Something Funny

What is Tofu made of?

7 posts in this topic

I've always thought that tofu has a lot of protein in it. However, I've just bought it and it's just 13 grams, which is similar to what you have in regular grains.

There are also:

7.5 gramms of fat

1.8 gramms of carbs

1 gramm of fiber

1 gramm of salt

And 0.2 gramms of calcium

Which gives us 24.5 gramms in total, out of 100. Where did the rest 75 gramms go? Why are they not accounted for?

Water

MD. Internal medicine/gastroenterology - Evidence based integral health approaches

"Perhaps all the dragons in our lives are princesses who are only waiting to see us act, just once, with beauty and courage. Perhaps everything that frightens us is, in its deepest essence, something helpless that wants our love."
- Rainer Maria Rilke

3 hours ago, Something Funny said:

I've always thought that tofu has a lot of protein in it. However, I've just bought it and it's just 13 grams, which is similar to what you have in regular grains.

But the percentage is much higher. 

6 hours ago, Jannes said:

But the percentage is much higher. 

I think he means per 100g. It depends on the processing and density but for firm tofu, you'll usually get 10-14g protein / 100 g weight tops. Whenever you see higher values they are usually measuring cups - Americans like to do that. 

You get about twice as much for Tempeh per gram 

But then nothing prevents you from smashing an entire 400g block in one go if you want to be a freak & a soyboy for life :D no offence indicated there - I love being a soyboy too ;)

Edited by Michael569

“If you find yourself acting to impress others, or avoiding action out of fear of what they might think, you have left the path.” ― Epictetus

God.

Don't know.

Edited by UnbornTao