Danioover9000

John Mearsheimer views of the Russia/Ukraine conflict.

38 posts in this topic

Do the majority of Ukrainians really favor a Western lifestyle, or is it being imposed on them?     Western Ukraine is more European with a Catholic population.  But Eastern Ukraine is more Russian and Orthodox Christian.   Maybe it makes more sense for some of the eastern area to be part of Russia.

Vincit omnia Veritas.

@Jodistrict

42 minutes ago, Jodistrict said:

Do the majority of Ukrainians really favor a Western lifestyle, or is it being imposed on them?     Western Ukraine is more European with a Catholic population.  But Eastern Ukraine is more Russian and Orthodox Christian.   Maybe it makes more sense for some of the eastern area to be part of Russia.

@Jodistrict

On 2023-09-10 at 6:31 PM, Jodistrict said:

Here is another Mearsheimer interview.   The Duran Report is a good independent source of information on the war that is outside the Western corporate media propaganda.

Very nice video, thanks for sharing. I might even add this and body language analyze the speakers.

Also, like the format design, I feel ike it's inspired by rebel wisdom's, no?

On 9-9-2023 at 5:32 AM, Leo Gura said:

No doubt in the long-term view the US played a big role provoking this war. The issue is that the US feels entitled to expand itself as far as it wants. This is part of the US arrogance, exceptionalism, and bias.

But Putin is also not innocent in how we conducts this war. Putin has no respect for Ukrainian sovereignty. If he could he would incorporate Ukraine into Russia.

The real cause of this war was that Ukraine started allying itself with the West, slowly infected with Western culture, and there was no way Putin was going to sit by and let that happen. Putin believes Ukraine belongs to the East. And he does not respect Ukraine's decision to side with the West culturally. So in a sense it's a literal culture war.

I think culture plays a minor role. Ukrainians are not overly positive about Western culture, even in the part that has traditionally been more pro-Western. On the contrary - I'd say that Ukraine is culturally closer to Russia. Two more important factors that have made them look Westwards are 1) the deep fear for Russia that exists in Eastern Europe - resulting in the majority of Ukrainians wanting to join NATO + 2) the wish to strengthen the economy / reduce corruption (with the Baltics and especially Poland as shining examples) - resulting in the majority of Ukrainians wanting to join EU.

But yes, the result is the same: Ukraine aligning with the West and Putin not accepting that.

Man, screw YouTube, trying to cancel and censor John Mearsheimer's perspectives and closing down some Channels huh? Pathetic.

On 10/09/2023 at 6:31 PM, Jodistrict said:

The Duran Report is a good independent source of information on the war that is outside the Western corporate media propaganda.

xD 

I dont get why Maersheimer calls the West and more specifically USA stupid. From a geopolitical point of view, USA is clearly the winner in this conflict (so far). Russia has lost 100.000's of people, having no options to play a military role elsewhere, their economy is vulnerable, the ruble has plunged and they are facing a war which will go on for years. Their future looks indeed very bleak. At the same time USA is only using a fraction of it's BNP to keep this war going and suffering zero (or near zero) casualties. Plus giving a warning to China.

@Con heo dien

3 hours ago, Con heo dien said:

I dont get why Maersheimer calls the West and more specifically USA stupid. From a geopolitical point of view, USA is clearly the winner in this conflict (so far). Russia has lost 100.000's of people, having no options to play a military role elsewhere, their economy is vulnerable, the ruble has plunged and they are facing a war which will go on for years. Their future looks indeed very bleak. At the same time USA is only using a fraction of it's BNP to keep this war going and suffering zero (or near zero) casualties. Plus giving a warning to China.

Actually China seems like the winner long term, assuming the USA bogs itself with the Ukraine/Russia conflict, which ironically all came because the USA ignored the Russian warnings of Ukraine becoming a NATO member as an existential crisis, and kept pushing Ukraine to join NATO. How would the USA felt if Russia tried to push Canada and Mexico into being members of the USSR? The Cuban missile crisis, and Cuba converting from capitalism into communism when Fidel Castro came into power, was already from American hegemony and it's own interests close to an existential crisis.

Hell, the American war of independence, from GB's perspective, those founding fathers and the American revolutionists, were terrorists, even though those revolutionists viewed themselves as 'freedom fighters'. fast forward many centuries later, after 9/11, those same Americans call Saddam Hussain and Iraq a bunch of 'terrorists'. The hypocrisy is deep. 

13 hours ago, Danioover9000 said:

@Con heo dien

Actually China seems like the winner long term, assuming the USA bogs itself with the Ukraine/Russia conflict, which ironically all came because the USA ignored the Russian warnings of Ukraine becoming a NATO member as an existential crisis, and kept pushing Ukraine to join NATO. How would the USA felt if Russia tried to push Canada and Mexico into being members of the USSR? The Cuban missile crisis, and Cuba converting from capitalism into communism when Fidel Castro came into power, was already from American hegemony and it's own interests close to an existential crisis.

Hell, the American war of independence, from GB's perspective, those founding fathers and the American revolutionists, were terrorists, even though those revolutionists viewed themselves as 'freedom fighters'. fast forward many centuries later, after 9/11, those same Americans call Saddam Hussain and Iraq a bunch of 'terrorists'. The hypocrisy is deep. 

That's what super powers do - protect their own interest at the expense of the less powerful. But stating that USA has pushed Ukraine into wanting to become a NATO member is too simplistic. It's a love relationship from both sides. The Eastern European NATO members are very happy to be part of the alliance. Finland and Sweden are joining too. No doubt USA plays a role in all this, but the root cause cannot be manipulated. That root cause is a fear for Russia.

@Con heo dien

33 minutes ago, Con heo dien said:

That's what super powers do - protect their own interest at the expense of the less powerful. But stating that USA has pushed Ukraine into wanting to become a NATO member is too simplistic. It's a love relationship from both sides. The Eastern European NATO members are very happy to be part of the alliance. Finland and Sweden are joining too. No doubt USA plays a role in all this, but the root cause cannot be manipulated. That root cause is a fear for Russia.

The problem was when they Russian foreign relations told the Americans that Ukraine joining is an existential crisis for them, and they ignored and kept pressuring Ukriane and other European countries to be NATO members. Even Angela Merkil, former German president, was initially against them joining NATO as that would trigger Russia into going to war.

No, that is the case that the USA has pushed Ukraine into joining, due to various developmental factors, like ideological/narrative/information warfare, Value systems, cognitive and moral development, mass psychology, various areas of development in culture and society. The collective ego of the USA wishes to spread it's own ideologies like capitalism, neo liberalism, hyper individualism, democracy as it sees it, and so on onto other cultures that are neutral or different to the USA.

There are 2 seperate discussions here I think. One is the geopolicial playfield in which the West, Russia and China are taking care of their own interests. This one seems pretty obvious, the West wanting to add Ukraine to the list of allies and Russia resisting that. They both manipulate the hell out of each other and Ukraine. But there is also the discussion of the direction Ukraine wants to move into.

My understanding is that you deny or downplay that there is a fear in Ukraine for Russia and that it is fabricated and manipulated by the West. 

Ok, the West indeed offers capitalism, neo liberalism, hyper individualism, democracy and that is exactly what the majority in Ukraine wants. What has Russia to offer to Ukraine?

@Con heo dien

1 hour ago, Con heo dien said:

There are 2 seperate discussions here I think. One is the geopolicial playfield in which the West, Russia and China are taking care of their own interests. This one seems pretty obvious, the West wanting to add Ukraine to the list of allies and Russia resisting that. They both manipulate the hell out of each other and Ukraine. But there is also the discussion of the direction Ukraine wants to move into.

My understanding is that you deny or downplay that there is a fear in Ukraine for Russia and that it is fabricated and manipulated by the West. 

Ok, the West indeed offers capitalism, neo liberalism, hyper individualism, democracy and that is exactly what the majority in Ukraine wants. What has Russia to offer to Ukraine?

I'll tell you after you tag my name when you quote me.

It was sorta stupid to push Russia to ally with China by over-expanding NATO.

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

9 hours ago, Leo Gura said:

It was sorta stupid to push Russia to ally with China by over-expanding NATO.

Indeed, but in the long run it was nearly inevitble that China and Russia would team up for confrontation with the West. China and Russia are fundamentally aligned. This war has perhaps only sped up things a bit.

Wtf. I just read Russia lost 250k soldiers in the war in Ukraine? Those are insane numbers. Especially since Russia has a fertility rate problem. 

@StarStruck

15 minutes ago, StarStruck said:

Wtf. I just read Russia lost 250k soldiers in the war in Ukraine? Those are insane numbers. Especially since Russia has a fertility rate problem. 

In the long run doesn't matter, Russia will keep on sending soldiers, and they have lots of artillery to use.