Bird Larry

Is anyone sick of lyrics in music?

92 posts in this topic

Galaxy-brain tier: music that has lyrics that you can't understand or hear properly

Edited by lostingenosmaze

“We have two ears and one mouth so we can listen twice as much as we speak." -Epictetus

22 hours ago, thisintegrated said:

What about meaningless lyrics with made up words?

But yeah, I generally couldn't care less about lyrics.

It just opens up the medium of music to those who can't understand/appreciate musicality.  I know people for whom melody/harmony/rhythm/scale/etc. mean nothing, and all they enjoy is the lyrics.  But at that point it's literally just poetry and idgaf about that.

Te = actually understands and cares about the meaning of the song, the macro- and micro-contexts of every sound's place in history as a whole, the lives past and present and future of the makers of the song, the concepts of the lyrics, the cognized beauty of the lyrics, the intention of the lyrics and the spiritualities and emotionality and lessons, of course with the added atmospheric sublimity of the sounds. Ne = ah, pretty sounds cool, neat harmonies.

18 minutes ago, AtheisticNonduality said:

Te = actually understands and cares about the meaning of the song, the macro- and micro-contexts of every sound's place in history as a whole,

I love understanding the historical contexts of musical genres and pinning songs against them :) For example, I like to think of Tool as the King Crimson of the Grunge era (the Nirvana age). There is some obvious 90s Rush in there as well (there is one part in the song "Animate" from Counterparts that sounds so much like Tool, it's impossible to miss it).

Intrinsic joy is revealed in the marriage of meaning and being.

18 minutes ago, AtheisticNonduality said:

Te = actually understands and cares about the meaning of the song, the macro- and micro-contexts of every sound's place in history as a whole, the lives past and present and future of the makers of the song, the concepts of the lyrics, the cognized beauty of the lyrics, the intention of the lyrics and the spiritualities and emotionality and lessons, of course with the added atmospheric sublimity of the sounds. Ne = ah, pretty sounds cool, neat harmonies.

If you're not listening to it for the music, then you're not listening to it for the music.  You're just appreciating poetry.

I see this as a disability tbh.  Poetry is one thing.  Music is its own thing.  If you can't understand music, then that's just sad.

@thisintegrated I never actively listen to lyrics. Never approached music that way (except for some rap songs). If I ever understand what the song is about, it's on accident xD

5 minutes ago, Carl-Richard said:

@thisintegrated I never actively listen to lyrics. Never approached music that way (except for some rap songs). If I ever understand what the song is about, it's on accident xD

Well that's how you're supposed to listen to music.  Though it doesn't come natural to everyone.  Like how severely autistic people can't understand facial expressions, they're often also unable to understand music and find other ways of deriving enjoyment from it, i.e. appreciating the use of vocabulary in the lyrics.

On 9.8.2022 at 7:34 PM, Carl-Richard said:

There are like 3 pop songs that come to mind that my gym plays regularly that I kinda like, but I don't know what they're called -_-

I just found one of them, but holy crap, the music video is revolting. It's the descending melody in the chorus that I like (like at 0:53) :) 

18 minutes ago, thisintegrated said:

Well that's how you're supposed to listen to music.  Though it doesn't come natural to everyone.  Like how severely autistic people can't understand facial expressions, they're often also unable to understand music and find other ways of deriving enjoyment from it, i.e. appreciating the use of vocabulary in the lyrics.

You're using "i.e." too now? I'm such a bad influence xD

18 minutes ago, thisintegrated said:

Well that's how you're supposed to listen to music.

There are some cool artistic ways of deploying lyrics though. For example, I just realized (or confirmed a long-term suspicion) that when Maynard sings the lyric "please forgive this selfish question" in Wings For Marie Pt. 1, he actually sings "selfish" in the left ear and "selfless" in the right ear. Listen at 5:04, it's really cool:

7 minutes ago, Carl-Richard said:

There are some cool artistic ways of deploying lyrics though. For example, I just realized (or confirmed a long-term suspicion) that when Maynard sings the lyric "please forgive this selfish question" in Wings For Marie Pt. 1, he actually sings "selfish" in the left ear and "selfless" in the right ear. Listen at 5:04, it's really cool:

A gimmick, imo.  But sure, it's creative and cool.

I prefer use of lyrics like this:P

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FQUrmnwCuqs

(Made up words.  Proves my point how the meaning of the words is absolutely 100% irrelevant.)

16 minutes ago, thisintegrated said:

I prefer use of lyrics like this:P

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FQUrmnwCuqs

(Made up words.  Proves my point how the meaning of the words is absolutely 100% irrelevant.)

What about words that are so ambiguous and weird that you're not sure if they're made up or not?

She had that
Camarillo brillo
Flamin out along her head,
I mean her mendocino bean-o
By where some bugs had made it red

xD

@Carl-Richard baby baby baby ooooohhhh baby baby baby oooooooohhhh

♡✸♡.

Be careful being too demanding in relationships. Relate to the person at the level they are at, not where you need them to be.

You have to get out of the kitchen where Tate's energy exists ~ Tyler Robinson 

Just now, Tyler Robinson said:

@Carl-Richard baby baby baby ooooohhhh baby baby baby oooooooohhhh

cringe.jpg

6 minutes ago, Carl-Richard said:

What about words that are so ambiguous and weird that you're not sure if they're made up or not?

Well they'd make the song more catchy and memorable, but not necessarily any better.

imo lyrics should just be there for the way they sound, and/or their connotations/vibe (e.g. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e0QhxF4OmhQ but this genre is a rare example of where it actually matters)

Edited by thisintegrated

50 minutes ago, thisintegrated said:

If you're not listening to it for the music, then you're not listening to it for the music.  You're just appreciating poetry.

I see this as a disability tbh.  Poetry is one thing.  Music is its own thing.  If you can't understand music, then that's just sad.

Music is not good for the sake of just emotions and melodies; music is good for what it means, which is inextricably connected to . . . THE MEANING OF THE SONG, THE MEANING OF THE ALBUM, THE MEANING OF THE HUMAN BEINGS, THE MEANING OF HUMAN HISTORY, ETC.

Poetry

Most lyrics don't count as poetry.

1 minute ago, thisintegrated said:

Well they'd make the song more catchy and memorable, but not necessarily any better.

imo lyrics should just be there for the way they sound, and/or their connotations/vibe (e.g. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e0QhxF4OmhQ)

Then Death Metal is the genre for you. The lyrics are just vehicles for sound and are completely unintelligible :D 

2 minutes ago, Carl-Richard said:

cringe.jpg

It appeared as though Justin Bieber was crying in his baby song. 

♡✸♡.

Be careful being too demanding in relationships. Relate to the person at the level they are at, not where you need them to be.

5 minutes ago, Carl-Richard said:

Then Death Metal is the genre for you. The lyrics are just vehicles for sound and are completely unintelligible :D 

Like Mr. Robinson pointed out, "baby baby baby ooooohhhh baby baby baby oooooooohhhh" means fuck all in the pop genre.  Basically all pop music lyrics are meaningless and add nothing to the music.  The example I gave just shows how choice of vocabulary can change the vibe of song.  But even then it's more a matter of artistic value than musical value.  In hiphop, the vibe is more important and so the lyrics can change how you feel about a song.  But this is rare, and most music is completely unaffected by lyrics.

Edited by thisintegrated

9 minutes ago, AtheisticNonduality said:

Music is not good for the sake of just emotions and melodies; music is good for what it means, which is inextricably connected to .

Music is there for stimulation/enjoyment, not emotion or anything else unless it's an OST for a film or something.  

. . THE MEANING OF THE SONG, THE MEANING OF THE ALBUM, THE MEANING OF THE HUMAN BEINGS, THE MEANING OF HUMAN HISTORY, ETC.

Irrelevant.  I've never listened to a song just because the album had some lore with some deeper meaning the composer had in mind.  Every person has an individual interpretation of every song.  There is no "real" / "true" meaning behind anything.

Edited by thisintegrated

Like if you steal someone's lyrics and if someone were to ask you what you exactly stole, your answer would be - 

I stole "baby!" .... Hahaha :D

I can't. 

♡✸♡.

@Carl-Richard I have a suggestion for you. You need to write a song with only two words as lyrics - "Duracell Bunny." :D 

Your song will be at the top of the charts. 

♡✸♡.