Romer02

How to Slowly Slow down on phone usage?

7 posts in this topic

Does anyone have any tips on how to slow down the consumption i’m getting from social media? I’ve come to the point where i’m seeing the damage its doing to me and I want to slow down properly.

I’ve tried just going cold turkey but I continue coming back I need to figure out how to methodically handle this. I already have timers set up on my phone that close the app down after I use the app for 30 minutes. Now the problem is my ego still finds a way to sneak its way back on the app. Well the part of me is completely hooked on these apps and wants that dopamine Hit. 

Delete the apps. Use the browser. This makes it slightly less enjoyable/convenient.

leave your phone in a different room. 
look up the science behind social media/phone addiction and watch the Netflix documentary “the social dilemma “

Maybe start by figuring out how you be on your phone in the most healthy way possible. Instead of stopping watching youtube, find channels with the most educational content and unsubscribe to unhealthy channels. Get audiobooks. Keep one or two social media but remove the once that are the worst, TikTok for example. I only have Facebook. On there I follow some pages with beautiful photography. Introspect what it is you seek from your phone, maybe it's comfort, connection and joy. Maybe there are better ways of obtaining these things.

The road to God is paved with bliss.

Reading Atomic Habits is gonna be very helpful for this. It doesn't specifically talk about phone addiction but it does give you all the tools to eliminate your screentime. One more thing I'd like to add to the book is that you should replace the time you gain, just do anything else. I replaced most of my screentime with reading. I built the habit of reading minimum 20 pages a day, and since I am a slow reader, that keeps me off the phone for a good while, and the rest of the time I do have, I have other things to do.

I've been two months without a phone! Stop having a phone or buy a dumb one. You can test it out for a few months in order to detoxify your mind and then slowly incorporate the most basic needs with an actual smartphone.

So basically: do it.