Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
PlayOnWords

Shameless Advertising Mega-Thread

14 posts in this topic

A thread to highlight marketings manipulative methods and the potential consequences of blindly trusting advertising.

Reed.co.uk, a job search website, proposing a career - rat race type jobs - will make you fall in love with Mondays and 'be the person you want to be'.

Edited by PlayOnWords

Charlie Sheen in Japanese cigarette advert. The advert suggests it's cool to smoke, it's part of the glitz and glamour, and at the end Charlie Sheen catches the eye of a girl who sees him smoking and a romance begins to blossom.

Cockney man's man Ray Winstone in online betting advert. Some quotes: 'You're in control', 'just forget about the final whistle', 'sometimes you've just gotta take the money and run', 'the world's favourite online sports betting company'.

Highly appealing for men with a crude, rigid view of masculinity (Stage Red, Orange): the risk, the bravery, the reward.

Total unabashed preying upon the demographic with body-image problems.

Good timing for this kind of thread, I was gonna make on but backed off. This commercial/advertising seems kind of dystopian to me. It's almost like it was made by robots or something. "Shopping like a billionaire.", while clearly not spending that kind of money just seems like a blatant trigger for materialism in someone's reptilian brain. It makes me actually uncomfortable to watch it.

hrhrhtewgfegege

My personal favorite from big tobacco 

"It is from my open heart that I will mirror you, and reflect back to you all that you are:

As a being of love, of energy, 

of passion, and truth."

“We have two ears and one mouth so we can listen twice as much as we speak." -Epictetus

This guy is such a hilariously bad actor.

“We are most nearly ourselves when we achieve the seriousness of the child at play.” - Heraclitus