ZenAlex

Nuts - What's the limit?

13 posts in this topic

Does anyone have any decent sources to determine what the limit on eating nuts should be?

I can eat between 35-70g per day of mixed nuts - Cashews and almonds.

They're a great way to get enough calories and be healthy, just wanting to know what you guys think?

I bet i eat around 200g of nuts a day, Doesnt seem to cause any problems for me. 

“We are most nearly ourselves when we achieve the seriousness of the child at play.” - Heraclitus

no negative effects unless you are overeating on salted nuts or nuts dipped in chocolate 

“If you find yourself acting to impress others, or avoiding action out of fear of what they might think, you have left the path.” ― Epictetus

You shouldn't be eating more than a couple brazil nuts per day or you risk giving yourself selenium poisoning.

Make sure you're buying nuts that are unsalted and dry roasted so they aren't covered in oil. Mixed nuts are especially low quality, cheaper brands are usually like 75% peanuts.

If you're eating large enough amounts, it might be better to buy separate individual bags of each nut you like and then mix them together yourself. 

Edited by Yarco

Make sure the nuts you’re getting don’t have any vegetable oils in them. I prefer raw nuts although at this point I've mostly cut out nuts as my body doesn’t fully digest them.

The game of survival cannot be won. 

13 hours ago, P Michael said:

Anyone tried soaking them? 

It's a hustle and it tasted a bit funky. The benefits sound compelling but I'm not willing to go to such lengths for it. But if you have the time and enjoy this type of stuff, try it out.

“We are most nearly ourselves when we achieve the seriousness of the child at play.” - Heraclitus

On 28/07/2022 at 4:31 PM, Michael569 said:

no negative effects unless you are overeating on salted nuts or nuts dipped in chocolate 

What about lectins? I hear they’re bad from the gut and a lot of nuts have high lectins 

@B222 naaah man antinutrients (as a dietary factor evidently associated with disease) is a complete bogus ? you're good. 

Eat thoz nutz

“If you find yourself acting to impress others, or avoiding action out of fear of what they might think, you have left the path.” ― Epictetus

@B222 because there is no evidential basis linking consumption of nuts to negative health outcomes.

People who consume nuts have more favourable cardiovascular disease and diabetes outcomes. 

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5748761/

Intolerance of nuts is either polyol intolerance (nothing to do with lectins) or nut allergy or generally messed up gut through years of low fibre diet, antibiotic overprescription, eating a garbage foor throughout the majority of life, alcohol abuse etc.

But ofcourse always listen to your body. There is no need for us to be dogmatic. If nuts don't sit with you, don't eat them. But let's not blame antinutrient for our individual intolerances or personal biases and beliefs.

The same person who sold you on the idea of lectins is probably selling you on the ideas of toxic vegetables, fruit = sugar, healthy red meat, good saturated fats and basically trying to take everything in nutrition and twist it upside down to create a bunch of drama and sell you some lectin shields or other crap that not only you don't need but that is going to take you further form the desired health outcome. 

Thanks ?? What are your thoughts on lectins in general then? Also, kidney beans, peas, chickpeas, etc are high in lectins, they still good?