Wilm

Stuck In Life Purpose Course, Again

33 posts in this topic

I've bought the ULP last year and I was really determined to find my LP. Leo starts the course with a quote that only 5% will succeed, 95% doesn't complete it fully. So I was really determined to be in that 5%. Basically followed every exercise to the letter, took extensive notes, etc. Then came the real Life Purpose exercises, where you really gave to come up with answers to questions where your passions lie, what you would do if money is no issue, etc (try not to spoil the content of the ULP here). Leo states that "I don't know" is not an option, keep thinking about it. That kept me stuck at these questions for a very long time, couldn't come up with the answers.

In the meanwhile, we were moving to a new house, experiences some really sad family matters. That lead to quitting the ULP for a while.

I've started the ULP again by the end of 2016, this time even more determined to finish the course and find my ULP. But unfortunately, I'm stuck again at the same point. I just can't come up with answers that really resonate with me.

I'm quite happy in life, got "all things" going on pretty well, nice house, nice family, happy with my job, spending a lot of time running and cycling, working on personal development, following a ZEN course. But without a real purpose, just following along like most other people, perhaps a bit more conscious than most people. I've found my top values and strengths, they're OK, but I'm not really enthusiastic about the outcome. There isn't much in life that really, really excites me, I get bored pretty easily with stuff.

Sometimes I think and feel that I'm just not wired for this stuff, I've never been very passionate whole my life, 35 years old now. I'm wondering if anyone felt the same and has come out of this "situation" and if now living a passionate life with a purpose? And for those who have taken the ULP, what should I do, try to come up with the answers or move along on the course, try to get the best out of it?

I had the same problem. 

The reason is (at least for me) i was stuck was.

1: I realised once you discover your life purpose you have to actually follow through.

2: I was scared of discovering my purpose because it came tied to images of what I must face on my way to it.

3: In general resistance to finding my purpose.

the good news is you can completely solve this. You need to find the reason and let go of the emotion. Don't worry about letting go of the problem let go of the emotion, the problem eill

solve itself.

to let go of the emotion you have a couple of options.

1: the Sedona method.

2: the work by Byron Katie.

bth have books for about ten bucks on them that can completely change your life:

Edited by heisenburger

@heisenburger Thanks for your reply. What you're saying, also resonates with the book I'm currently reading, The Big Leap. About letting go of your Upper Limit Problem. I'm not familiar with the Sedona Method or Byron Katie. I will definitely check it out.

I find it hard to really apply the stuff from books or Leo's video's or courses. It's much easier to jump from the next book to the next, without really implementing the ideas in your life. Definitely, a pitfall for me.

Could you tell me a little bit more of the process you went through?

@Nahm Perhaps so, but is doesn't really feel like it. Not the kind of Life Purpose  Leo's talking about. Nothing that I really master (nothing near 10,000 of deliberate practice in something for example) or nothing in particular that really excites me, that I want to go out of bed in the morning really bad. Although I like to go for a run early in the morning, but that's not something to create your LP around.

@Wilm the not implementing thing worked for me by simply noticing it firstly. Since you're already noticing it, it will probably autocorrect over time. Even if you just read self help books and still never applied anything directly the mindset shifts over one would still be life changing so that it was beneficial. But your changes can be huge if you commit to sapping all the info you can and actually applying it.

Although I'm still not 100% applying everything the majority of products I get amazing results from. For me solving the issue of nlt applying came down to finding whatever issue I cared most about. Eg I used to read think and grow rich and never got around to applying the ideas because I was in high school and a bigger issue was my nervousness around girls. So I used books on emotions. The point being I read whatever was most relevant to me at the time, which made it easy to apply because j wanted the result more. Whereas with think and grow rich money wasn't a high priority at that point in my life.

Also the Sedona method has great techniques on how to stop procrastination.

so

1: Notice that you're doing it (which you already are!) as long as you keep noticing that you're nt applying eventually something will crack, every time you find yourself not applying results have the intention of fixing this.

2: Try applying stuff that's most relevant to your life right now. That you're most excited about. When you have information staring you in the face on how to solve your current greatest problem in your life it's so easy to apply it!

Edited by heisenburger

@Wilm   I wonder, maybe making a  step out of your comfort zone and trying new experience could help. Something related to your top values and strengths which you haven't tried before? Perhaps, you can't come with the answers cos you simply haven't discovered the thing yet? 

Maybe the issue is that you are afraid to be a dreamer? 

It is definitely something I am struggling with. Although I am trying to be as open minded and as brave when completing this course as if there were no obstacles, it is sometimes difficult to me to write down those answers anyway just because I can't see it right now. 
Our society conditions us to go for what is certain and never go "all in" unless you are sure. 

It took me probably 10 hours to go through this exercise just because of all the deep contemplation I was doing. Did a lot of visualising and journaling on it but it certainly helped. 

Try to open your mind beyond your world of your current possibilities. You can for example certainly tailor your LP around running btw if you could visualise it. 

“If you find yourself acting to impress others, or avoiding action out of fear of what they might think, you have left the path.” ― Epictetus

@Alicja_, @Michael569 . Coming out of my comfort zone, dream some more. That's certainly something that I'm lacking.

For example, creating a LP around running. When I think about that, I only come up with excuses why this won't work. I'm 35 and not that gifted, so a professional career is out of the picture. I've set my goal on running a sub 3 hour marathon this year. That's completely cool, love the training, but that is not a LP.  

Or maybe I could start a training program. I'm not good at working with people, so no option.

Another idea is to create a kind of running app. The market for this is already overcrowded, so I don't see that as an option, let alone a LP.

That about as far as I can stretch my head on a LP around running. I'm not here to ask anyone what me LP could be, but I would appreciate it if you could give me some advice and ideas on creating a LP around running. I like running, like it a lot, but I don't see a LP in it. That goes for a lot of other interests as well.

@Wilm just because you are not good in something now (working with people) doesn't mean that you cannot develop the skill or even become an expert in it. You didn't know how to ride a bike and tie you shoes once or perhaps speak foreign language. 

Maybe instead of what you can think of, try to think what is missing on the market? What is lack of? What do you hate about this industry? What do you think could be changed? You could try to look at running from a nutrition perspective, from a medical perspective or long term health.  Or look into runner's clothing, shoes. I'm not an expert but do your research. What are some growing trends in running? What is the market heading towards? 

Also you say, there are other interests. What are they? Write it down and journal or meditate on it. Perhaps you could combine some of them. 

I suggest you get back to LP course and pick up where you left of. Don't be discouraged by the amount of question but focus on each point as if it was a single lesson. Do 1 per day of that is needed. Don't be shallow but look really really deep. Alternatively think of getting a coach. Haven'd done it myself but heard people getting some pretty awesome results.....What do you have to lose? 

Many of us here are in the same boat and the struggle is real. 

“If you find yourself acting to impress others, or avoiding action out of fear of what they might think, you have left the path.” ― Epictetus

@Michael569 . Thanks for your suggestions. Although, I think I already know the things you're saying deep down inside.

The last couple of days, I've picked up the course again. Some of the exercises went pretty well, found some new insights. I'm not sure if it's allowed to spoil the content of the ULP here to this degree, so I'll try to keep a bit vague. I'm now at an exercise where I must come up with some of the greatest creative experiences of myself from the past, when I was really excited. That is such a hard question for me, I'm totally not creative. When I think about it, I just do my job without very much passion. I'm not very passionate in life in general. I've been through some heavy family matters the past years, I think I've handled that pretty well, but again when I think about it: without much passion. These events were so significant, that all of the everyday stuff, like my job,  don't excite me anymore. Not that this was the case before these things happened. I'm pretty happy things are going, just that nagging feeling: there's more to life. But I often think, why bother, were going to be dead anyways in 50/75 years from now.

Somehow I need to find my "passion switch". There are moments when I'm really motivated to find my passion, but when I'm working on it and there's hard mental work involved I slack off and go on with my mediocre, but pretty OK life. I think the "problem" is just not big enough for me to really do something about it. 

@Wilm maybe you are already  living a life of purpose !

Edited by Loreena

1. Only ONE path is true. Rest is noise
  2. God is beauty, rest is Ugly 

3 hours ago, Loreena said:

@Wilm maybe you are already  living a life of purpose !

Why do think so? Not a purpose that I know of or am passionate about :)

Although I'm following through on keeping my habits the last couple of days (months, but a bit on and off). Waking up at 5AM, go out for a run, meditate in morning and evening., cold shower, etc. I hope this will lead to some new insights, I'm really determined to find my LP!

@Wilm Maybe your Lp can be just living a good life. I kinda find it strange that you already have everything you want, but you are still looking for something. But maybe it's  a matter of time for you, maybe with time you might find out your Lp, have you ever wondered that you could be having a purpose you are already pursuing or working towards but not feeling content or satisfied with.

@LoreenaMy life is pretty fulfilling most of the time, happy with my relationship, love my kids, enjoy my job (most of the time), like my hobby's. But, like I mentioned before, it feels like something is missing. Especially in my job/career. When I was young, school was not very challenging for me, I've never learned to work hard for something, everything came pretty easy, jobs came on my path, never made a real conscious choice what I wanted to do, just rolled into it somehow.

Due to the sad family matters, it became more clear to me that I can and must take life in my own hands and make the best of it. I don't want to be like my father and die with the life he lived when he died (that was one of things that happened recently).

@Wilm Maybe you could try exploring a bit. See what you are really passionate about. For some people they take up something for a while and they are deeply passionate about it but  this passion doesn't last very long. they are like a butterfly hopping from one flower to another. It's just their nature because they have varied interests and not something very specific/particular. But that's fine too as long as your life is interesting, fulfilling and wholesome. I suggest you travel a lot, Or wait for the right time for something interesting to come up on its own.

I think you should probably invest in a squirrel flight suit. 

26 minutes ago, MissMiki said:

I think you should probably invest in a squirrel flight suit. 

Haha :)

@Wilm  Have you tried contemplating your own death? If not, I suggest you do this tonight.

Switch of all lights and get in the deep, dark mood. Ideally after your family has gone sleeping. Leo's contemplation video can be quite depressing but the fear of death and this taught realisation can open new perspective to you. 

Also I assume you are getting quite close to that..in LP Course, the Section with LP Excercises, 2nd one(auditorium). I won't say anymore but that was an eye opener ! 

Let me know how it went. Keep dreaming brother and don't give up on your life. You only have this one chance. Let me motivate you with a quote that i  borrowed from @Nahm

“Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourselves, Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous? Actually, who are you not to be? You are a child of God. Your playing small does not serve the world. There is nothing enlightened about shrinking so that other people won't feel insecure around you. We are all meant to shine, as children do. We were born to make manifest the glory of God that is within us. It's not just in some of us; it's in everyone. And as we let our own light shine, we unconsciously give other people permission to do the same. As we are liberated from our own fear, our presence automatically liberates others.

I pasted this on my computer screen and my mirror and read it aloud for myself every morning and every night. This shit is like steroids for subconsciousness mind. 

@Michael569 I've tried to do the exercises, contemplating your own death and the auditorium one. Especially the auditorium one, I draw a complete blank... What the hell do I have to tell?! I live my life, minding my own business, I don't have much to say.

These exercises always bring me down and I lose the will to continue with this LP thing... :(

@Wilm than I guess  time might will reveal it for you. 

Try to boost this topic, maybe someone more experienced will have an alternative suggestion for you :)