Superfluo

Bodyweight or gym training?

32 posts in this topic

@Carl-Richard

18 hours ago, Carl-Richard said:

Yes, that's about where I'm aiming my physique to be, but smaller.

Like a Rocky Marcianno and a Bruce Lee physique, but with some fat and can still do other movements and martial arts.

6 hours ago, Danioover9000 said:

Yes, that's about where I'm aiming my physique to be, but smaller.

A smaller version than a strongman world champion from the 80s. Ok ?

Intrinsic joy is revealed in the marriage of meaning and being.

Weight training is in general easier than calisthenics.

For one, it's way easier to progressively overload on weight training. Once you're able to get, say, 15 reps of a calisthenics movement, you're not really gonna be able to overload much more from a hypertrophy or strength standpoint.

Weight-training on the other hand is ridiculously conducive to overload, needless to say.

I think another issue with calisthenics is that some movements might be too difficult.

I think the main argument for calisthenics would be if you really enjoy it, because some of the movements do seem like a lot of fun.

@Carl-Richard

On 21/07/2022 at 9:13 PM, Carl-Richard said:

A smaller version than a strongman world champion from the 80s. Ok ?

Yes, that's my aim despite my genetics and body composition other health limitations. I'm 5'5 and weigh 130 pounds.

@thenondualtankie

10 hours ago, thenondualtankie said:

Weight training is in general easier than calisthenics.

For one, it's way easier to progressively overload on weight training. Once you're able to get, say, 15 reps of a calisthenics movement, you're not really gonna be able to overload much more from a hypertrophy or strength standpoint.

Weight-training on the other hand is ridiculously conducive to overload, needless to say.

I think another issue with calisthenics is that some movements might be too difficult.

I think the main argument for calisthenics would be if you really enjoy it, because some of the movements do seem like a lot of fun.

It's possible to do progressive overloads with Calisthenics, but it'll have to be with weights as well. Another possibility is to fatigue your nervous system a bit beforehand, by doing sets of isometric exercises, then do the reps and do one isometric set after, because in reality your muscles have a lot of help from your nervous system.

48 minutes ago, Danioover9000 said:

@Carl-Richard

Yes, that's my aim despite my genetics and body composition other health limitations. I'm 5'5 and weigh 130 pounds.

These guys are generally 6'3-6'7 and 280-450lbs ?

I'm 5'11 and 178lbs :D I have a picture of my back if you go to Someone here's topic on testosterone ? ? ??

7 hours ago, Carl-Richard said:

I'm 5'11 and 178lbs :D I have a picture of my back if you go to Someone here's topic on testosterone ? ? ??

Pics or get the fuck out. i've heard many grand rumours of that hair. One can only be so patient, it's time. :D

How is this post just me acting out my ego in the usual ways? Is this post just me venting and justifying my selfishness? Are the things you are posting in alignment with principles of higher consciousness and higher stages of ego development? Are you acting in a mature or immature way? Are you being selfish or selfless in your communication? Are you acting like a monkey or like a God-like being?

19 hours ago, integral said:

Pics or get the fuck out. i've heard many grand rumours of that hair. One can only be so patient, it's time. :D

"That hair"?! xD 

Just scroll down, it's still on page 1 if you want to see an absolute HOUSE ??

@Danioover9000 Uh, what the hell is "help from your nervous system"? I don't think what you've said here has any scientific basis. As far as I know the nervous system is simply what engages the muscle. It's still the muscle doing all of the work, even if there's "help" from the nervous system.

Fatiguing your nervous system will make you weaker, i.e. less able to push your muscles to their limits (i.e. near/at true failure). This will lead to less growth.

@Carl-Richard  Was this the post?

On 7.7.2022 at 8:00 PM, Carl-Richard said:

It's one thing to look at the level of testosterone at one snapshot in time. It's another to look at a body that has been under the effects of testosterone for a long period of time. Picture a guy who has been on steroids for 1 month vs. 10 years.

This reminded me of a picture that was taken earlier this week of me and my brother ?:

I'm 24 and he is 20. Guess who is who ?

Also similar back.

4 minutes ago, Danioover9000 said:

Was this the post?

No, obviously not 9_9

@thenondualtankie

21 hours ago, thenondualtankie said:

@Danioover9000 Uh, what the hell is "help from your nervous system"? I don't think what you've said here has any scientific basis. As far as I know the nervous system is simply what engages the muscle. It's still the muscle doing all of the work, even if there's "help" from the nervous system.

Fatiguing your nervous system will make you weaker, i.e. less able to push your muscles to their limits (i.e. near/at true failure). This will lead to less growth.

Your muscles extend and contraft are directly affected by how the synaptic signals are firing. In most cases, if you are at prime health and not fatigued, you can flex your muscles mucb more harder. The problem is if your goal is to grow muscles, looking from the exercise angle, you can warm up, but you won't be able to maximize as mucb microscopic muscle tears as possible by just going from rep to rep, from contraction to extension with little focus. You have to squeeze the weight for a second, then do the contraction slowly, then squeeze at the end, then extend slowly, then squeeze the muscle at the end of the movement, then repeat. The time under tension is what's going to create more damage for your musclesto recovery from. Not just rep too quickly or in bad form. If you want even more efficiency, do a set of isometrics on the target muscles, a few before doing your normal exercises, so as to minimize the help from your synaptic system, to let the muscle group work far more.

Edited by Danioover9000