no_name

HIIT workouts

6 posts in this topic

Are HIIT workouts or even weightlifting and jogging bad for you in the long run? If you work out 5-6 times a week, for 1-1.5 hours is it going to lead to some wear of the body?

@no_name I don't really think that they are bad for you, I think 4 to 5 times a week is good, hiit maybe 20 min to 30 min is very good and effective but you must do proper warm ups and cool downs.

Nutrition also very important along with a clean diet.

If you are worried about any damages in the long run you can do yoga exercises or poses.

Or you can combine everything and do whatever makes you happy.

One day running, one day hiit,  one day weight lifting, one day yoga, and one day cycling/swimming / walking.

Do whatever you want :-) 

You’re likely going to be far healthier doing exercise rather than avoiding it. Things like running or deadlifts might do damage in some ways, but it is usually susceptible individuals or people who have trained consistently for many years who have problems. There are always lower impact alternatives like cycling, swimming, or substituting exercises on a machine when barbell exercises like squat or deadlift are hard on your back. 

“Any kind of consciousness whatever, whether past, future, or present, internal or external, gross or subtle, inferior or superior, far or near — a disciple of mine sees all consciousness as it actually is with proper wisdom thus: ‘This is not mine, this I am not, this is not my self.’” - the Tathāgata

@no_name For sure. But it depends on your age, nutrition, sleep, recovery methods etc. 

Also depends upon how high you drive your heart rate. There are training zones (google it)

What I have learned in my long long journey of health and fitness is that smart gets you further than head through the wall. 
But when youre working out, there is no way around going very hard. But within controlled spaces. That brings max gains.

<banned for jokes in the joke section>

Thought Art I am disappointed in your behavior ?

No, the body needs movement, I do HIIT Training every week. It has many positive, noticeable benefits. You might not want to do it 6 days a week unless your trying to loose weight or have a serious strength goal though, because it does generate a good amount of fatigue. There will be some kind of obvious wear to some degree but because the body has adapted to it over many years I dont think youll be less capable than someone who never works out at all in the long run. I incorporate HIIT with my weight lifting routine and balance my fitness. Combined training of 4-5 days a week with 2 days to rest on a kind of rotation is what I do. As the prior posts mentioned diet, rest and being careful to not cause damage are key factors to consider. Consistency is most important, once you start you basically will need to maintain that habit for as long as your physically able to. You'll end up creating a baseline that you can choose to maintain with a fitness plan or progress further or digress. Atrophy can happen if you just stop which can cause you other issues. Being young, you can do more but obviously as you age you will want to tone it down accordingly, but id say its a life long habit. There's a video on Youtube ill link, of a 70 year old man whos been working out his entire life and hes in amazing shape and can do more physically than some highschool kids these days, So I would say look at that evidence if your curious about long term. https://youtu.be/g0GYBHD7KUQ

Edited by Kamo

Focus on the solution, not the problem

Like with most things, it's the extremes that are problematic. You have little to worry about unless you're a professional athlete or completely sedentary.

Intrinsic joy is revealed in the marriage of meaning and being.