Arthogaan

Book for a Boomer that will make him realize that Enlightenment is possible

12 posts in this topic

I want to buy a book for my dad on Christmas. He has some pull toward spiritual stuff but it is all very conceptual and he does not even consider the possibility that he could experience some of this stuff himself. Do you know any book that could open his mind in a gentle way? It would be great if the book is popular enough to be available in polish language. If I won't find anything I thought of just translating Leo's Guide to Enlightenment into polish and giving him that.

In the Vast Expanse everything that arises is Lively Awakened Awareness.

The best thing you can do is just talk to him. You know all his history and priors and have some good idea where his mind is currently at. Have a casual conversation, bring up random stuff like.... ask him who created God, if there's someone beyond God then who created that, etc. Once you plant some seeds you can be like "remember when we talked about XYZ" and tie it all together. Then if he seems receptive you can give him something like a book, but that's a big commitment to drop on someone. I haven't read most books I've been gifted, even on practical topics lol.

If you have to do it in book form, I'd get a work of fiction that explores the ideas of enlightenment and has some entertainment value, rather than just presents it as fact. Or just mind-expanding stuff like The Matrix that opens you to the possibility that there's more going on behind the scenes than just mundane life.

Spirituality is such a big topic why don’t you start telling him about the facets of awakening that are easier to accept? Telling him that he is god probably won’t get him anywhere. Also there are many people who have one foot in the materialist paradigm and one foot in spirituality. Your dad can probably identify with these people better and if they also have an academic background can also see them as authority figures. Sam Harris comes to mind. 

The Power of Now is available in Polish.

Edited by The Mystical Man

"Make a gift of your life and lift all mankind by being kind, considerate, forgiving, and compassionate at all times, in all places, and under all conditions, with everyone as well as yourself. That is the greatest gift anyone can give." - Dr. David R. Hawkins

12 hours ago, The Mystical Man said:

The Power of Now is available in polish.

Actually he read that one and he liked it. We talked about it but still didn't click for him that he could be enlightened. He also read Ken Wilber "Unification of science and religion" or sth like that.

Ralston's work is very grounded and non-New Agey.

Jed McKenna is also good in that regard.

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

6 hours ago, Leo Gura said:

Ralston's work is very grounded and non-New Agey.

Jed McKenna is also good in that regard.

Ralston's work isn't even available in German. It's a miracle that Jed's work got translated into German.

Edited by The Mystical Man

"Make a gift of your life and lift all mankind by being kind, considerate, forgiving, and compassionate at all times, in all places, and under all conditions, with everyone as well as yourself. That is the greatest gift anyone can give." - Dr. David R. Hawkins

23 hours ago, Yarco said:

If you have to do it in book form, I'd get a work of fiction that explores the ideas of enlightenment and has some entertainment value, rather than just presents it as fact.

Hesse's Siddhartha comes to mind.

@Arthogaan Do you think your dad sees himself as being someone who is effectiveness at achieving goals they set themselves?

Be-Do-Have

You have to play the cards you're dealt

There is no failure, only feedback

3 hours ago, Ulax said:

@Arthogaan Do you think your dad sees himself as being someone who is effectiveness at achieving goals they set themselves?

I don't think so. He does not have any goals. He just a boomer that has duties and daily tasks. He is mostly stage blue. But still he resonated with Ekhart Tolle book.

I managed to find first book of Jed Mckenna translated to polish. That is my best bet so far. 

@Arthogaan Do you think he would be open to a psychotherapy?

Be-Do-Have

You have to play the cards you're dealt

There is no failure, only feedback

9 hours ago, Ulax said:

@Arthogaan Do you think he would be open to a psychotherapy?

Nope. Boomers in my country on average think that any kind of psycho- therapy is for sick people and that they would never go because they are fine.