Lord God

The Greatest Trap You Fell In On The Path.

21 posts in this topic

Hello all,

Having just extricated "my self" from an interesting trap, a thought appeared that it would be interesting to hear from others what traps they fell into, and how said traps were eventually navigated.

The trap which presented itself to me was from the amount of literature and information about enlightenment "I" was poring over. During meditation these concepts would consistently nag at me, and impede progress. Though they certainly created insights at the same time, all that "knowledge" certainly was a trap.

In the end it was only with the realization of oneness and the impossibility of "knowing" existence, that "I" realized relating anything to anything else (which is essentially how concepts are founded) is flawed. As soon as you start examining relationships you've lost the game, because it requires a study of one thing versus another thus creating the falsity of separation and never describing the one.

Kindly comment and share, perhaps together we can compile a list of the top traps and assist others in expediently surpassing them.

Truly

No one.

Edited by Zotikos

Thinking I knew everything was a big trap for me, and still is.

Everytime I think I know something just because I read something about it.

First I must realise that I actually don't know but I understand logically what I'm reading, and after I start doing the work to actually know it.

Usually that happens when it comes back to bite me. 

Assuming I understand something just because I read it somewhere is a big trap!

I think a big trap waiting for me is Ego.  Its nice to meditate and come in contact with True Self.  Its also great to read books by Tolle and Singer warning of ego's nasty tricks.  Its also very nice to think that one has conquered this nasty ego thing, but I have a sense that its going to have a go at me again real soon.  It got me today when I was least expecting it.  Someone disagreed with me on the forum and it kind of messed with me....hello Ego!!

Edited by Ramu
Misspelling

Thanks Alex and Ramu for contributing,

-Alex Certainly I can see thinking you know everything being a problem. I had a huge ego when it came to this, intuitively understanding things always lead me to think I knew better. How wrong I was! I love that you mentioned this trap cause it's definitely a huge one to overcome! Always reminds me of the whole glass analogy Zen Buddhism uses, when the glass is full nobody can fill it, so you must empty your glass before starting. Assume you know nothing, and how much more you learn! Thanks for sharing!

-Ramu, You mention the biggest trap for all of us! I think there are many layers to the ego, and dealing with those nasty negative emotions are certainly a huge step. Also love that you shared this, and I hope you're able to move into more peaceful waters soon! Thanks!

Truly

No One

The goal would be to become the water that gets poured in the glass, water takes every form and becomes the glass itself, and if you put water in a barrel it becomes the barrel. We must flow with life just like water flows everywhere, every growth is a new experience that we must flow with, as Bruce Lee would say "Be water my friend" ✌ 

One of the most interesting traps I have been in, is that I listened to so many spiritual masters from different backgrounds and cultures (and even religions), I created a big intellectual background about enlightenment but I didn't reach enlightenment itself, I found my mind is creating a story about every different way of teaching which made me think that enlightenment should have a story, or should be in one way not another!
and when stories contradict each others because of the different style of teaching or terminology I started to have a dogmatic problem.
enlightened being can come from any background and has any character identity from Jim Carry to Echart Tolle, look and character and how one is funny, and the other is serious, and the third is scary.. will make no difference.
the absence of ego does not mean the absence of character. character and ego are somehow different.
I overcame this by reminding myself that enlightenment is the absence of story, people are people.. each human being has their unique character and way of storytelling no matter what is their race or their cultural background, we should not mix the vast verity of charachters of spiritual masters and the essence of enlightenment.

Edited by MWS

I fell for wanting to be successful. But I was using societies values to guide me instead of finding my own. I left home right after high school at the age of 17 because I held a belief that teens should leave the home at the age of 18 or they won't ever be able to gain their independace.

Which I later realized it was my ego talking me into this. Because I was unhappy with my living situation at the time.

I left. I went out of state. Far enough to make sure no one would want to get on a plane any time soon to see me. And when I landed I immediately felt like I had everything to prove. 

I got my own apartment and I held decent jobs, enough to pay my bills. And I felt so proud. I even thought "how are adults in their 20's and 30's even 40's fucking up so much in life and I got all of my shit together and I can't even buy a drink? It's because they are all lazy hahaha".

Of course you know life quickly slapped me in the face after that. But I learned investing your energy into values that are not yours will only lead you over a cliff 

Common traps:

• Taking any of your thoughts seriously
  • Experiencing withdrawal symptoms or emotional upheaval during self-inquiry/meditation and taking this as a sign of something being wrong or you failing
  • Looking for the true self as an object located in space
  • Looking for the true self inside your skull
  • Looking for the true self outside your skull out in the external world
  • Trying to look for the true self without first generating a state of not-knowing
  • Trying to answer the "Who am I?" question logically or verbally
  • Looking for something mystical or hidden (nothing at all is hidden)
  • Getting lost in your personal story, thinking it is you
  • Trying to think your way into enlightenment
  • Trying to fake-surrender your way into enlightenment
  • Reading more books or watching more videos about enlightenment
  • Distracting yourself from sitting down and doing the work
  • Talking about or debating enlightenment with friends/family
  • Confusing enlightenment with a peak emotional state during meditation
  • Trying to become enlightened at any time other than NOW
  • Thinking there is someone who will become enlightened (there is not)
  • Assuming enlightenment will solve all your practical everyday problems like paying rent or your crappy relationship
  • Thinking you've found a secret, rapid process for becoming enlightened
  • Believing you do not exist because Leo talked about no-self
  • Creating a spiritual identity as the hero on the quest to kill the ego
  • Acting superior and judging people who don't know as much about enlightenment as you've read about.
  • Believing that there is a way, technique, or method to become enlightened (there isn't)
  • Tricking yourself by saying that you'll pursue enlightenment when you're older, after you're successful
  • Thinking you're enlightened when in fact you've only had a glimpse
  • Getting distracted into the "power realm" of spirituality, trying to acquire special powers
  • Thinking that you've discovered all there is to enlightenment and nothing more remains.

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

Loving all the energy flowing into this, everyone is mentioning some pretty sticky traps.

- MWS, I can certainly relate to that. Trying to understand enlightenment seeing so many people with different backgrounds presenting it can certainly be overwhelming. I think that's also a reason why religion ultimately fails, it's hard enough to discern the actual truth when it's being presented by 5 or 6 different people. Forget it when it has entire systems of belief attached to it. I enjoyed the eloquence of how you put that, thank you for the contribution.

-Pinocchio, my journey is certainly not over! I'm sure there are still some interesting traps or things you've noticed along the way you could share if you're so inclined!

-TiaKrystine, I think external validation is also a massive trap 99% of society fall into. They get stuck in a quasi state of wanting others to praise them and give them reassurance, and a depression of feeling unfulfilled with what society tells them to be in order to achieve that. I've found counter-intuitively only by going against the grain do you wind up truly getting the respect of your peers. It seems you've been through a lot and fought a hard battle to get there, but it seems the wisdom you gained was certainly worth it! This is definitely a trap a lot of us need to recognize, thank you for sharing.

Thank you to everyone who has added things, I hope we can keep flowing with this because we're nailing a lot of the traps people should become aware of. Tomorrow I will edit the original post to start including the one's people have mentioned. The contributions are truly appreciated.

Truly

No one.

So I'm thinking basically that what you need to do to reach your higher self is think about nothing for a very long time without the "nothingness" being interrupted? 

Edited by DizIzMikey

Lol .... Hmmm I wouldn't say think about nothing @DizIzMikey. Because that is almost impossible.

But you should try to start becoming mindful of the connections that all of your actions have on your life. No matter how big or small they are. 

When you start becoming aware and content with reality, that's when your highest self becomes reachable.

Everyone is free to debate ;) 

I'm not sure how to be mindful of any "connections" if I don't even know if those connections exist.

2 hours ago, Pinocchio said:

My greatest trap on the path? I'll let you know when I'm done... :P

I didn't expect that. From your previous posts, it sounds like you are. O.o

“Feeling is the antithesis of pain."

—Arthur Janov

I'd like to give some practical tools and red flags to avoid such traps, or get over them in bigger chunks :D 

• The ALWAYS trap ( I have always...been like this...done that...believed this...) : when you hear yourself saying that, thinking that, it is a sure sign that you're delusional! 
  • The ME trap: thinking that pain, disappointment, problems, upheaval, etc are happening to YOU...(they're just happenings.) 
  • The MUST, HAVE TO, SHOULD traps... self explanatory enough? All illusions! Cut them off..
  • The I THINK, I BELIEVE, I SEE traps: These are much subtler... much more stuck for us to see and cut off... Ego thrives in these :D 
  • The (I/you) NEED trap.. you are whole and perfect. There's nothing you need. It's an illusion
  • The I AM SURE trap: Everything that you affirm with certainty and solidity... oh boy! Encompassed here: I am right and you are wrong...my opinion is good, yours is bad - with all degrees of variation

More, later. Enjoy 

Ayla,

www.aylabyingrid.com

Man, that "Talking about or debating enlightenment with friends/family" is a real pain in the but for me! I'm the definition of a begninner and I know I shouldn't do it, but sometimes I just can't help it. Thik it's because I want my friends to pursue real happiness, but I can't make them.

4 minutes ago, RandomPaul said:

Man, that "Talking about or debating enlightenment with friends/family" is a real pain in the but for me! I'm the definition of a beginner and I know I shouldn't do it, but sometimes I just can't help it. Think it's because I want my friends to pursue real happiness, but I can't make them.

In fact, you CAN help your friends: by first doing it for yourself. When they will see you happy and fulfilled, they will become very curious and eager to follow you. :) 

Ayla,

www.aylabyingrid.com

@Ayla I do feel that to be true :Dm thing is I get really excited to get there and for them to see, but that makes me want it a lot, and should leave the wanting and excitement out of it in order to stay on a right path. I guess time will help us all, both me, and my friends 

53 minutes ago, Ayla said:

In fact, you CAN help your friends: by first doing it for yourself. When they will see you happy and fulfilled, they will become very curious and eager to follow you. :) 

That's...actually a really good idea, thank you. I shouldn't be so certain though! ;) Jokes aside, writing that in my plan to remind myself that it is possible that they may be helped, by helping myself.