Ethan1

What are some futuristic jobs you see being common in the future?

10 posts in this topic

I was curious what others see as potential jobs in the future.

Considering:

• Robots
  • smart phones
  • AI
  • automation
  • smart cars
  • 3d printers
  • spacex
  • fiber optics
  • teleportation?
  • time machine?
  • solar panels
  • electric generators
  • drones
  •  etc. 

smartweb_web_5-0_evolution_confidential_-v004.jpg

Edited by Ethan1

Water and air dealer

Edited by Devin

Basically the farther into the future we go the more creative human jobs will become, and the more labour-type work will be automated away.

@Devin Water vending machines & oxygen generators? 

@thepixelmonk So automating labour-type jobs and creative jobs will be more dynamic. So artistic jobs and right side of the brain thinking will become more common?

@Cat_eyesum depends on how advanced these robots are. I question what will happen to all the common jobs that will be eliminated with automation too.

• truck drivers
  • insurance companies
  • police
  • garbage men
  • malls
  • farming
  • grocery clerks
  • real estate agencies
  • lawyers
  • judges

Yeah... I see what you're saying as I try to think of jobs that won't be eliminated or deeply impacted. Seems like every job is on the table.

What jobs can robots not do as good as humans?

Edited by Ethan1

Air traffic controller for flying cars :D 

Intrinsic joy is revealed in the marriage of meaning and being.

26 minutes ago, Ethan1 said:

@Devin Water vending machines & oxygen generators? 

I foresee a simpler future ahead, I don't buy into robotics and AI, this human disconnection is unsustainable.

People will want clean water and clean air, it will be the hot simple commodity, which is where the money is; volume not price tag.

I also see local farming and handiwork, yes I know everyone else disagrees with me, they're all wrong

@Devin I'm the same way about the acceleration of technology and social detachment. However, at the same time can't deny that things will continue to change. I'm mostly curious how to adapt to the changing environment and create a simpler world too. 

Literally got a dumb phone last week to create more simplicity. 

Light phone 2 & Punkt MP02 are two phones on the market encouraging what you're saying with focusing on simplicity & mindfulness. Over priced phones but takes away from being glued to the phone 24/7.

Edited by Ethan1

34 minutes ago, Ethan1 said:

@Devin I'm the same way about the acceleration of technology and social detachment. However, at the same time can't deny that things will continue to change. I'm mostly curious how to adapt to the changing environment and create a simpler world too. 

Literally got a dumb phone last week to create more simplicity. 

Light phone 2 & Punkt MP02 are two phones on the market encouraging what you're saying with focusing on simplicity & mindfulness. Over priced phones but takes away from being glued to the phone 24/7.

I don't just mean I want it, I think it will go that way, I don't think our level of impersonal living is sustainable. See Daniel schmactenberger "the third attractor" to give you an idea of how things might not go linear

For the near future (at least a couple of decades) I foresee a big demand for technicians to fix all the robots and machines. At least until they become fully self-replicating and self-repairing.

Your Tesla will be able to drive itself to the dealership and spit out an error code, but I think it'll be a while before humans are taken out of the equation. You'd have to program a robot that's able to identify and remove/replace every single little screw and part. I'd imagine it's also hard for a robot to do something like top up antifreeze or windshield wiper fluid at this point.

11 hours ago, Cat_eyes said:

I’m wondering more about jobs that won’t be taken over by robots. Any kind of creative handwork or craftsmanship. for example hairdressers. I can’t imagine ever letting a robot cut or colour my hair, and if we do I think that’s when society is done. Or things like tattoo artists, or writers who have their own unique style. Surgeons. To name a few. 

I dunno, I can imagine it.

Even several decades ago, I remember in home ec class we had sewing machines where you could pick a pattern and embroider the entire thing automatically in one go, without any human input.

It would be pretty easy to apply that to a tattoo. Just the needle is going into human flesh instead of fabric. It can tattoo a lot faster than a human with pixel-perfect precision. I think I'd actually rather have a robot tattoo artist than a human, less risk of error. Please just give me an emergency stop button to hold for when I need a break xD

Same with haircuts. A robot could scan a 3D model of your head in precise detail, every little bump and mole. Then you just select the haircut you want from a catalogue based on your hair type (straight, curly, thick, thin, etc). And it applies precise cutting length to apply that haircut to your head.

I would be a bit iffy about letting a robot wield scissors or a straight razor near my face. But if it's just using clippers I don't see much that could go wrong.

And as a full-time writer, I think we're going to be one of the first fields to go after visual artists. Although I've tried multiple writing AIs and I can tell you that currently they're still a few years off. Already with a lot of these AI, you can tell it to mimic the style of JK Rowling, Stephen King, or whoever. They've already been trained on the works of most writers.

11 hours ago, Devin said:

I foresee a simpler future ahead, I don't buy into robotics and AI, this human disconnection is unsustainable.

People will want clean water and clean air, it will be the hot simple commodity, which is where the money is; volume not price tag.

I also see local farming and handiwork, yes I know everyone else disagrees with me, they're all wrong

I want the same thing that you want. But I have a lot more of a pessimistic outlook.

All I have to do is look at videos of New York apartment tours, where people are living in 50 - 80 square foot spaces, to basically see it as a lost cause.

People are way too content to live in cities of millions of people already. They already don't have clean air or water, or easy access to fresh foods.

We've been too domesticated and industrial civilization has become too normalized for most people. They'd rather live in a walk-in closet in the city. Lots of people would be way more content moving toward more artificial lifestyles, rather than moving back toward something more connected to nature that they'd consider simple and even "primitive". 

Governments don't want people to be free and independent. So I think it's only natural that we're going to see more restrictions and laws that make it progressively harder to grow your own food or be self-sustainable, or live any kind of traditional lifestyle. The climate change narrative will be used to turn city folk against country folk -- why should one family have multiple acres of land, when we could put several apartment buildings and house hundreds of people on that land more efficiently? Or we could buy up several small properties to make one corporate mega-farm where all the food is grown indoors under grow lights with chemical fertilizers?