KaoDeo

Visual field changes while concentrating on object

6 posts in this topic

Hi guys,✌️ 

I've been doing Ekagrata (yogic practice of concentration) for about a month and I've experienced quite remarkable changes in visual field. The object I observe (a beam of light resting on the closet handle) starts moving up and down, it even dissapears and appears on a different place leaving gray dots behind it. The light itself becomes very luminous and intensifies shining as I increase concentration. Sometimes, the beam even doubles. The whole room becomes smoky and it shakes giving me nauseous feelings. Simultaneously, I hear high pitched noice in the background. Lately, I've been seeing purple color coming out of the concentration object which covers almost the whole visual field.

Btw, there is another handle on the left of the handle I observe and the light on it moves along too. Once, I hanged my coat on the second handle and it also started moving up and down.

More than that, when I intensify concentration, I feel energy coming up from my stomach giving me very powerful sensations. Once, it was so powerful, it scared me to death (btw I feel that energy 'freeing' while doing meditation as I increase concentration on breathing)

Have you guys experienced something like that? Or do you know some resources for further research? ? @Leo Gura

@KaoDeo

On 19/06/2022 at 1:10 PM, KaoDeo said:

Hi guys,✌️ 

I've been doing Ekagrata (yogic practice of concentration) for about a month and I've experienced quite remarkable changes in visual field. The object I observe (a beam of light resting on the closet handle) starts moving up and down, it even dissapears and appears on a different place leaving gray dots behind it. The light itself becomes very luminous and intensifies shining as I increase concentration. Sometimes, the beam even doubles. The whole room becomes smoky and it shakes giving me nauseous feelings. Simultaneously, I hear high pitched noice in the background. Lately, I've been seeing purple color coming out of the concentration object which covers almost the whole visual field.

Btw, there is another handle on the left of the handle I observe and the light on it moves along too. Once, I hanged my coat on the second handle and it also started moving up and down.

More than that, when I intensify concentration, I feel energy coming up from my stomach giving me very powerful sensations. Once, it was so powerful, it scared me to death (btw I feel that energy 'freeing' while doing meditation as I increase concentration on breathing)

Have you guys experienced something like that? Or do you know some resources for further research? ? @Leo Gura

Yes I have, and more, like for example vibrant colours that shouldn't normally be on that location. Scientists say it's hypnogogia, spiritualists say it's chakra energy or something like that, but I say it's amazing to see that for yourself.

Wow ? Do you know any books about that? I've been researching and there seems to be little or no materials referencing that

Yep, that is pretty standard. I'm speculating here, but I think that is your unconscious perceptual structures throwing a fit. Your mind usually works to create a cohesive and fluid experience, but since these are dynamic functions that have adapted to certain habitual patterns, when you focus on something static for longer periods of time, your mind starts overcompensating and creating disturbances. It's kinda like how looking at something bright makes you see an inverted after-image when you close your eyes.

Intrinsic joy is revealed in the marriage of meaning and being.

43 minutes ago, Carl-Richard said:

Yep, that is pretty standard. I'm speculating here, but I think that is your unconscious perceptual structures throwing a fit. Your mind usually works to create a cohesive and fluid experience, but since these are dynamic functions that have adapted to certain habitual patterns, when you focus on something static for longer periods of time, your mind starts overcompensating and creating disturbances. It's kinda like how looking at something bright makes you see inverted after-images when you close your eyes.

Could be real-time phenomenal representation of error correction. Pretty cool. The brain expects movement but doesn’t get it, so is tweaks its modelling, leaving visual artefacts.

Another possibility is that it is the eye’s version of moire - which you can see in the recordings from lower resolution video cameras. This happens when the image detail is smaller and finer than the interval between each image sensor.

Apparently.

Very likely the beginnings of piti (meditative joy; rapture; kundalini). Culadasa's The Mind Illuminated can tell you a lot about piti and how to deal with it. Just ignore it and continue with the practice as is. If piti arises, something was done right, so continue doing that, i.e. don't do anything different such as focusing on the piti -- focusing on the piti is obviously not what caused piti to arise, since it wasn't there yet.

Edited by The0Self