nick96

Are Ego, Self Image, Self Concept And Personality The Same Thing ?

19 posts in this topic

Are the Ego , the Self Image, Self Concept and Personality the exact same thing ?

Observe reality as it is, not as you would like it to be 

What do you mean by personality ?

God is love

Whoever lives in love lives in God

And God in them

Ego and self-concept are fairly similar.

Self-image is more specific and refers to literally the mental images you have of yourself. How you picture yourself in your mind's eye.

Personality is really different from all the above. Personality will remain even after complete enlightenment or complete ego death.

Notice that even dogs and cats have unique personalities.

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

@Leo Gura How can we unveil genuine parts of personality? 

“In the beginner’s mind there are many possibilities, but in the expert’s there are few” 
― Shunryu Suzuki

2 minutes ago, BeginnerActualizer said:

@Leo Gura How can we unveil genuine parts of personality? 

Stop people pleasing.

Whenever a weird feeling in your stomach arise, be aware of it.

Say what you feel is right to say, not what you think you should say.

Do things you love, and be very wary of that, because addiction can feel like that.

Experiments life, different social interactions, different hobbies.

God is love

And God in them

2 hours ago, nick96 said:

Are the Ego , the Self Image, Self Concept and Personality the exact same thing ?

In the sense I think you may be asking, yes, they are all the same thing. They are constructed of beliefs. All beliefs are what prevent truth and enlightenment. The product of these things are the very list of things one has to let go of to get to the truth.

Edited by Nahm

MEDITATIONS TOOLS  ActualityOfBeing.com  GUIDANCE SESSIONS

NONDUALITY LOA  My Youtube Channel  THE TRUE NATURE

@Shin With personality I mean the  characteristics of the behaviors and of the emotional reactions of a person that form an identity for that person, that describe him.

@Leo Gura

I imagine that for a person completely identified with his ego, so completely unconscious,  his personality depends entirely on the ego itself, so in this case the two terms have the same meaning. Am I correct ?

But I don't understand this: without an ego, how can a person have a personality if there are no more fixed beliefs in the mind that generate recurring thought patterns and so recurring behaviors ?

What does a personality (that is to some extent a "fixed" thing) depend on if there are no more fixed beliefs in a person ?

8 minutes ago, nick96 said:

@Shin With personality I mean the  characteristics of the behaviors and of the emotional reactions of a person that form an identity for that person, that describe him.

@Leo Gura

I imagine that for a person completely identified with his ego, so completely unconscious,  his personality depends entirely on the ego itself, so in this case the two terms have the same meaning. Am I correct ?

But I don't understand this: without an ego, how can a person have a personality if there are no more fixed beliefs in the mind that generate recurring thought patterns and so recurring behaviors ?

What does a personality (that is to some extent a "fixed" thing) depend on if there are no more fixed beliefs in a person ?

The personality is a fixed thing to you because you believe it is.  That's not true. 

The difference is between experiencing what the ego is or not having done that process.

21 minutes ago, Nahm said:

The personality is a fixed thing to you because you believe it is.  That's not true. 

The difference is between experiencing what the ego is or not having done that process.

Can an introvert become extrovert, and vice versa ?

God is love

And God in them

1 hour ago, Shin said:

Can an introvert become extrovert, and vice versa ?

If you believe in those roles to begin with, then by default it is up to you to make your choice. People have labeled me in my past as exactly that. When I hear this, I tend to think in terms of the food, biology, neurology, chemistry and consciousness in terms of free will and probability of what leads that person to be saying what they're saying. Does that make me introverted or extroverted? Who cares right?

8 hours ago, nick96 said:

On a level yes. All are open to change and in that sence a illusion. When we mentaly mastrubate we can disagree about that :P

5 hours ago, nick96 said:

The brain/mind is a very complex system.

Ego distorts personality, but never entirely. The personality always shines through.

Personality is not grounded in beliefs. And even after deep enlightenment, there will still be many beliefs held by the mind.

A dog has no beliefs, yet it has recurring behaviors. Behavior is not directly grounded in beliefs. Beliefs modify certain high-level behaviors only.

Think of it this way, if you change the president or the CEO of a giant corporation or country, the culture of the company will not be wiped out. It will largely remain intact. Removing the ego is like the removing a bad CEO. The company then starts to naturally flourish and be itself.

Having 2 dogs i disagree 9_9. Personality is quite a huge concept that includes biological factors. 

Without mind only a bag of water is left xD

Mind is not going away so long as you're alive.

@Leo Gura

Where is personality grounded if not in beliefs ?

How do you define personality ?

What is the difference between ego and personality ?

Can you recommend a book that covers deeply the structure and functioning of the mind, including these topics ?