Value

Peter Attia's book on Longevity: Outlive

11 posts in this topic

Currently reading this amazing book by the american doctor, who treats the optimization of longevity as a "sport".

What strikes me is the importance of physical exercise for health and longevity. Being lowest 25% of population of Vo2max vs highest 25% of population Vo2max increases all cause mortality by something like 400%. Many jaw dropping facts like that throughout the book, and many concrete tips for putting longevity into practice.

Anyone else reading it?

Interesting, I may add it to my reading list.

What about sleep and nutrition? Anything fascinating on those topics?

As an aside, I think Michael Greger is also working on a book on longevity. Not to be released soon, though. 

I like Peter and after having worked with him in the past, I do also respect him as a sincere colleague. 
Besides that, please take those numbers with a grain of salt. There is a lot of reverse causation and other dynamics at play. 
Anything that sounds "too good to be true" usually isn't the whole story.

Read his book, take his advice - but let's be smart about it! 

MD. Internal medicine/gastroenterology - Evidence based integral health approaches

"Perhaps all the dragons in our lives are princesses who are only waiting to see us act, just once, with beauty and courage. Perhaps everything that frightens us is, in its deepest essence, something helpless that wants our love."
- Rainer Maria Rilke

Yes!! Got it on the shelf already ready to go.

I wish he wouldn't be so dismissive to epidemiology and nutrition tho but his CVD & exercise content is top notch.

I'm a member of his private group, worth getting for any health nerds out there.

He's a bit too heavy on the pharmacology side which I'm on the fence with

“If you find yourself acting to impress others, or avoiding action out of fear of what they might think, you have left the path.” ― Epictetus

He's a bit too heavy on the pharmacology side which I'm on the fence with

Working in the medical field will do that to you - inevitably so.
It takes an unduly heterodox attitude to embrace both worlds in my experience ^_^

Edited by undeather

MD. Internal medicine/gastroenterology - Evidence based integral health approaches

"Perhaps all the dragons in our lives are princesses who are only waiting to see us act, just once, with beauty and courage. Perhaps everything that frightens us is, in its deepest essence, something helpless that wants our love."
- Rainer Maria Rilke

Currently listening to the audiobook and it's very entertaining ??

Why do some people want to do everything to increase their longevity?  Even if it is boring/stressful on a daily basis ? It looks like a mental illness.

Besides, most of the oldest people in the world aren't even nutrition nazis, on the contrary, very chill people who indulge in any kind of pleasure.

Edited by Schizophonia

If you dont understand, you're not twisted enough.

@Schizophonia To answer your question in my particular case it's a lot of fun. I actually enjoy the process of doing everything in my power to be as healthy as possible. It's fun, like a game. ;)

Edited by LoneWonderer

13 minutes ago, LoneWonderer said:

@Schizophonia To answer your question in my particular case it's a lot of fun. I actually enjoy the process of doing everything in my power to be as healthy as possible. It's fun, like a game. ;)

It's special but so much the better for you then!  I said that because I still see a number of people inflicting on themselves a rather unpleasant orthorexic goal disciple.  You see where I'm coming from.  Att 

Edited by Schizophonia

If you dont understand, you're not twisted enough.

such an amazing book! well written , informative and practical! really recommend it for anyone who's into achieving optimal health.