Kksd74628

Other side of the TikTok

52 posts in this topic

Yeah there is a positive side to tiktok, also lots of mental health awareness, lgbt+ and body positivity stuff etc. seem to spread there which can have a positive impact on young people's well-being, at least if that awareness is channeled into action to solve those problems at both the individual and collective level. 

"Only that which can change can continue."

-James P. Carse

@Kksd74628

57 minutes ago, Kksd74628 said:

@Danioover9000

It's fun how you found how TikTok and meditation are different. Of course they are completely different, but it seems that you didn't see the connection that I tried to make and I made it for a reason. The point was that TikTok ain't the problem, but some bad content inside + people get addicted to almost anything. I would want you to validate that little point after deepening the conversation. It seems that you almost identify right now as a person defending that view, because you aren't moving from the perspective you are standing on. I can agree that those things that you said are right, but can you agree on that TikTok in itself isn't the problem.

I will put it even more bluntly and simply for you and @Juan and @Devin using a different context: you guys are defending the usage of cocaine, designed by foreign business men to maximize profits at the cost of long term mental health problems, and the justification: because some bad users doing bad content inside + people get addicted to almost anything. So, if some bad people do bad content inside the cocaine factories, and the appeal to addiction universality, is enough justification to expose all people, all demographics and psychographics, to cocaine commercialization, and white market availability, and you can't and refuse to acknowledge the long term consequences that product has for future generations, then no dumbing down of language, no amount of simple communication of the negatives of it would dissuade you of persuading other youths to use Tik Tok. If you can't grasp the simple negatives of how damaging Tik Tok is to their brains, then we can't continue this discussion, it just seems like you and @Juan deny and refuse to partly denounce Tik Tok for the clear harms it does for mental health.

1 minute ago, Danioover9000 said:

@Kksd74628

I will put it even more bluntly and simply for you and @Juan and @Devin using a different context: you guys are defending the usage of cocaine, designed by foreign business men to maximize profits at the cost of long term mental health problems, and the justification: because some bad users doing bad content inside + people get addicted to almost anything. So, if some bad people do bad content inside the cocaine factories, and the appeal to addiction universality, is enough justification to expose all people, all demographics and psychographics, to cocaine commercialization, and white market availability, and you can't and refuse to acknowledge the long term consequences that product has for future generations, then no dumbing down of language, no amount of simple communication of the negatives of it would dissuade you of persuading other youths to use Tik Tok. If you can't grasp the simple negatives of how damaging Tik Tok is to their brains, then we can't continue this discussion, it just seems like you and @Juan deny and refuse to partly denounce Tik Tok for the clear harms it does for mental health.

I'm not defending the use, I denounce the use, I defend the access to cocaine.

@TheAlchemist

1 minute ago, TheAlchemist said:

Yeah there is a positive side to tiktok, also lots of mental health awareness, lgbt+ and body positivity stuff etc. seem to spread there which can have a positive impact on young people's well-being, at least if that awareness is channeled into action to solve those problems at both the individual and collective level. 

Well, to what percentage of action being channeled, comes from Tik Tok users then? Where are the young politicians and social media influencers, marching onwards, negotiating and implementing political action? Oh, they're still busy chasing fads and trends and getting hyper narcissistic over their image, whilst being too distracted, attention divided, with higher ADD/ADHD, to do anything of substance for the ACTUAL ISSUES OF THE WORLD!

At least China's version of Tik Tok, has heavily regulated their content, restricted what they consider harmful to the youth's brains, and implemented check and balances, like time period of activity, and mostly educational content like mathematics, science, art, lectures. I REPEAT, EVEN CHINA HAD TO INTERJECT TO HEAVILY MONITOR AND REGULATE THEIR VERSION OF TIK TOK!  

55 minutes ago, TheAlchemist said:

+1

And public backlash toward the problem areas will likely lead to desired changes by the company.

For people who use TikTok in here, what do you usually use it for?

Intrinsic joy is revealed in the marriage of meaning and being.

1 hour ago, Carl-Richard said:

Adding another point, again is very similar if not the same as youtube and instagram. Once you get 1k followers then you can do livestreams which I do and they are new artists coming in and I can do some tutorials, you can subscribe to tiktoks now for extra benefits, etc. I also follow other artists that I aspire to become.

Edited by Juan

@Carl-Richard

2 hours ago, Carl-Richard said:

I'm recently browsing Tik Tok for drawing tutorials or art works and stuff. 10-5 minutes a day. A minute of random topics I scroll. All this whilst being mindful of Tik Tok's corrosive effects to my mind, for the sake of self experimenting and science, research purposes.

Just to be clear, I suffer chronic depressions, deep laziness and insecurities and other health issues(Not pulling the edge lord card), that I sometimes view shorts containing art works for a few minutes, for some tinge of inspiration. However, after some thinking, it seems highly possible that I probably can't see eye to eye and agree with any positive effects that Tik Tok specifically could have in this lifetime.

Ideally, I am for banning the app. However, if that's too difficult due to complex issues, then I am for restricting and regulating it's content, any topic and it's design, and am in favor for educational shorts over entertainment garbage shorts, the ones that are highly correlating to increases of ADD/ADHD cognitive decline. This is now my position.

4 minutes ago, Danioover9000 said:

Just to be clear, I suffer chronic depressions, deep laziness and insecurities and other health issues(Not pulling the edge lord card), that I sometimes view shorts containing art works for a few minutes, for some tinge of inspiration. However, after some thinking, it seems highly possible that I probably can't see eye to eye and agree with any positive effects that Tik Tok specifically could have in this lifetime.

Ideally, I am for banning the app. However, if that's too difficult due to complex issues, then I am for restricting and regulating it's content, any topic and it's design, and am in favor for educational shorts over entertainment garbage shorts, the ones that are highly correlating to increases of ADD/ADHD cognitive decline. This is now my position.

@Danioover9000 Sorry for that. I deleted a extra point because I was going a bit off topic but related to distraction: What I do is to post whatever I gotta post and delete the apps. You could get bored and waste time on the internet, not JUST tiktok, so that’s the way I deal with it.