undeather

Human brain effects of DMT - Big New Study!

7 posts in this topic

The imperial college London recently published the most elaborate DMT-study ever conducted.
They gave 20mg of intravenous N,N-Dimethyltryptamine (DMT) to 20 healthy adults and measured brain activity through multimodal neuroimaging (EEG-fMRI (electroencephalography-functional MRI)).

One of the findings was the following:
"The results, published in the journal Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, provide the most advanced picture yet of the human brain on psychedelics. The recordings show how the brain’s normal hierarchical organisation breaks down, electrical activity becomes anarchic, and connectivity between regions soars, particularly those handling “higher level” functions such as imagination, which evolved most recently in humans. “The stronger the intensity of the experience, the more hyperconnected were those brain areas,” said Timmermann.

This ability to make brain activity more fluid and flexible is thought to underpin not only the profound psychedelic experience but the promising results from early clinical trial patients who were given DMT in combination with psychotherapy to treat depression. “DMT is short-acting, so it’s a very flexible tool compared with psilocybin [the active ingredient in magic mushrooms] and LSD which can last for six to 10 hours,” said Timmermann."

I know this following statement might be triggering (esp. for Leo) but is the "I am GOD"-experience nothing more than an illusion caused by overclocked imagination?

Let's discuss this.

Link to study: https://www.pnas.org/doi/full/10.1073/pnas.2218949120
Link to article which is more accessible for most: https://www.theguardian.com/science/2023/mar/20/psychedelic-brew-ayahuasca-profound-impact-brain-scans-dmt?CMP=share_btn_tw

MD. Internal medicine/gastroenterology - Evidence based integral health approaches

"Perhaps all the dragons in our lives are princesses who are only waiting to see us act, just once, with beauty and courage. Perhaps everything that frightens us is, in its deepest essence, something helpless that wants our love."
- Rainer Maria Rilke

@undeather all sensations you experience on drugs (especially hallucinogens) are fake, but they help you understand non-existent, meta, complex feelings/states such as oneness, nothingness, space, void, God etc. It's essentially an illusion (since those extreme/absolute feelings don't exist as part of the matrix, they are outside Reality and they were never felt, they are not supposed to be felt), but they work well as pointers, in order for your mind to metaphorically grasp such complex concepts that are beyond the human experience. It is what our human mind thinks those feelings should feel, but they paint a very good picture for us to understand complicated concepts. They are extremely helpful nonetheless. The experience is fake but the insight you get is pretty accurate

1 hour ago, undeather said:

I know this following statement might be triggering (esp. for Leo) but is the "I am GOD"-experience nothing more than an illusion caused by overclocked imagination?

Triggering? Haha

All of science is imaginary. Including all those studies.

You are not going to undermine God with any study.

Edited by Leo Gura

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

1 hour ago, Leo Gura said:

Triggering? Haha

All of science is imaginary. Including all those studies.

You are not going to undermine God with any study.

Well, I have been following your content for years and I know how short tempered you can get with that kind of stuff :D
I am also not, in any way or form, god realized - so please consider my perspective.

Help me out with this one because I am basically "just" an idealist.
Let's assume for one moment that your brain/mind modulates the 5-MeO-experience. It "just" a hyperrealistic imagination. How is there any telling apart from actual metaphysical truths? I mean, there have been dozens of similar truth claims derived from all sorts of modalities (psychodelics, NDE's, meditation, OBE's..)- propagated with a similar, subjectively infallible level of confidence.

Now, dont get me wrong - I am NOT a materialist. Consciousness is primary in my understanding - but how would you respond to such criticism?

MD. Internal medicine/gastroenterology - Evidence based integral health approaches

"Perhaps all the dragons in our lives are princesses who are only waiting to see us act, just once, with beauty and courage. Perhaps everything that frightens us is, in its deepest essence, something helpless that wants our love."
- Rainer Maria Rilke

1 hour ago, Nabd said:

Genuine question, how do you know you are not deceiving yourself?

Absolute Consciousness.

1 hour ago, undeather said:

Well, I have been following your content for years and I know how short tempered you can get with that kind of stuff :D

Short-tempered? I am patient like a saint with the nonsense you guys speak :P

Help me out with this one because I am basically "just" an idealist.
Let's assume for one moment that your brain/mind modulates the 5-MeO-experience. It "just" a hyperrealistic imagination. How is there any telling apart from actual metaphysical truths? I mean, there have been dozens of similar truth claims derived from all sorts of modalities (psychodelics, NDE's, meditation, OBE's..)- propagated with a similar, subjectively infallible level of confidence.

Now, dont get me wrong - I am NOT a materialist. Consciousness is primary in my understanding - but how would you respond to such criticism?

You can become directly and absolutely conscious of the ultimate nature of Consciousness.

Because Consciousness is Infinite, it cannot have any dependencies outside itself.

God is a sovereign Mind that imagines all of reality around itself. Including brains, chemistry, psychedelics, science, history, time, space, and anything else you can imagine.

There is nothing anyone can do to undermine God. Ever. That is what makes God, God, and not just another construct. God is not a piece of content within Consciousness, God is the totality of every possible thing. You're assuming that a brain can just exist without God. It certainly cannot because God has to create it first.

Ultimately you have to ask, How can anything at all exist? And what you will finally realize is: Only within the Mind of God. All scientific studies exist within the Mind of God, and nowhere else. Because God is Everywhere.

Before there was science, there was God. After science and mankind dies off, there will be God.

Edited by Leo Gura

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

On 21/03/2023 at 7:58 AM, Nabd said:

I never tried psychedelics but I remember one time I was meditating and something *clicked* in my mind and I felt extremely happy and content, I dont know whats that but I guess it's some kind of a spiritual experience, the thing is I still dont know if I was just deceiving myself or it was a genuine experience, and if I was using psychedelics and understanding god I wouldn't know if I was tricking myself.

This line of argumentation can be applied to every single state of mind you experience. What if you're just deceiving yourself while in a state you call "sober" or "normal"?

I find that psychedelics activate the imagination.  Everything you experience is you.  In that way, it is similar to a dream.   But 5-meo is different.  It reaches outside the mind to the present moment.

Vincit omnia Veritas.