Yimpa

The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom Out Now!

124 posts in this topic

Can’t wait to see where my imagination takes me while playing this masterpiece.

How they managed to pull this game off is beyond me. The complexity, while still being easily accessible is insane. Let’s go!

“I once tried to explain existential dread to my toaster, but it just popped up and said, "Same."“ -Gemini AI

I wish it had good graphics. Nintendo games have become so ugly. Like mud.

Edited by Leo Gura

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

17 minutes ago, Leo Gura said:

It’s a feature, not a bug!

If this game had jaw-dropping graphics I’m sure millions of people would have spiritual awakenings. Our social structures are simply not ready for such a radical shift in consciousness in such a short period of time.

God is Link is mud ^_^

Edited by Yimpa

“I once tried to explain existential dread to my toaster, but it just popped up and said, "Same."“ -Gemini AI

1 hour ago, Leo Gura said:

Nintendo's core audience tend to be casuals and mainstream people (and let's not forget, children) who don't want to or can't shell out the money for a proper gaming pc. or at the very least a Steam Deck.

The graphics are so ugly they are like PS3 era graphics.

I don't know how all the reviews give it a 10/10 and not once even mention graphics. No other game company can get away with that. Too many Nintendo fanboys.

Nintendo makes billions in profit each year. They can easily afford better graphics.

The most obvious game dev idea is for an American studio to make a mature Zelda clone with next-gen graphics for adults. Don't know why nobody does it. Nintendo games are just too childish and cheap.

Edited by Leo Gura

@Leo Gura Wow, Leo, what shallow takes, games aren't solely about the graphics. I don't recall RainWorld having such high-production realistic graphics, videogames have already experienced diminishing returns with how hard they could push the visuals, they carry themselves by artstyle nowadays, not by how many polygons you can shove in at once.

Edited by lostingenosmaze

“We have two ears and one mouth so we can listen twice as much as we speak." -Epictetus

49 minutes ago, Leo Gura said:

The graphics are so ugly they are like PS3 era graphics.

I don't know how all the reviews give it a 10/10 and not once even mention graphics. No other game company can get away with that. Too many Nintendo fanboys.

Nintendo makes billions in profit each year. They can easily afford better graphics

They are limited by the processing power of the Nintendo switch. But on the other hand, Nintendo is such an asshole of a company that it refused to release a new more powerful model, and kept on selling the old model. When there is a monopoly, companies become real assholes.

Edited by LSD-Rumi

18 minutes ago, lostingenosmaze said:

@Leo Gura Wow, Leo, what shallow takes, games aren't solely about the graphics. I don't recall RainWorld having such high-production realistic graphics, videogames have already experienced diminishing returns with graphics, they carry themselves by artstyle nowadays, not by how many polygons you can shove in at once.

In some games, Graphics are more important than others, it is always a secondary feature but in a game like Zelda where is exploration is a big aspect, Good graphics are essential. 

The most obvious game dev idea is for an American studio to make a mature Zelda clone with next-gen graphics for adult. Don't know why nobody is does it. Nintendo games are just too childish and cheap

We already have one, it is called Shadow of the Colossus. Playing this game is on my to-do list in life. 

Edited by LSD-Rumi

20 minutes ago, LSD-Rumi said:

We already have one, it is called Shadow of the Colossus. Playing this game is on my to-do list in life. 

Lucky you, I played the original PS2 version. Have fun experiencing it the first time in HD.

The most obvious game dev idea is for an American studio to make a mature Zelda clone with next-gen graphics for adult. Don't know why nobody is does it. Nintendo games are just too childish and cheap.

Mostly because Nintendo is stuck in the past and self-absorbed.

Almost an analogue for Japan as a country, now that I think of it.

Edited by Extreme Z7

1 hour ago, lostingenosmaze said:

@Leo Gura Wow, Leo, what shallow takes, games aren't solely about the graphics. I don't recall RainWorld having such high-production realistic graphics, videogames have already experienced diminishing returns with how hard they could push the visuals, they carry themselves by artstyle nowadays, not by how many polygons you can shove in at once.

The graphics are so crummy it's literally like PS3 quality. Not pleasant to play.

And on top of that, the colors are just so wasted out and low-contrast that it makes it look worse than it needs to.

I played it on my PC. Honestly all the puzzles are kinda tedious. I never liked Zelda games because the puzzles slow everything down and make the game an annoying slog. There is way too much crafting crap in this game. I have always wanted to like Zelda games more than I actually do. To me they are over-rated.

Edited by Leo Gura

I have always wanted to like Zelda games more than I actually do. To me they are over-rated.

You ever tried Tunic then? It's an indie game clearly inspired by Legend of Zelda. Admittedly, the classic ones not the modern ones.

I haven't played it yet but I heard it has really well-thought out and intuitive puzzle design.

One of the benefits of the Switch is console gaming on the go, but of course stuff like the Steam Deck is pushing the limits forward. 

https://store.steampowered.com/steamdeck

We wouldn’t have Steam Deck if it wasn’t for the Switch, so we gotta give credit where credit is due.

4 hours ago, Leo Gura said:

Nintendo makes billions in profit each year. They can easily afford better graphics.

Same tactic Apple does with their products if you think about it.

Trust me, I’m also disappointed that Tears of the Kingdom released on the Switch instead of a brand new system. However, the Switch is a killer system with over 125 million unit sold (more than the Wii), so it makes sense they wouldn’t risk another Wii U flop (their previous console, which only sold 13.5 million).

3 hours ago, LSD-Rumi said:

They are limited by the processing power of the Nintendo switch. But on the other hand, Nintendo is such an asshole of a company that it refused to release a new more powerful model, and kept on selling the old model. When there is a monopoly, companies become real assholes.

This isn’t the NES days where Nintendo only had to compete with Sega. Nintendo has to compete with Microsoft, Sony, PC gaming, mobile gaming. The competition is much more complex now. Nintendo’s true strength comes from their intellectual properties - games you can’t find on any other system except for Nintendo ones https://nintendo.fandom.com/wiki/Nintendo_franchises

But even that is evolving, since Nintendo has some games for mobile (iOS/Android).

Also, the funny thing is I’m not even a gamer. Not even a Zelda fan. For some reason, I just really enjoyed Breath of the Wild (even though I never finished it). So Tears of the Kingdom is an obvious choice for me.

Ironically, I do enjoy watching videos on the history of gaming, though. Like how Sega fell flat on their face, even though they were in tight competition with Nintendo for a short time. 

@Yimpa They are just competing with themselves in the handheld console market, apart from Steamdeck which was newly introduced to the market and doesn't run any Nintendo games. So why would they release a new console in the first place? they are in a very sweet spot!  
But soon maybe the steam deck may prove itself as a competitor.

Edited by LSD-Rumi

35 minutes ago, Extreme Z7 said:

You ever tried Tunic then? It's an indie game clearly inspired by Legend of Zelda. Admittedly, the classic ones not the modern ones.

I haven't played it yet but I heard it has really well-thought out and intuitive puzzle design.

I know of it, but somehow just wasn't motivated to play it.

Edited by Leo Gura

@LSD-Rumi Why are your quotes in a black background? How did you do that :S

1 minute ago, Yimpa said:

@LSD-Rumi Why are your quotes in a black background? How did you do that :S

How about now? is it gone? 

It is because of the dark mode I use.

@LSD-Rumi Yep.

7 minutes ago, Leo Gura said:

I know of it, but somehow just wasn't motivated to play it.

@Leo Gura what are you up to these days beyond work?