LSD-Rumi

How to determine if an AI machine is sentient?

43 posts in this topic

3 hours ago, LSD-Rumi said:

I know what goes in there. Miliions of different functions, but the end goal is one, to keep the neuron healthy to do its function, which is to generate and trasnsmit electrical current through its membrane and lipid sheath. I studied all these stuff in college.

Why is that the end goal? Isn't it the survival of the organism as a whole? And if you're singling out signalling between neurons as the only important process for sentience, what is so special about this process, and why are other processes in the brain irrelevant?

3 hours ago, LSD-Rumi said:

They will experience some kind of exiestence that is devoid of all senses.

But then, would it be able to think? Does it have memories of previous experiences?

Edited by Carl-Richard

Intrinsic joy is revealed in the marriage of meaning and being.

26 minutes ago, Carl-Richard said:

Why is that the end goal? Isn't it the survival of the organism as a whole?

how are you going to survive if you don't exist in the first place? the brain maintaince the existence of most multicellular organisms 

And if you're singling out signalling between neurons as the only important process for sentience, what is so special about this process

I don't know to be honest, but hey what is so special about the speed of light being 300000 km/s, why is'nt 400000? Somethings don't have explaination other than "it is part of the game" 

nd why are other processes in the brain irrelevant?

The only real prcoess that goes in the brain is electricity 

But then, would it be able to think? Does it have memories of previous experiences?

I don't think such organism would be able to survive in the first place, but I think its experience would revolve around thinking, and feeling confined to the body.

Edited by LSD-Rumi

When it doubt, poke it with a stick.

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

Just now, Leo Gura said:

When it doubt, poke it with a stick.

Lol, How are you gonna do this with AI? 

How do you determine anything is sentient? Just apply those standards to AI. You already know how to determine if something is sentient. You do it all the time, right?

"God is not a conclusion, it is a sudden revelation. When you see a rose it is not that you go through a logical solipsism, "This is a rose, and roses are beautiful, so this must be beautiful." The moment you see it, the head stops spinning thoughts. On the contrary, your heart starts beating faster. It is something totally different from the idea of truth." -Osho

4 minutes ago, Osaid said:

How do you determine anything is sentient? Just apply those standards to AI. You already know how to determine if something is sentient. You do it all the time, right?

I already answered that. If an organism has a complex enough neurological setup, I would consider it sentient. Of course, you cannot precisely decide the limit of "complex enough" but I am talking generally. For example, virsues and bacteria are not sentient as well as my chair and coffee cup, because they lack complex neurology. While a fish is apperantly sentient becasue it has a brain. 

This goes the same for AI. But I was wondering if an AI that is purly based on software can be sentient too.

You can never know if a AI machine is sentient or not..

But I don't think that AI can ever become sentient.

I don't think consciousness arises from computing.

Remember, not even materialist science really knows how consciousness emerges.

So it's really weird to suddenly make the leap into believing that some fucking computers can somehow magically become conscious if they just crunch some numbers fast enough. *Facepalms*

Edited by Blackhawk

@Blackhawk We are not talking about it becoming conscious. We are talking about it killing you.

3 minutes ago, Blackhawk said:

@Leo Gura But.. the OP was talking about sentience/consciousness..

Sorry, I confused this thread with the other one. We got too many AI threads.

Carry on with the nonsense ;)

Edited by Leo Gura

"The appearance of sentience that AI has is as illusiory as ego personality"

Edited by Salvijus

Those you do not forgive you fear. 

1 hour ago, Blackhawk said:

But I don't think that AI can ever become sentient.

I don't think consciousness arises from computing.

If you're an idealist, consciousness doesn't arise from anything, because it's beyond physicality, but sentience is a concept we ascribe to lifeforms. It does seem to have something to do with physicality. You wouldn't say a rock is sentient. It doesn't feel pain when you step on it. It doesn't have eyes to see with or ears to hear with.

Intrinsic joy is revealed in the marriage of meaning and being.

One difference between humans and robots that i forsee is that robots can't have The Presence.

When a human sits in samadhi, the whole atmosphere feels devine. Trees, animals, plants, people everything respond to it positively. The energy is very powerful around it.

When a robot sits in "samadhi" it's just a dead computer or just a fancy code program, it doesn't have any Presence except the presence of the material used to built it.

#RobotsHaveNoSoul

Edited by Salvijus

The more Presence you have, the more Sentient one becomes. 

Animals have certain amount of presence.

Humans have more presence

Rocks have less presence but still have presence if you're sensitive.

An enlightened being has enourmous presence.

God has infinite presence

A robot would have very little presence. The same amount as a calculator regardless of how complex the code and algorithm is. 

Edited by Salvijus

25 minutes ago, Salvijus said:

One difference between humans and robots that i forsee is that robots can't have The Presence.

When a human sits in samadhi, the whole atmosphere feels devine. Trees, animals, plants, people everything respond to it positively. The energy is very powerful around it.

When a robot sits in "samadhi" it's just a dead computer or just a fancy code program, it doesn't have any Presence except the presence of the material used to built it.

#RobotsHaveNoSoul

Lol. Robots will be much more spiritual than us if they gain snetience. They can modify their brains as much as they want. At somee point, organic beings will be replaced by artifical ones. 

9 minutes ago, LSD-Rumi said:

Lol. Robots will be much more spiritual than us if they gain snetience. They can modify their brains as much as they want. At somee point, organic beings will be replaced by artifical ones. 

Spirituality is a science of refining energy/soul/spirit into a higher and higher possibility. I don't think a code or algorithm could have an energy body even to begin with. It's just a concept maschine. Concepts are empty of life.

Edited by Salvijus

4 minutes ago, Salvijus said:

Spirituality is a science of refining energy/soul/spirit into a higher and higher possibility. I don't think a code or algorithm could have an energy body even to begin with. It's just a concept maschine. Concepts are empty of life.

Soul is everywhere. Consciousness is the only thing that exist. A highly complex brain will sequester conscioussnees regardless if it is made of organic or inorganic material.

9 minutes ago, LSD-Rumi said:

Soul is everywhere. Consciousness is the only thing that exist. A highly complex brain will sequester conscioussnees regardless if it is made of organic or inorganic material.

I already adressed this.

Here

32 minutes ago, Salvijus said:

The more Presence you have, the more Sentient one becomes. 

Animals have certain amount of presence.

Humans have more presence

Rocks have less presence but still have presence if you're sensitive.

An enlightened being has enourmous presence.

God has infinite presence

A robot would have very little presence. The same amount as a calculator regardless of how complex the code and algorithm is.

22 minutes ago, Salvijus said:

This is wrong. A calculator is a very simple form of a robot, it is like saying Humans are not sentient because bacteria is not. 

A robotic brain made of trillions of small and complex wire-based electrical interactions will be more spiritual and more intelligent than any human ever lived. 

Your mistake is you are attached to organic stuff only. The future is inorganic. Maybe the aliens we will meet in the future are made of metal not flesh ?

Edited by LSD-Rumi