Something Funny

What Is A Realistic Plan To Start A Manufacturing Business?

8 posts in this topic

Let's say I want to make clothes or shoes. I have zero knowledge, or experience, or money. Where do I start?

I guess I need to learn product design first. Which includes creating a digital sketch/prototype and picking materials.

Do I also need to be able to make it on my own? I.E. know how to sew clothes/make shoes.

Then I need to develop a clear understanding of the production process and what I need: machines, physical space, materials, how many employess, etc.

I also need to know where to get all of those.

How do learn that? Are there an curses / books about what it takes to manufacture clothing?

What about money?

How do I get from working 9 to 5 and having zero savings by the end of the month to having enough money to start a business like that?

Do I start some shitty, low investment business first to get enough starting capital? Do I get a higher paying job and start saving money? Do I try to crowdfund it?

Getting a loan sounds like a shit idea, right?

34 minutes ago, Something Funny said:

Do I also need to be able to make it on my own? I.E. know how to sew clothes/make shoes.

Yeah Phil Knight, CEO of Nike, hand crafts every single nike sneaker and clothing item all by himself. Im being sarcastic, but obviously you dont need to be able to physically make anything. Look on all your clothes and they will say made in china or some 3rd world country. You outsource your manufacturing to factories that can mass produce. 

For getting something as simple as a t shirt, there are plenty of websites where you can simply create a design and theyll print them for you. All you would have to do is link it to a shopify store and start advertising to make sales.

37 minutes ago, Something Funny said:

How do learn that? Are there an curses / books about what it takes to manufacture clothing?

Take every question you have about this and type it into google and youtube. An inspiring book would be Shoe Dog by Phil Knight where he talks about the personal challenges it took to create Nike. It was a different era back then but still very valuable lessons for any entrepreneur.

40 minutes ago, Something Funny said:

What about money?

You dont need a ton of money for a test run of basic items like shirts and shorts. I have a friend who started a clothing brand with like $1000 and sold to friends and family and made enough money for a second batch

@Phil King I don't won't to create some no name chinese mass producion crap and sell it on shopify.

I want to create a unique artistic product, which is made ethically and sustainably. I want to create a nice, beautiful niche brand.

While also using local means of production, employing local people, creating great working conditions, and paying above average salary.

And if I expect people who work for me to make the shoes with their own hands, I think it's a good idea to be able to make them on my own, or at least have a very through understanding of the whole process. So that I know what to expect and what to ask for.

I am not interested in Nike, my company will be the exact opposite of Nike.

Having a solid and written down business idea to appeal to investors or government grants, also having a team of few people ready to go.

I believe that today your best workhorse will be quality, like well-cut, organic clothing, without polyester (plastics) etc.

If you dont understand, you're not twisted enough.

@Something Funny Manufacturing is hard. I tested it myself.

It depends what kind of product you want to create. If you start from scratch and create unique product, your manufacturing process is going to be very ineffective. I will assume here that you are doing it yourself. It means that your pay per hour is going to be super low.

Another problem is selling your product. You need to spend a lot of time advertising to even make people aware off your product. Than you need to convince them that it's worth paying premium.

Because of problems mentioned above I switched to reselling. Product is already made and well known. There is zero risk that I will not be able to sell it. There is also no need for advertisement.

Having great product is secondary, first you need to be able to sell it.