Majed

is the liberal mind wiser than the conservative mind ?

97 posts in this topic

after having studied leo's episodes on the conservative and the liberal minds as well as his episode on wisdom. i found that the liberal mind corresponded more to the description of the wise mind whereas the conservative mind was more leaning towards the foolish mind. 

similarities between the liberal and the wise mind include: high emotional intelligence. greater cognitive complexity and capacity for nuance. greater ability for self reflection. value for education and intellectuality. great capacity for open mindedness. humanism and selflessness...

similarities between the conservative and the foolish mind: the opposite of the above list.

@Majed

1 hour ago, Majed said:

after having studied leo's episodes on the conservative and the liberal minds as well as his episode on wisdom. i found that the liberal mind corresponded more to the description of the wise mind whereas the conservative mind was more leaning towards the foolish mind. 

similarities between the liberal and the wise mind include: high emotional intelligence. greater cognitive complexity and capacity for nuance. greater ability for self reflection. value for education and intellectuality. great capacity for open mindedness. humanism and selflessness...

similarities between the conservative and the foolish mind: the opposite of the above list.

DUDE! That's such a straw man of a conservative mind, come on don't bad faith tactics like that. IMO, what makes a liberal mind vs conservative minded person good/bad is relative to other factors such as stages of development, cognitive and moral development, personality types/traits, ego development and shadow aspects, life experiences and other lines of development, ideological indoctrinations from upbringing and culture and political/religious/economic beliefs, and self biases and preferences you have. In fact, you're more left leaning, maybe social/progressive, and the sad truth is, no matter what your like or don't like, the world has uses for conservatively minded people and liberal minded people. We're already deep in the culture/narrative/information warfare that it's harder to remain good faith in communications.

IMO there's wisdom in both a conservative mind and liberal mind, you just have to understand and empathize with either mind nature.

In general, yes.

Conservatives are too stuck in their own selves to be intellectually honest.

Too much bias.

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong."

This sums up the conservative mind pretty good.

10 minutes ago, Recursoinominado said:

In general, yes.

Too much bias.

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong."

The most understanding people I've ever known were conservative.

Not even because they are "nicer" in the sensible sense of the term (on the contrary), but because there is in conservative people, in general, a tendency to greater detachment, greater phlegmatism, which makes them de facto actually more open than many and even most progressives. People on the right are much less likely to walk away from you/block you if you are on the left than the opposite, and social relations between the former are more chill than among the latter.                I regularly get proof of all this in my daily life.

Moreover, conservatives, right-wing people, are not Catholic people dressed in navy blue who want to kill homosexuals and ethnic minorities, it's much more nuanced than that.

Edited by Schizophonia

If you dont understand, you're not twisted enough.

Conservative = Ying

Liberal = Yang

Wisdom = Tai Chi

23 minutes ago, Schizophonia said:

Moreover, conservatives, right-wing people, are not Catholic people dressed in navy blue who want to kill homosexuals and ethnic minorities, it's much more nuanced than that.

Of course they can be nice.

Even a nazi can be a good parent or a good friend, the problem is that their circle of empathy is small and everyone outside of it can go fuck themselves.

Conservatives can be nice until they have to give up some small piece of privilege.

@Recursoinominado

3 hours ago, Recursoinominado said:

In general, yes.

Too much bias.

How, and why does that summery justify condemning conservatives as intellectually dishonest? To what degree are conservatives so 'stuck in their own selves' and 'intellectually dishonest'?

How do you know they are too biased?

What in this statement 'For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong' sums up the conservative mind pretty well? By sum you do mean 'total' or ALL conservatives right? 

@Recursoinominado

2 hours ago, Recursoinominado said:

Of course they can be nice.

Even a nazi can be a good parent or a good friend, the problem is that their circle of empathy is small and everyone outside of it can go fuck themselves.

Conservatives can be nice until they have to give up some small piece of privilege.

Do you agree or disagree with this statement 'ALL conservatives are Nazis'?

@WeCome1

3 hours ago, WeCome1 said:

Conservative = Ying

Liberal = Yang

Wisdom = Tai Chi

Actually, Yin is the softer white part of the Yin-Yang circle, that is anabolic and 'light'. Yang is the harder, denser catabolic side of the Yin-Yang simple. So, to me YIN=Liberal, YANG=conservative.

With Tai Chi, I do think it equals intelligence, and WISDOM=chi gong instead, because understand is part explicit, part implicit, and wisdom is the combination of rationality, logic, sequencing, emotions, intuition, holistic and big picture thinking=WISDOM, as WISDOM is a subtle multipolar intelligence.

@Schizophonia

3 hours ago, Schizophonia said:

The most understanding people I've ever known were conservative.

Not even because they are "nicer" in the sensible sense of the term (on the contrary), but because there is in conservative people, in general, a tendency to greater detachment, greater phlegmatism, which makes them de facto actually more open than many and even most progressives. People on the right are much less likely to walk away from you/block you if you are on the left than the opposite, and social relations between the former are more chill than among the latter.                I regularly get proof of all this in my daily life.

I agree, some conservatives that come to my mind are Hodge Twins, Jesse Lee Peterson, Jordan Peterson, typical classic military types, and those that over value a rigid schedule and order.

1 hour ago, Danioover9000 said:

How, and why does that summery justify condemning conservatives as intellectually dishonest?

That's what being biased means. You are not commited with truth, your commitment is with your own interests.

To what degree are conservatives so 'stuck in their own selves' and 'intellectually dishonest'?

It is a big spectrum.

Do you agree or disagree with this statement 'ALL conservatives are Nazis'?

Stop this bullshit.

@Recursoinominado

1 hour ago, Recursoinominado said:

That's what being biased means. You are not commited with truth, your commitment is with your own interests.

It is a big spectrum.

Stop this bullshit.

What do you mean when you say this is what being biased means? what does commitment with true have to do with being biased? What does my commitment and own interests have to do with bias? So is bias then evil by implication?

Can you elaborate a bit on why it's a big spectrum? Give me one example of 'intellectual dishonesty' and 'stuck in their own selves' from a conservative.

Is this 'stop this bullshit' an agreement or disagreement with the statement 'ALL conservatives are Nazis"? And why is it bullshit in your words?

Edited by Danioover9000

2 hours ago, Danioover9000 said:

@WeCome1

Actually, Yin is the softer white part of the Yin-Yang circle, that is anabolic and 'light'. Yang is the harder, denser catabolic side of the Yin-Yang simple. So, to me YIN=Liberal, YANG=conservative.

With Tai Chi, I do think it equals intelligence, and WISDOM=chi gong instead, because understand is part explicit, part implicit, and wisdom is the combination of rationality, logic, sequencing, emotions, intuition, holistic and big picture thinking=WISDOM, as WISDOM is a subtle multipolar intelligence.

I think you confused catabolic with anabolic.

@Schizophonia

1 minute ago, Schizophonia said:

I think you confused catabolic with anabolic.

What do you mean I confused catabolic with anabolic? Can you explain?

6 minutes ago, Danioover9000 said:

@Schizophonia

What do you mean I confused catabolic with anabolic? Can you explain?

Anabolism = conservation/volume gain.
But I would rather associate anabolism with conservatism, in the collective unconscious the conservatives are the people who are more interested in work, savings, and the values of social rigors as societal in general.

Edited by Schizophonia

@Schizophonia

1 minute ago, Schizophonia said:

Anabolism = conservation/volume gain.
But I would rather associate anabolism with conservatism, in the collective unconscious the conservatives are the people who are more interested in work, savings, and the values of social rigors as societal in general.

Catabolism=breaking things down. Anabolism=building things up. Yin can sometimes symbolize destruction when things get lighter, from matter to energy, and Yang is sometimes symbolizes density and mass gathering, making things heavier.

For example, relaxing your muscles down is Yin, and tension of the muscles is Yang.

Unless you have another definition, and in your words, what does anabolism, catabolism, Yin and Yang symbol?

7 minutes ago, Danioover9000 said:

@Schizophonia

Catabolism=breaking things down. Anabolism=building things up. Yin can sometimes symbolize destruction when things get lighter, from matter to energy, and Yang is sometimes symbolizes density and mass gathering, making things heavier.

For example, relaxing your muscles down is Yin, and tension of the muscles is Yang.

Unless you have another definition, and in your words, what does anabolism, catabolism, Yin and Yang symbol?

These are not my definitions of catabolism/anabolism, these are those of google :ph34r:

And anyway we can have as much fun as we want, but from the moment we try to articulate two abstract concepts like the left/right political axis and the philosophical idea of ying/yang , you can more or less conclude anything.

Otherwise, yes, I would actually think conservatives are more "ying" because they are geared towards a form of simplification of society and of the mind.
simplify and control.

Edited by Schizophonia

@Schizophonia

29 minutes ago, Schizophonia said:

These are not my definitions of catabolism/anabolism, these are those of google :ph34r:

And anyway we can have as much fun as we want, but from the moment we try to articulate two abstract concepts like the left/right political axis and the philosophical idea of ying/yang , you can more or less conclude anything.

Otherwise, yes, I would actually think conservatives are more "ying" because they are geared towards a form of simplification of society and of the mind.
simplify and control.

Why do you write it 'Ying' instead of 'Yin'?

Why do you think conservative mind is more Yin than Yang, given then typically Yin is fluffy and light stuff, whilst Yang has more hard and heavy stuff?

If we can conclude more or less anything via articulation of two abstract concepts like left/right political axis and the philosophical idea of Yin/Yang, then why is that moment important, and how does having fun have anything to do with articulation?

Speaking of Yin/Yang, balanced yet asymmetrical, why can't we have a liberal/conservatively balanced mind, instead of this binary of conservative bad, liberal good? 

Putting aside Google and Chat GPT3, your Milf and daddy, in your own words how would you define catabolism/anabolism? 

27 minutes ago, Danioover9000 said:

@Schizophonia

Why do you write it 'Ying' instead of 'Yin'?

Why do you think conservative mind is more Yin than Yang, given then typically Yin is fluffy and light stuff, whilst Yang has more hard and heavy stuff?

If we can conclude more or less anything via articulation of two abstract concepts like left/right political axis and the philosophical idea of Yin/Yang, then why is that moment important, and how does having fun have anything to do with articulation?

Speaking of Yin/Yang, balanced yet asymmetrical, why can't we have a liberal/conservatively balanced mind, instead of this binary of conservative bad, liberal good? 

Putting aside Google and Chat GPT3, your Milf and daddy, in your own words how would you define catabolism/anabolism? 

Anabolism : Saving energy -> Security, miserly/pragmatic attitude, tendency towards simplification (More authoritarian, national/statist vision of the organization of society, traditional nuclear family, simple clothes, simple and orderly mind…)

Catabolism : Use of energy -> creativity, fickle attitude, tendency to complexification (for democracy, more individual rights, different family models, colorful clothes, gender theory...)

I could explain better by detailing more and removing any biases but I think you see where I'm coming from.:ph34r:

That's what is meant by higher level of development.

It's not an accident that the more conservative one is, the more racist, xenophobic, sexist, and tribal one is.

Liberals are generally more developed than conservatives. But there will be plenty of exceptions to this so be careful not to stereotype all conservatives as lower.

Edited by Leo Gura

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.