I meditated for 6 hours straight - AMA

11 posts in this topic

And I used mixed techniques. 

1-do nothing. 

2-watching the breath. 

3- watching the thoughts

4-watching the space between thoughts.

The benefits :

I didn't feel happy or relaxed as that  for maybe years. And I discovered the root cause of all my psychological suffering. It's simply overthinking. 

Feel free to ask any questions. 

"life is not a problem to be solved ..its a mystery to be lived "

-Osho

Nice. I doubt you did 6 hours in the same posture. Try sitting for 1-1.5 hour in the same posture and stick to just one technique (I suggest watching the breath; and you can still do the body scanning "warm-up" if you use that). No movement of the legs to alleviate pain, no standing up, etc.

Edited by Carl-Richard

Intrinsic joy is revealed in the marriage of meaning and being.

3 hours ago, Recursoinominado said:

Sitting cross-legged?

Nope. Mostly laying down. 

-Osho

3 hours ago, Javfly33 said:

didn't your knees hurt? Or you were sit?

A little bit at first. But I was overtaken by bliss that I didn't care. 

Also, I switched postures. 

-Osho

2 hours ago, Sincerity said:

Great! :)

Thanks ?

-Osho

2 hours ago, Carl-Richard said:

Nice. I doubt you did 6 hours in the same posture. Try sitting for 1-1.5 hour in the same posture and stick to just one technique (I suggest watching the breath; and you can still do the body scanning "warm-up" if you use that). No movement of the legs to alleviate pain, no standing up, etc.

Yup

I switched posture from sitting on a couch to lay down.

I find self-observation to be most effective technique . Just taking a position of observer and calmly viewing all events arising in my mind: "this is a thought", "this is a wish", "this is a pleasant sensation", "this is something unpleasant", etc. At times I may discern further" what caused that thought?", "why I am feeling this emotion?", but as soon as I get an answer I tend to go back to the observing position.

Also focusing on the breath is good. I like practicing focusing on the breath first, then once I've settled, being an observer of everything that arises without judgement. It feels like the most natural way to meditate for me.

-Osho

@Someone here I find that sitting in an upright but relaxed position with at least one of your legs folded is very conducive for the meditative process. There is like an unwinding of tension going on that you have more control over, and there is less pressure on your internal organs and more room for your chest to expand as you breathe. When you let that run for over 1 hour straight, you're almost guaranteed to have something happen ime.

Also, when you commit to just using one technique, you close off some of the potential for your mind to activate itself ("should I maybe change technique?"; "ah this technique is boring now"). It might seem like a subtle difference, but if you feel resistance from your mind when considering it ("it'll be too boring"), that means it will be a challenge and a sign for potential growth. Besides, small differences quickly add up the longer you sit.

Edited by Carl-Richard

Intrinsic joy is revealed in the marriage of meaning and being.

Maintaining perfect posture and very little movement (maybe a stretch or a walk every 1.5h) is very important for getting as much out of it as possible.

Distinguish between movement from restlesness (and do not move) and only consider moving if you are becoming lethargic. If you become lethargic, 5 minutes of walking meditation could be very beneficial.

If you do it this way the periods where wakefulness is becoming very deep with zero lethargy should become longer everyday. Even if you mostly meditate less.