caspex

Extremely bad spending habits - need help

29 posts in this topic

21 hours ago, EugeneTheSage said:

I've had a similar problem. Before I liked cooking. But then I moved into the room with an awful common kitchen. I really didn't like to appear in the kitchen and also I needed to run 100m back&forth between the kitchen and my room, so after some time I stopped cooking at all. Actually, I had similar situations for the past 4 years - I never had a kitchen which is clean and neat and had enough space for me to cook. Because of this, my eating habits worsened. Also besides this, the cooking process became irritating for me, I just couldn't wait before the food would be ready.

However, after initiation into Shambhavi Mahamudra Kriya, I started liking the process of cooking. Sadhguru said that when you do Shambhavi, I start liking making "precise movements" and your movements become precise. And it was so for me.

I am facing the exact problem. Thanks for your input. I'll do spiritual practices that make you love precision.

I am going to lower my caffeine intake and replace it with simple milk and honey. After tracking my diet, it seems I am not even meeting my daily protein requirement.

@Swarnim you seem to be a big brain kind of guy, best course of action is to start bodybuilding to build a respectable posture then run for India presidency and change the world. This is destiny. 

Edited by integral

How is this post just me acting out my ego in the usual ways? Is this post just me venting and justifying my selfishness? Are the things you are posting in alignment with principles of higher consciousness and higher stages of ego development? Are you acting in a mature or immature way? Are you being selfish or selfless in your communication? Are you acting like a monkey or like a God-like being?

@Swarnim ???Never looked at it this way, so good. 

How is this post just me acting out my ego in the usual ways? Is this post just me venting and justifying my selfishness? Are the things you are posting in alignment with principles of higher consciousness and higher stages of ego development? Are you acting in a mature or immature way? Are you being selfish or selfless in your communication? Are you acting like a monkey or like a God-like being?

On 14/8/2023 at 0:17 PM, Osaid said:

Find foods that are simultaneously all of what I list below:

-Filling

-Comforting

-Nutritious

Foods with fiber will keep you satisfied for longer.

Also, REALLY pay attention to how food makes you feel. Seriously weigh out what IS and ISN'T worth eating. Certain foods will make your stomach feel heavy and agitated (if they are overly spicy or low quality). Like, if you pay attention, certain foods will LITERALLY taint your consciousness. It will make your conscious experience, and thus, your conscious reality, dull and agitated. This should be taken very seriously. Pay genuine attention to HOW bad food is ACTUALLY bad, don't just intellectually tell yourself "oh this is bad because my doctor told me" or something of the sort. Notice how it is bad in your own experience for yourself.

On the other hand, certain foods will taste really good and make you feel full at the same time.

Really, if you just master your diet and health, you won't need to spend anything for comfort, easier said than done of course, but I've kind of given you basic and practical ideas as to how to start doing that quickly.

Here's what I learnt in the past week of following your advice

Obviously Junk food makes me feel heavy and so is the case with most fast foods, while normal home cooked food if eaten the right amount of, feels good and filling. But I noticed that I don't feel the bad affects of junk food such as heaviness or laziness if I am not in a conscious state of mind. If  I am in a low state of consciousness and am also distracted from entertainment all day then eating these things seemingly has no effect (i.e. they have an effect, but i just don't notice them because my awareness is low.) This is why I continue to eat junk food and spending on things. The core problem is my low baseline which gives rise to these habits in the first place.

Awareness is curative but to sustain proper awareness to not indulge in bad habits means to raise your baseline. This is a simple insight but crucial. The reason for my bad eating habits is my low awareness.

Healthier, less stimulating foods also taste better if you stop eating the overstimulating ones. I have a found a lot more sources of good protein since. I don't need to worry about other nutrients because they are covered in the variety of seasonal vegetables I buy every week.

I think they key is to cook foods that are neither too stimulating nor too boring. Keeping it simple filling is the key. Potatoes give a lot of energy while roti fills you up for a while. If I drop the overstimulating foods then every other food becomes a little more comforting.

I have some idea now of what foods to eat and what to avoid. But the key solution to my problem is to increase my baseline, in whatever way, be it through spiritual practices or cutting out other bad habits that lower it.

On 8/14/2023 at 9:45 AM, Swarnim said:

I did this and saw that a glass of Soda actually makes me feel more aware like tea, that's why I drink it in the first place. It doesn't feel bad to me if it's only a glass, yet I want to avoid that much sugar. Maybe I am just not aware enough yet to see the subtle effects it has.

I'll do what you said for a week and give you a report. You don't have to read it I am just doing that so I can commit

Every body's body is different. All facts about nutrition are generalized knowledge. How much sugar you should and shouldn't intake is based on your individual body and how it digests it.

Some people cannot take in certain types of sugars, and some can take it and never have a health condition arise from it. You have to research through experimentation to see what works for you. Generalized understanding of nutrition can only take you so far.

https://www.hsph.harvard.edu/nutritionsource/precision-nutrition/

Edited by Razard86

You are a selfless LACK OF APPEARANCE, that CONSTRUCTS AN APPEARANCE. But that appearance can disappear and reappear and we call that change, we call it time, we call it space, we call it distance, we call distinctness, we call it other. But notice...this appearance, is a SELF. A SELF IS A CONSTRUCTION!!! 

So if you want to know the TRUTH OF THE CONSTRUCTION. Just deconstruct the construction!!!! No point in playing these mind games!!! No point in creating needless complexity!!! The truth of what you are is a BLANK!!!! A selfless awareness....then that means there is NO OTHER, and everything you have ever perceived was JUST AN APPEARANCE, A MIRAGE, AN ILLUSION, IMAGINARY. 

Everything that appears....appears out of a lack of appearance/void/no-thing, non-sense (can't be sensed because there is nothing to sense). That is what you are, and what arises...is made of that. So nonexistence, arises/creates existence. And thus everything is solved.

On 8/22/2023 at 9:20 AM, Swarnim said:

Here's what I learnt in the past week of following your advice

Obviously Junk food makes me feel heavy and so is the case with most fast foods, while normal home cooked food if eaten the right amount of, feels good and filling. But I noticed that I don't feel the bad affects of junk food such as heaviness or laziness if I am not in a conscious state of mind. If  I am in a low state of consciousness and am also distracted from entertainment all day then eating these things seemingly has no effect (i.e. they have an effect, but i just don't notice them because my awareness is low.) This is why I continue to eat junk food and spending on things. The core problem is my low baseline which gives rise to these habits in the first place.

Awareness is curative but to sustain proper awareness to not indulge in bad habits means to raise your baseline. This is a simple insight but crucial. The reason for my bad eating habits is my low awareness.

Healthier, less stimulating foods also taste better if you stop eating the overstimulating ones. I have a found a lot more sources of good protein since. I don't need to worry about other nutrients because they are covered in the variety of seasonal vegetables I buy every week.

I think they key is to cook foods that are neither too stimulating nor too boring. Keeping it simple filling is the key. Potatoes give a lot of energy while roti fills you up for a while. If I drop the overstimulating foods then every other food becomes a little more comforting.

I have some idea now of what foods to eat and what to avoid. But the key solution to my problem is to increase my baseline, in whatever way, be it through spiritual practices or cutting out other bad habits that lower it.

Sorry for the late reply.

My main advice from this would just be that, when you start eating healthily, if you eat that way long enough, your body will get accustomed to that, and then there will come a point where when you try to "indulge" in junk food again, you'll just be like "Holy shit what the fuck did this just do to my body? Why did I think this was a good idea? There are foods that taste just as good as this, and don't make me feel like shit, so why am I eating this?"

Also, your body craving things or being hungry or malnourished is completely valid. If you have not eaten properly, you will be hungry, and your body will look for ANY food source to satiate it. So, don't try to combat this feature of your body, work with it. When you're at some pizza shop, and you feel a strong craving for pizza, that means you simply didn't give the body enough food and nutrients it needed beforehand, so now it is seeking out the closest source of nutrition possible. Work with the intelligence of your body. The body doesn't play around, it only thinks in life or death.

It is a fact that if you eat ANY food in proper porportions, there will come a point where you are simply full and completely satiated. Just do this with healthy food, and you won't have a desire to binge on anything.

From time to time, I will eat things that are not optimal if my energy levels are low and I haven't eaten properly, but I tend to be very careful about it, and I try to wash it down with some hot drink like coffee or tea to make the digestion more efficient. This is what it means to eat intuitively. All food is fuel and energy, none of it is really "junk" per say, it just might be trickier to utilize or metabolize. It's up to you how you want to utilize the fuel source. 

Edited by Osaid

"God is not a conclusion, it is a sudden revelation. When you see a rose it is not that you go through a logical solipsism, "This is a rose, and roses are beautiful, so this must be beautiful." The moment you see it, the head stops spinning thoughts. On the contrary, your heart starts beating faster. It is something totally different from the idea of truth." -Osho