Jannes

Blocking music for productivity

9 posts in this topic

I blocked Video Games, Social Media, put a timer on YouTube for 30min and also blocked the forum for most of the day because I am very easily distracted and indulging in these distractions makes me extremely numb, unable to think clearly, unproductive, uncreative, ... The only thing I left out was Spotify because I thought its just music its not a big deal. Wrong! Blocking music is such a game changer for me. It has all the downsides that the other things I listed have. Maybe not to the same extend but if I listen to it for hours every day the downsides will be as drastic as the other distractions. In the last few days my productivity has gone up, my creativity increased and I got the voice in my head back. I literally lost the voice in my head because I was so numb. 

23 minutes ago, Jannes said:

I literally lost the voice in my head because I was so numb. 

Wait people meditate to get rid of that voice lol

Edited by integral

How is this post just me acting out my ego in the usual ways? Is this post just me venting and justifying my selfishness? Are the things you are posting in alignment with principles of higher consciousness and higher stages of ego development? Are you acting in a mature or immature way? Are you being selfish or selfless in your communication? Are you acting like a monkey or like a God-like being?

I also tend to waste hours just listening to music—And I come out miserable at the end.

I have found that even when I used to play video games, I was much much much better without music. Just turning off music would improve my skill by 50%

And on the grounds of creativity, I think that all noise is damaging. Creative ideas come to me in complete silence, complete focus.

As much as I listened to music and as much as my taste developed, I can't help but feel that It's usually a very mindless process.

It should be treated as recreation & entertainment.

Edited by MarkKol

Definitely can relate to that! Music gives just enough stimulation that it's often more fun than the hard tasks I need to get done

I also have to wonder how many times I need to install and uninstall social media like Facebook, TikTok and Instagram. 

My work requires me to log in and check out some stuff on social media and check whether the link is working etc.

I used Facebook lite sometimes.

As for music, I normally listen to puretuber which can play YouTube in the background but I think I need to get rid of it as well. 

Yes it's tough trying to stop all distractions. I am starting with removing social media from my phone.

I can relate. I use music as a distraction to avoid focus and hard mental work. 

14 hours ago, MarkKol said:

nd on the grounds of creativity, I think that all noise is damaging. Creative ideas come to me in complete silence, complete focus.

I like that.

softly into the Abyss...

20 hours ago, integral said:

Wait people meditate to get rid of that voice lol

Yeah that was actually pretty cool it's just but its the wrong way I attained it. It's like solving the problem of noice pollution by making yourself deaf. 

20 hours ago, MarkKol said:

And on the grounds of creativity, I think that all noise is damaging. Creative ideas come to me in complete silence, complete focus.

As much as I listened to music and as much as my taste developed, I can't help but feel that It's usually a very mindless process.

I can't really relate to that. I have a playlist on Spotify called concentration music with very soft, light, intelligent instrumental music and I found that this kind of music really puts me into a creative mood. I am thinking of downloading some of that for this specific purpose although idk if I will then also use it as a distraction will see. 

17 hours ago, hyruga said:

Yes it's tough trying to stop all distractions. I am starting with removing social media from my phone.

As long as something is there you will just use the other ones more instead in my experience.