

On 15/9/2023 at 3:27 PM, hyruga said:

Reject such a job. It's basically blue collar job and you have to travel to many homes. You will end up rushing from one home to another in order to reach home earlier.

I like being physically active. And it is generally a 'clean' job compared to other blue collar jobs. Plus you learn stuff about security systems and etc. 

I think i will be going to one home per day. But the hours are a lot. And they want me to work overtime and Saturdays.

If the hours of work were less i would not have such a big problem with this job...

38 minutes ago, SQAAD said:

@hyruga

I like being physically active. And it is generally a 'clean' job compared to other blue collar jobs. Plus you learn stuff about security systems and etc. 

I think i will be going to one home per day. But the hours are a lot. And they want me to work overtime and Saturdays.

If the hours of work were less i would not have such a big problem with this job...

If it's one home per day, it's not too bad if the distance is not far.

Also you have to check the schedule and what's your travelling rebates? Because you have to move so much, you have to check how the company will cover your travelling expenses.

Another thing is some of these security system requires cameras to be installed at highpoint of 4 metres or higher. There are people who fell down ladder because the ladder is not stable. So you have to check out your insurance and medical coverage as well.

You can go for it if it's just visiting one home per day. It can be fun and enriching visiting one home a day without the stress of too much travelling. And yes, rely on your feelings as well.

If you take this job you could meet a new person every day.  You can also study w,e you want in the meantime.  If you don't need it, then don't do it. But most people don't have the luxury to be picky imo.