renegade_bee

How To Develop A Sense Of Style

12 posts in this topic

question for well dressed people: how did you learn to dress better? What resources/books/sites did you use?

I really want to look and dress better and develop a style that suits me. Problem is right now I'm not stylish at all and I have no idea where to start. I'm male btw.

I am not a well-dressed person, but I'll answer anyway, because learning to dress better is like learning anything at all. :D

Answer these questions:

Why do I want to be stylish? What purpose does it serve?

Do I have an opinion about what is stylish? What is it? Why do I consider some things stylish and some not?

What do I know about style?

What would need to change so that I would consider myself stylish?

What makes me think that I'm not stylish already?

You can't become stylish. Style isn't in a set of outfits. Style is an attitude. So what you really need to work on is your attitude. Then when you get the attitude of a stylish person, you will instinctively know what recourses to use so that you can really have fun with it. But you have to realize this first. Until you realize this nothing you do will make you feel stylish.

Good luck!

It's true that you also have to consider why you want to be that way and to whom you want to look stylish, because it's mainly a matter of tastes and they are very different depending on the social groups in which you evolve.

In practice, I suggest you to try to dress simply, sober at the beginning. Have some white/grey/black/blue shirts/T-shirts so you have the basics.

Then if you want to get a bit more eccentric there are plenty of ways to have your own style and that's the more important thing: dress in the way you like to dress, the more authentic you are the more results you will get.

I had a lot of great influences over the past because I used to be friends with really well-dressed people, but you have to look on your own, try to be more interested in clothes and eventually you will get to it.

Hope I helped somehow.

Edited by The Harlequin

Explore the dress field, find what suits your personality, experiment with it. Take inspiration from people you believe are stylish. Push your comfort zone in clothes, wear things you would never consider wearing ( but still be self-aware). 
Your style is expression of your inner self, so get to know yourself better, what  are your values and operating principles in life. Other people's opinions are irrelevant.

I asked the same question a friend of mine who runs a fashion blog. She gave me practical advice.

Her: Who are you, what kind of impression do you want to leave on people?

Me: ............. I am not yet like that, but I want to be.

Her: Ok. You do know that how others see us is a matter of how we behave and who we are, right? Clothes can't really help you with that, that is something you have to develop. However I can tell you how clothes can give a hand there. (I will list out things that can help out no matter in which direction you want your style to go)

• Always buy clothes that are made out of natural fabric. ALWAYS. If it isn't, no matter how much you like it, simply pass by (everything else looks cheap, the better the fabric, the better it is for maintaining clothes, smelling nice and looking fabulous)
  • Pick what colors you want to where and only buy clothes that are of the color you want to wear if it isn't the right color, no matter how much you like it - pass! (every color gives certain associations, you can even google that)
  • Make a list of clothes you want to own (not JUST before you shop, but a list that you always edit, long term list) because when you have a list you always know what your looking for and mind looks for it when you are shopping
  • Check out what people you admire when it comes to clothes, what styles you like (on fashion blogs, people you meet etc.), experiment, be open to new things and possibilities
  • Sort out your clothes. Get rid of clothes you almost NEVER wear, get your wardrobe in order by sorting out what's for where - if it's for gym, for home or for out and about/work. If you want a certain image - it doesn't matter (most of the time) if it's for work of for a night out. I used to separate clothes for work and clothes for a night out. Then I realized that I want to look FABULOUS no matter where I am at. I want to maintain a certain style. (For her and me this meant that a woman should always look fabulous and a skirt/dress that is too short for work/collage is too short for anywhere! because that's how a woman who respects herself should dress. For you this can mean that adopting your work mode to your casual mode is okay, depends where you work of course and what dress code you have to follow)

This advice is very painful to follow if you are a woman, yet it pays of tons! Tell me how it went for you if you decide to follow it.

More practical stuff:

• Stop wearing clothes that you don't feel comfortable in.
  • If you have teeth that aren't that white - by all means avoid the color yellow when you dress.
  • Research what colors go well together, learn the rules and follow them.
  • Accessorize. If it resonates with you try wearing jewelry (personally I love a guy with a ring or earrings or a silver necklace), scarfs, sunglasses, etc.
  • Take care of your hair
  • Smell nice

Another thing, one time I stumbled upon a You-Tube channel Alpha m. (as in alpha male). I found the guy extremely annoying. Plus there are better folks out there teaching men how to be men. However I remember him having practical stuff about developing a style as a man, check him out, perhaps you will find it useful. He has style!

If you have any other questions, feel free to ask.

I like to look good and think that having a style that fits you is important. For me its simple. A nice button down shirt and jeans. I would suggest finding a celebrity that you think fits your style and buy an outfit like them and test the waters to see how it feels. The next thing you know, you'll find out through trial end error what colors and styles fit your personality. Like everything else, it will take time......just do it!

There's a lot of good advice here already. I would say:

• Make sure the clothes fit your body and are flattering. You will look 1000 times better in something that fits you. You will notice that people who care about their clothes often get them tailored. It's hard for many people to find clothes off the rack that fit them perfectly.
  • Keep it simple. Many people make the mistake of thinking being stylish means over accessorizing or wearing loud stuff. This is simply not true. Look at how runway models dress on a regular basis. You'll see a lot of plain t-shirts and jeans. Unless you are going somewhere special, there is usually no reason to dress up.
  • That being said, learn to accessorize wisely. A necklace or a watch can give an otherwise muted outfit just the flair it needs.
  • Check out the website lookbook.nu check out the most up voted male and female looks and study why they are so popular. 
  • The most important thing is that you feel comfortable and confident in what you wear. People can tell. That is why, while some people can pull off wearing something obnoxious, or even something that would otherwise be considered ugly, not everyone can. That is why I would advise to keep it simple, as it's easier to stay confident when you're not taking any big fashion risks. Think sleek and modern.
  • Feel free to experiment with trends but you don't have to wear something just because it's trendy. You may come off as trying too hard.
  • Maybe watch shows like Project Runway. They have great examples of bad garment construction and style vs good. You can always skip to the end when they are on the runway if you're not interested in the drama. 
Edited by shouldnt

I don't give much of a crap of style nowadays anymore, even though I still know all the fashion etiquette of do's and don'ts lol. But back in the I used to watch this channel in Youtube called Alpha M(the guy is called Aaron Marino). All the men's fashion advice you ever need is on there. 

RIP Roe V Wade 1973-2022 :)

I'm from the Bronx, NY. I was born to naturally dress fly. 

Here's my 2 cents

I usually combine a more relaxed shirt with tighter jeans. Really fits my body type well. Maybe it's the same for you.

Think about what colors to use based on your personality and how you want to come across.

I am a white male so I think black jeans fits me really well.

One pro tip I have is to get brown shoes, brown belt and a brown watch. And/Or a black set of accessories.

I want you to pick one person to copy. Pick a celebrity or someone who's style you can see, and make notes about it.

You probably have some sort of natural prefereces; like, maybe you like brighter colors or darker colors. Maybe it depends on the day.

You asked where to start, I'd say by observing someone who has a style you like, and just go buy a new set of clothes based on your observations.

https://aapo.blog/

my personal website-actualized since 2015-just waiting for the day-we have the first guys on the forum

born on 2015 :P