no_name

Cognitive functions

202 posts in this topic

1 minute ago, thisintegrated said:

In the vast majority of your arguments, you rely on sources, citations, and other people's logic to back up your claims.  No Ti to be seen.

Interesting. Want to read my favorite topic "How to develop Intrinsic Health" and tell me what you see? Pls? :) I think that is the most accurate representation of myself imo.

https://www.actualized.org/forum/topic/78774-how-to-develop-intrinsic-health/#comment-1100296

Intrinsic joy is revealed in the marriage of meaning and being.

1 minute ago, Carl-Richard said:

Who is to say my Fe isn't higher than Leo's? Who is the real INTP? ?

Your Fe is in your "Critical" slot.  (Or the "opposed" slot if you're an INFP)

For Leo it's in his "Vulnerable" slot.

People with poor personal development will often avoid their vulnerable function.  If this is the case with Leo, then it's possible you'd use Fe more than him, but that's unlikely.

But since a feeling function is within your first two slots, you will likely have more active Fi AND Fe than Leo.  Just like Leo will have stronger Ti AND Te than you, despite rarely using Te.  

9 minutes ago, Carl-Richard said:

Interesting. Want to read my favorite topic "How to develop Intrinsic Health" and tell me what you see? Pls? :) I think that is the most accurate representation of myself imo.

https://www.actualized.org/forum/topic/78774-how-to-develop-intrinsic-health/#comment-1100296

Te is also the management/ordering of ideas obtained from other sources.  And the writing style just reminds me of Te users, who prioritize long-winded paragraphs as it looks more "professional".  If you want an example of Ti, look at Leo's one or two sentence long posts.  Straight to the point.

Good effort though.  You probably have a point in there, but it's too long-winded for me to finish reading now.

Edited by thisintegrated

11 minutes ago, thisintegrated said:

Te is also the management/ordering of ideas obtained from other sources.  And the writing style just reminds me of Te users, who prioritize long-winded paragraphs as it looks more "professional".  If you want an example of Ti, look at Leo's one or two sentence long posts.  Straight to the point.

That is another thing I'm skeptical about. What exactly qualifies as a cognitive function seems like an infinite sea of possibilities.

11 minutes ago, thisintegrated said:

Good effort though.  You probably have a point in there, but it's too long-winded for me to finish reading now.

Thank you! :) It didn't feel like effort though. It was a pure joy writing it. It was like I was channeling something ?

6 minutes ago, Carl-Richard said:

Thank you! :) It didn't feel like effort though. It was a pure joy writing it. It was like I was channeling something ?

Channeling!! You admit you were channeling someone else's ideas!! Te!!

I forgot to mention.. your disdain for hedonism is a sign of vulnerable Si, which is what ENFPs have..

6 minutes ago, Carl-Richard said:

That is another thing I'm skeptical about. What exactly qualifies as a cognitive function seems like an infinite sea of possibilities.

Well, can you think of a single function that isn't included as part of the pre-existing functions?

Sure, you could increase the resolution and have 32 or 64 or 128 functions, but that's impractical.  16 is a good enough resolution that's simple enough.  Perhaps the sweet-spot.  There's nothing missing from the 16 functions, it's just the resolution.  They include all the other functions which would exist if we had 32, but we don't need to know about them as it would overcomplicate things.

2 minutes ago, thisintegrated said:

Channeling!! You admit you were channeling someone else's ideas!! Te!!

Teehee! ?

3 minutes ago, thisintegrated said:

I forgot to mention.. your disdain for hedonism is a sign of vulnerable Si, which is what ENFPs have..

It's not really disdain. It's a preference.

I can eat cake. I just don't want to :P

4 minutes ago, thisintegrated said:

Well, can you think of a single function that isn't included as part of the pre-existing functions?

Sure, you could increase the resolution and have 32 or 64 or 128 functions, but that's impractical.  16 is a good enough resolution that's simple enough.  Perhaps the sweet-spot.  There's nothing missing from the 16 functions, it's just the resolution.  They include all the other functions which would exist if we had 32, but we don't need to know about them as it would overcomplicate things.

Heh maybe. At least I didn't test something like Fe dominant (or actually I did once, but I felt the test was really subpar). Anyways, I'll stop repeating the same two points now.

1 minute ago, Carl-Richard said:

Teehee! ?

It's not really disdain. It's a preference.

I can eat cake. I just don't want to :P

Heh maybe. At least I didn't test something like Fe dominant (or actually I did once, but I felt the test was really subpar). Anyways, I'll stop repeating the same two points now.

You're not really supposed to use tests.. they're all bad.  Only normies with zero interest in psychology actually use them..

1 minute ago, thisintegrated said:

You're not really supposed to use tests.. they're all bad.  Only normies with zero interest in psychology actually use them..

I guess I'm a man of contradictions, like my test scores ?

Just now, Carl-Richard said:

I guess I'm a man of contradictions, like my test scores ?

I mean, back when I was a kid I used to get INTP and INTJ scores !

Tests are bad

10 hours ago, Carl-Richard said:

significant factor for predicting said things or not, and that can be tested, and here MBTI fails just as much as star signs do ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

What exactly is big 5 predicting? Please stop using these big worlds, when you don’t understand the basics, it’s making my hair hurt.

Also, do you understand the difference between a test, which is something you would get on 16perspnalities.com, and the concepts themselves? The MBTI test is just trying to help you find your personality type, like depression tests are trying to tell you whether you have a depression, the test might not be good, it might tell you you don’t have a depression while you still do, but that doesn’t mean that depression isn’t real because the test for it is not good…

Edited by no_name

4 hours ago, no_name said:

What exactly is big 5 predicting? Please stop using these big worlds, when you don’t understand the basics, it’s making my hair hurt.

Stop acting like everything is a big word. Predictive utility/validity is arguably "the" criteria for a scientifically sound model in psychology.

In psychometrics, predictive validity is the extent to which a score on a scale or test predicts scores on some criterion measure.[1][2]

For example, the validity of a cognitive test for job performance is the correlation between test scores and, for example, supervisor performance ratings. Such a cognitive test would have predictive validity if the observed correlation were statistically significant

A recent study of Israeli high-school students found that those in the gifted program systematically scored higher on openness and lower on neuroticism than those not in the gifted program. While not a measure of the Big Five, gifted students also reported less state anxiety than students not in the gifted program.[171] Specific Big Five personality traits predict learning styles in addition to academic success.

GPA and exam performance are both predicted by conscientiousness

neuroticism is negatively related to academic success

openness predicts utilizing synthesis-analysis and elaborative-processing learning styles

neuroticism negatively correlates with learning styles in general

openness and extraversion both predict all four learning styles.[170]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Big_Five_personality_traits

5 hours ago, no_name said:

Also, do you understand the difference between a test, which is something you would get on 16perspnalities.com, and the concepts themselves? The MBTI test is just trying to help you find your personality type, like depression tests are trying to tell you whether you have a depression, the test might tell you you don’t have a depression while you still do, but that doesn’t mean that depression isn’t real because the test for it is not good…

Yes. It's easy to find out if you're a Cancer or not, but how do you find out if it matters?

@Carl-Richard can you stop using other sources/repeating things you’ve heard and think for yourself and tell me what is big 5 trying to predict? Every statistical model is evaluated based on some criteria to see how good it is. I am trying to get you to think for yourself and not repeat things you don’t understand.

Also, I am not writing this to offend you, I am genuinely curious about this quality, how is it that you feel comfortable to be so opinionated on a topic you know very little (if not nothing) about? 

@thisintegrated I agree, he is not a Ti

Edited by no_name

1 minute ago, no_name said:

@Carl-Richard can you stop using other sources/repeating things you’ve heard and think for yourself and tell me what is big 5 trying to predict? Every statistical model is evaluated based on some criteria to see how good it is. I am trying to get you to think for yourself and not repeat things you don’t understand.

Why should I? I didn't make Big 5 or invent the field of psychology, so of course I'm citing other sources when I can. This is not about me.

4 minutes ago, no_name said:

Also, I am not writing this to offend you, I am genuinely curious about this quality, how is it that you feel comfortable to be so opinionated on a topic you know very little (if not nothing) about?

I like psychology. I'm studying it in university. Great for you that you apparently know more about it than me and feel like criticizing my character. However, I still don't see why I should prefer MBTI over Big 5.

5 minutes ago, no_name said:

I agree, he is not a Ti

Sounds like Ti is something virtuous. Explains why so many people mistype themselves as an INTP.

21 minutes ago, Carl-Richard said:

Why should I? I didn't make Big 5 or invent the field of psychology, so of course I'm citing other sources when I can. This is not about me.

I am trying to get you to do this because I want to help you to understand this. You will not gain an understanding if you are repeating someone else’s idea without understanding it. I am just trying to help you! 

@thisintegrated what is your personality type btw? Also, would be interested to see if you could type me or identify which functions are dominating :$

2 hours ago, no_name said:

I am trying to get you to do this because I want to help you to understand this. You will not gain an understanding if you are repeating someone else’s idea without understanding it. I am just trying to help you! 

That's an interesting reframing of the topic.

4 hours ago, no_name said:

@thisintegrated what is your personality type btw? Also, would be interested to see if you could type me or identify which functions are dominating :$

I'm an ENTP 7w8

You're an NT of some kind.  Maybe an INTP if I was to guess.  You use a lot of Ti, Ne, and Ni.  Nemesis Te and Critial Ni seems to fit you?‍♂️

6 hours ago, Carl-Richard said:

Sounds like Ti is something virtuous. Explains why so many people mistype themselves as an INTP.

Every function has its place.  It's just sometimes annoying debating Ti-to-Te.  Logic won't matter to the Te user if it goes against the words of some perceived authority figure.  The only way to convince Te is by offering sources and citations, but the Ti user just wants to "logic-it-out" with you, treating it like a sport.  Hence the disappointed reaction Tis have to Tes.  

Edited by thisintegrated

I've been experiencing some cognitive decline post covid and I'm looking for ways to improve my cognitive function. 

INFJ-T,ptsd,BPD, autism, anger issues

Cleared out ignore list today. 

2 minutes ago, Preety_India said:

I've been experiencing some cognitive decline post covid and I'm looking for ways to improve my cognitive function. 

lol, this thread isn't about cognitive function, but about cognitive functions.  Maybe make a thread about this with some more info about your problems.

23 minutes ago, thisintegrated said:

Every function has its place.  It's just sometimes annoying debating Ti-to-Te.  Logic won't matter to the Te user if it goes against the words of some perceived authority figure.  The only way to convince Te is by offering sources and citations, but the Ti user just wants to "logic-it-out" with you, like a sport.

Right now I'm in studies mode, because that is what MBTI is lacking. On the other hand, if I'm talking about say non-duality, I would be surprised if I ever cite anybody.