Nilsi

How is Developmental Psychology privileged over Postmodernism?

52 posts in this topic

You're just grounding reality in some arbitrary paradigm again.

This is no different from quantum physics, or linguistics, or Psychoanalysis, or whatever it is.

In fact, the whole point of postmodernism is, that you can ground reality in any paradigm you want - and thus create your reality any which way you like.

All you're saying with "psychological development is beyond postmodernism" is, that this is the particular pet theory, you're subscribing to.

“We are most nearly ourselves when we achieve the seriousness of the child at play.” - Heraclitus

2 minutes ago, Squeekytoy said:

@Nilsi the difference between pattern and narrative is key. 

What would that difference be?

“We are most nearly ourselves when we achieve the seriousness of the child at play.” - Heraclitus

Postmodernism is differentiating reality in relative perspectives. 

Developmental Psychology is used by people at the next higher level of complexity to unify all these perspectives in a coherent meta-perspective.

Postmodern thinkers can't make judgments about the value of a perspective because they are in denial of the next stage's crucial insight.

"Reality is evolving towards higher and higher consciousness"

@Nilsi

1 hour ago, Nilsi said:

You're just grounding reality in some arbitrary paradigm again.

This is no different from quantum physics, or linguistics, or Psychoanalysis, or whatever it is.

In fact, the whole point of postmodernism is, that you can ground reality in any paradigm you want - and thus create your reality any which way you like.

All you're saying with "psychological development is beyond postmodernism" is, that this is the particular pet theory, you're subscribing to.

Development psychology is far more mature with development, whilst Postmodernism is all about itself, in denial that modernism or pre modern was necessary evolutionary steps for the psyche.

13 minutes ago, max duewel said:

"Reality is evolving towards higher and higher consciousness"

There is no "evolution towards higher and higher consciousness" in your direct experience. If anything, your state of consciousness is always changing, but has no obvious direction - at least, I dont see it.

Of course, when I contemplate biological evolution and then extend that to human ontogenetic development, there is a sense in which thats real. But again, thats just me framing reality in a certain way.

11 minutes ago, Danioover9000 said:

@Nilsi

Development psychology is far more mature with development, whilst Postmodernism is all about itself, in denial that modernism or pre modern was necessary evolutionary steps for the psyche.

The notion of premodern and modern are part of the dev psy fantasy. 

@Nilsi

1 minute ago, Nilsi said:

The notion of premodern and modern are part of the dev psy fantasy. 

No, it's the other way around: dev psy are more humble of developmental stages of values, cognition, morality, states of being, variety of personality types, and differences of life experiences from individual to collective, meanwhile Postmodernists have deluded themselves into thinking the Postmodernism is far superior than modernism and pre modernism.

1 minute ago, Danioover9000 said:

@Nilsi

No, it's the other way around: dev psy are more humble of developmental stages of values, cognition, morality, states of being, variety of personality types, and differences of life experiences from individual to collective, meanwhile Postmodernists have deluded themselves into thinking the Postmodernism is far superior than modernism and pre modernism.

Please think before speaking.

Postmodernism and Developmental theory are obviously both constructions of the mind.

Developmental theory is the more inclusive theory because it can explain and integrate the other theories together into a meta-theory.

Postmodernism denies absolute truth. There is no absolute truth for postmodernists just relative perspectives. 

This is why an insight like, everything is evolving and reaching towards god is needed, to make sense of the a-perspectival madness that many postmodernists get stuck in

@max duewel

Just now, max duewel said:

Postmodernism and Developmental theory are obviously both constructions of the mind.

Developmental theory is the more inclusive theory because it can explain and integrate the other theories together into a meta-theory.

Postmodernism denies absolute truth. There is no absolute truth for postmodernists just relative perspectives. 

This is why an insight like, everything is evolving and reaching towards god is needed, to make sense of the a-perspectival madness that many postmodernists get stuck in

Thank you, you put it more well than I could.

4 minutes ago, max duewel said:

Cognitive parallax is also present in Post-Modernist thinkers. I don't understand your distinction here.

1 minute ago, max duewel said:

Postmodernism:

@Nilsi

1 minute ago, Nilsi said:

Please think before speaking.

Wait, I thought you were a no self, no-mind advocate of Buddhism/Advaita Vedanta? Yet demand me to think more? I no-mind/=/tell others to mind more.

Just now, Danioover9000 said:

@Nilsi

Wait, I thought you were a no self, no-mind advocate of Buddhism/Advaita Vedanta? Yet demand me to think more? I no-mind/=/tell others to mind more.

lol what are you smoking? If anything, Im the polar opposite of a Buddhist.

Wait a minute, is this entire thread a manipulative attempt to signal @Leo Gura to hurry up with releasing that Post modernism video? SNEAKY.

2 minutes ago, Israfil said:

Cognitive parallax is also present in Post-Modernist thinkers. I don't understand your distinction here.

Hey ! I never heard that term can you elaborate on your point so I can understand?

It isn't. But there are different ways of approaching developmental psychology, like with all things. You can approach it from a limited reductionist view (only subscribing to one or a few perspectives), or you can approach it from a meta-theoretic and post-structuralist view that synthesizes different perspectives and has a deep understanding of the underlying assumptions of each perspective. The latter view is generally something that happens "after" one has wrestled with some of the implications of postmodernism, which you can use to argue that it's "above" postmodernism, but it's not above it in any absolute sense.

Intrinsic joy is revealed in the marriage of meaning and being.

Just now, Carl-Richard said:

It isn't. But there are different ways of approaching developmental psychology, like with all things. You can approach it from a limited reductionist view (only subscribing to one or a few perspectives), or you can approach it from a meta-theoretic and post-structuralist view that synthesizes different perspectives and has a deep understanding of the underlying assumptions of each perspective. The latter view is generally something that happens "after" one has wrestled with some of the implications of postmodernism, which you can use to argue that it's "above" postmodernism, but it's not above it in any absolute sense.

That's all good, but you still need the motivation to create such a worldview.

What I'm more interested in is what makes you choose to inhabit this particular reality. And if I had to guess, it's that that's the only logical conclusion you could draw, to justify your academic endeavors (which I have no problem with).

1 hour ago, max duewel said:

Hey ! I never heard that term can you elaborate on your point so I can understand?

Parallax is an optical phenomenon in which due to the difference in the 2D images captured by each of your eyes, you're able to construct a 3D model of the world. The brain captures two different images and by their similarities and differences, constructs the 3D equivalent of it. It's our depth construction mechanism. Cognitive parallax is applying that to worldviews.

1 hour ago, Carl-Richard said:

Essentially, this is a rough summary of cognitive parallax.

1 hour ago, Nilsi said:

What I'm more interested in is what makes you choose to inhabit this particular reality. And if I had to guess, it's that that's the only logical conclusion you could draw, to justify your academic endeavors (which I have no problem with).

This goes beyond justification for an academic endeavor. Every justification is a construction that posits your actions and ethically grounds your action (why should you pursue this over any other interest). But, this is also a by-product of understanding cultural and linguistic limitations that constricts the imposed views you acquire through socialization. The rejection of the establishment of a method seen in Heidegger's Being and Time is an example of this. It is the acknowledgment of the essential myopia of every point of view. 

Edited by Israfil

19 minutes ago, Nilsi said:

That's all good, but you still need the motivation to create such a worldview.

Yes: pragmatism. To act like all perspectives are equal can in some ways be crippling. You don't actually structure your life that way, your mind doesn't work that way. You have preferences, and the postmodern mind can either consciously accept that, or it can pretend like it doesn't accept that (which of course would lead to some amount of inner conflict).

19 minutes ago, Nilsi said:

Could you elaborate?

Edited by Carl-Richard

Intrinsic joy is revealed in the marriage of meaning and being.