Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Hardkill

Will most young liberals in US vote for Republicans when they become middle age?

12 posts in this topic

Even though most young voters are liberal and therefore most of them vote for Democrats, people generally tend to become more conservative than the other way around as they grow older. 

So, does that mean that most young liberals in the US will become conservative and therefore end up voting for Republicans by the time they around 45 years or older?

Edited by Hardkill

The older people get, the less they want change to happen. It's easy to fall into nostalgia.  Also, once you lived long enough, and worked hard, it's easy to get cynical when you hear other people complaining about things.

I think people leaning more right than the left is a method both parties are trying to do in order to balance things out.  Even if that is not the case, the side making more money are the people with a university degree and leans left; power corrupts and the corruption on the left is greater because there is more access to money.  Before all that big oil, the automobile industry and other commodities have been a source of the world's wealth until the dot com boom in the 90s started to slowly shift the tide. Now technology and data is the new oil.

@Hardkill

16 hours ago, Hardkill said:

Even though most young voters are liberal and therefore most of them vote for Democrats, people generally tend to become more conservative than the other way around as they grow older. 

So, does that mean that most young liberals in the US will become conservative and therefore end up voting for Republicans by the time they around 45 years or older?

Yes, I intuitively feel that the older a person gets on average the more conservative minded they are, not sure whether they'd change their policies and political views on some social things, but it feels natural to want to conserve more when you get older and start losing more and more vitality and resilience over time.

@Hardkill  I'm basically in my mid 20's and already I am feeling my mind and body being more conservative and less liberal, so time, among many other factors plays a part in this.

1 minute ago, Danioover9000 said:

@Hardkill  I'm basically in my mid 20's and already I am feeling my mind and body being more conservative and less liberal, so time, among many other factors plays a part in this.

So, does that mean that you will probably vote more for politicians who have conservative idealogy and policies? 

@Hardkill

8 minutes ago, Hardkill said:

So, does that mean that you will probably vote more for politicians who have conservative idealogy and policies? 

Yes. I'd nominate myself first, but if that doesn't work, I'd vote for the Hodge twins. 

Edited by Danioover9000

2 minutes ago, Danioover9000 said:

@Hardkill

Yes. I'd nominate myself first, but if that doesn't work, I'd vote for the Hodge twins. 

Not the Hodgetwins!!!!

@Hardkill

28 minutes ago, Hardkill said:

Not the Hodgetwins!!!!

I'm not joking, I'm seriously considering voting them in because the whole situation is funny and hilarious. They have their biases, most may see them as sellouts, but they're more honest and authentic than the trolls who sellout for clout, whilst the Twins sell out their comedy and PR. Although they at some point need to stop riding Trump's marshmallow tip and parrot out his talking points like a broken record. I conserve  my rights to be a Rascal, even if I risk being a vandalizing Rapper. 

Edited by Danioover9000

17 hours ago, Hardkill said:

It doesn’t work like that in my experience.

It’s more accurate to say that young liberals today will continue to vote for similar policies when they are 45 that they believe in currently. They are not suddenly going to become Republicans in the way we think about Republicans right now.

@aurum

10 hours ago, aurum said:

It’s more accurate to say that young liberals today will continue to vote for similar policies when they are 45 that they believe in currently. They are not suddenly going to become Republicans in the way we think about Republicans right now.

Unless there's some betrayal or other negative outcomes for young liberals to switch over to the right, as moderates/centrists or conservative.

15 hours ago, aurum said:

4 hours ago, Danioover9000 said:

@aurum

Unless there's some betrayal or other negative outcomes for young liberals to switch over to the right, as moderates/centrists or conservative.

Okay, so it’s not like young liberals as a collective aren’t going to really support policies or positions that are very conservative and reactionary such as tax cuts, deregulation, cutting down on government spending, denying the existence of climate change, not believing in the need for us to transition to renewable energy, limiting immigration, etc.

People tend to develop a political ideology when they are young, and keep it as they get older. So basically the young people in a few decades, will vote based on the beliefs and ideas they are voting on today. (most people, not all)