Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
mac99

Is water fasting good for losing weight?

15 posts in this topic

What do you guys think of water fasting for losing weight? I personally like it because you can lose weight so much faster. Is it worth it?  

I never tried it before but it seems like a pretty extreme method just for losing weight. It would definitely work but most likely it would all come back once you start eating again.

How about slowly changing your eating habits instead? Clean up your diet bit by bit (or even all at once if you like). This way you will also lose weight in the long run and it will stay off. You won't go back to unhealthy foods afterwards because you will have entirely transformed your eating habits.

That would be the more sustainable way for losing weight and ultimately probably the only one that really sticks.

Sure. Just painful.

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

@mac99 Its the best method, snake juice diet, BUT dont do it on a wim, read, educate, plan it.

<banned for jokes in the joke section>

Thought Art I am disappointed in your behavior ?

On 28/01/2023 at 9:41 AM, Mormegil said:

It would definitely work but most likely it would all come back once you start eating again.

No it does not.

On 28/01/2023 at 9:41 AM, Mormegil said:

How about slowly changing your eating habits instead?

Thats what 90% of people try and fail with.

Water fasting really is the best way. 
That being said there are a gazillion factors to think about. For example fat tissue stored xenoestrogens, heavy metals and other toxins --> will all come out because you burn fat for fuel. --> Antioxidants needed!!

Just water? WHICH water? Minerals? YES Potatssium and salt.

On 1.2.2023 at 10:47 PM, UDT said:
On 28.1.2023 at 9:41 AM, Mormegil said:

How about slowly changing your eating habits instead?

Thats what 90% of people try and fail with.

If people fail at that its because of the lack of discipline to pull it through. They need a long term goal, not a quick fix. Plus all the health benefits that will come from a actual clean diet is the other win. 

If people fail ar this cause they are not able to change their diet I don't see how water fasting would help. After the fast they go back to their standard diet and eventually nohing will have changed.

Also personally I don't see why losing weight need to be rushed anyway. People always need quick fixes to problems that are rooted so deeply within their psyche and this is where it takes time to change the psyche. Plus these forms of extreme changes overnight put a ton of stress on the body.

But if you know more feel free to share how a water fast can do what a diet can not.

Edited by Mormegil

@Mormegil Youre just preaching. Im coaching people for 3+ years know on health edu and behavior change and what you say is just theory. 

Make a video documenting everyday what you do and eat and then how you lose 1kg each week over a month and I pay you to write the method on paper and make a book out of it. 

And please dont start with "caloric deficit" 

I made my arguments based on my own personal experience. I went from chubby (not overweight) to lean and building up muscle by getting rid of my horrible former diet and building up healthy daily habits over many years and studying nutriton which I never did before. 

That was my recommendation to the original question. People can do whatever they want. Just I would never go on a water fast just to lose weight.

I never claimed I lost 1 kg per week. I was talking about longer periods.

And why would I be preaching calory deficit? If the human body worked this simple I would be all in for water fasting lol

Anyway I dont wanna argue about this, just gave my opinion about it cause people asked about this topic.

And if someone can make a good point for why water fasting is the best method for losing weight I would be really interested in hearing. I'm open minded and not claiming I know all. I like learning new stuff.

Edited by Mormegil

3 hours ago, UDT said:

Make a video documenting everyday what you do and eat and then how you lose 1kg each week over a month and I pay you to write the method on paper and make a book out of it. 

You can't possibly be real ?

@Mormegil  Sure I totally get you, you done it right. Thats the way to sustainably live healthy. OP asked for ways to lose weight in a certain period of time, where your method doesnt do it. What you did is a total lifestyle change, which is what many people cant succeed in

@IDressMyDog  Of course I am. I should note that I mean 1kg, not one week its 5kg then its +2kg and at the end you lost "some weight", thats not a method.

1 hour ago, UDT said:

@Mormegil  Sure I totally get you, you done it right. Thats the way to sustainably live healthy. OP asked for ways to lose weight in a certain period of time, where your method doesnt do it. What you did is a total lifestyle change, which is what many people cant succeed in

@IDressMyDog  Of course I am. I should note that I mean 1kg, not one week its 5kg then its +2kg and at the end you lost "some weight", thats not a method.

I'm not sure whether you're speaking generally or about some specific example, but 1kg per week is around what I, and a significant amount of my friends, were usually aiming for during our cuts? And it's always worked out perfectly so I might be misunderstanding you. 

I used to track my progress using graphs at some point and they were pretty much linear, but i can't find them anywhere. For example, when I started my gym journey at some point around covid starting out it went like in the uploaded photo. It was around 12 weeks and I was cutting practically 1kg per week no more no less (of course within reason +-0.2kg). My last two weeks I've done some carb cycling as my friend advised, but other than that, the weight loss was super precise and sustainable? Same with quite a lot of people I know, that's why I'm wondering where you're coming from, but I think I might be missing a point here somewhere?

IMG_20210526_145628.jpg

At this point I'm quite bigger overall, but even now if I'm trying to cut some extra fat I'm easily doing 1kg per week still.

Edited by IDressMyDog

@IDressMyDog Theres a difference between doing A,B,C then measuring if you lost 1kg and adapting to it or Measuring A,B,C expecting to lose 1kg per week as a result of it.

a,b,c = interventions, gym, food etc.

Due to metabolic variability in both rest, food digestion, and activity both pyhsical and cognitive AND varying caloric measurements of foods with the same "number" on it and bioavialability of the food not only at the food level but also at your bodys capacity in time make the latter method (after the "or" impossible to attain) 

and pls If you want to "prove pictures" then do it same position same spot and dont flex 

@UDT That makes sense. I couldn't do them this way - we were in a lockdown so I just grabbed random before-after pics. 

I'm not sure - I never went that in-depth with diet/fitness as I have superb results only doing it as a fun necessity/hobby. But I did calculate my TDEE and stuff, cut some kcals off it, and just went with it. Easy peasy. Helps me a lot with my life purpose/career in terms of cognitive health/stamina etc. 

I'm not trying to prove anything with pics or anything, I was genuinely curious as to how it could possibly be not easy to expect someone to continuously lose 1kg/week as I and plenty of others are repeating that time after time. And also how consistent change in eating habits could not result in weight loss (even funnier how can 90% fail?). 

if you are serious about water fasting I'd go to True North Healing Center in Santa Rosa CA. They are legends at supervised long water fasting and can help you with all kinds of health issues,not just weight. 

You could also do a fasting mimicking diet and eat under 600 calories for 5-7 days. I do that once or twice a month. So many benefits. When you do it this way, day 2 is somewhat difficult but after that it actually is easy and you DONT want to eat again because you're so high, even spiritually high in a sense. If you fill your day with bone broths, vegetable juices, and other awsome supplement drinks you constantly feel full and its super easy.

I been interested to do this, did it once just for a day and saw results in my awareness, will organice again to make it longer, I’m in a need to lose weight.