Julian gabriel

How to Become a Better Friend

5 posts in this topic

What is it to be someone’s friend in your opinion? 
and how do you become a better friend?

(your answer can be short, I’m just interested in hearing a lot of opinions) 

Help them when they want it, listen to them, accept them, maintain contact, doesn't need to be a lot, just enough so they know they can always reach out to you, it can be just asking them to an activity every three months or so

Edited by Devin

A dependable problem-solver. Someone who will do anything to help you, and vice versa. If your car breaks down, you know they'll drop everything to come pick you up. If you're sick and can't leave the house, they'll come drop off food and supplies and not even ask to be reimbursed, because they know you'd do the same for them. You can count on them to help you move, build a deck, or whatever task needs to be done.

Always shows up on time and if they say they're going to be somewhere, they'll be there, or you'll get a call if anything changes. Always do what they say they're going to do, and act with integrity.

Straight talk. They'll respectfully tell you the things that you need to hear, won't beat around the bush or be passive-aggressive. They do the right thing and committed to the success of their friends. Show that they genuinely care about you through their actions, not just their words.

Edited by Yarco

the friend compliments the better friend criticises ... they challenge you they don't just comfort you ... can you take it?

A true friend is another human, who you are one with, in a non-romantic non-familial way. 

To become a better friend. You have to be:

More Humble, More Authentic, More Loving, More Caring, More Self-Sacrificing, More Healthily-Supportive, More Curious, More Independent, More Vulnerable, More Reliable, More Responsible, More Passionate, Funnier, More Relatable, More Punctual, More understanding, More conscious, More Present, More Available, Better Listener... and the list goes on.

Less Narcissistic, Less Clingy, Less Jealous, Less Judgmental, Less Hateful, Less Selfish, Less Needy, Less Dependent, Less Shy, Less Overly-Selfless, Less I-Like-Talking-About-Myself, Less I-Hate-Talking-About-Myself, Less Conceited, Less Talkative, Less Quite... and the list goes on even further.

In short, just be a more integrated human being.

Edited by Swarnim