no_name

Cognitive functions

202 posts in this topic

43 minutes ago, thisintegrated said:

The most reputable site of its kind.

Statistical accuracy is mostly dependent on sample size.  If 1000 people vote, then the probability of the top type being correct is incredibly high.

With a large enough sample size, and/or a basic understanding of the theory, this isn't a valid argument.

OK, let's say 1000 vote and that only half of them have a complete understanding of MBTI (granted there is such a thing). It's the same problem. There is no option to sort out the wheat from the chaff. When people don't agree on what they're voting on, the data becomes meaningless. It's like giving out a questionnaire with different questions each time and then trying to make out a pattern.

43 minutes ago, thisintegrated said:

16personalities.com/country-profiles/global/world Have fun

No cultures seem to have any difficulty understanding MBTI.  

My point is about the process of "I apply the theory myself, it makes sense to me, therefore it works". That process has flaws to it, and some of them involve cultural biases. Like you've said, people have different levels of understanding of MBTI, and all I'm saying is this is also influenced by your surroundings. You can also say there are different "types" of understanding of MBTI, which further complicates things.

Intrinsic joy is revealed in the marriage of meaning and being.

Just now, Carl-Richard said:

OK, let's say 1000 vote and that only half of them have a complete understanding of MBTI. It's the same problem. There is no option to sort out the wheat from the chaff. When people don't agree on what they're voting on, the data becomes meaningless. It's like giving out a questionnaire with different questions each time and then trying to make out a pattern.

If 90% of votes were random, and 10% were from those who know MBTI well, then there would still be a clear winner.  

1 minute ago, thisintegrated said:

If 90% of votes were random, and 10% were from those who know MBTI well, then there would still be a clear winner.  

You're assuming that the 10% would answer the same thing ;)

Just now, Carl-Richard said:

You're assuming that the 10% would answer the same thing ;)

That's why I said "those who understand MBTI"?

Two experts will always come to the same conclusion, given the same data.

Just now, thisintegrated said:

Two experts will always come to the same conclusion, given the same data.

and given a coherent framework :P 

3 minutes ago, Carl-Richard said:

and given a coherent framework :P 

MBTI is coherent enough.  Even novices will almost never mistake S for N, given enough information.  Two complete novices will come to more agreements than disagreements. 

On 2022-04-18 at 8:43 AM, Carl-Richard said:

It seems like we're on the same grounds.

Jesus, scared to imagine what disagreeing with you looks like :D

Edited by no_name

@Leo Gura would be curious to hear your opinion on this? What do you think about cognitive functions? Would you be interested in making a video about them? 

44 minutes ago, no_name said:

When you called out my statistics bluff, I became emotional and defensive. On top of that, I misunderstood how you were using the terms. So I felt a combination of needing to redeem myself while also feeling like you were gaslighting me (I was also on vacation and not eating or sleeping right). Not my best moment :S

3 hours ago, no_name said:

2 hours ago, Carl-Richard said:

When you called out my statistics bluff, I became emotional and defensive. On top of that, I misunderstood how you were using the terms. So I felt a combination of needing to redeem myself while also feeling like you were gaslighting me (I was also on vacation and not eating or sleeping right). Not my best moment :S

This is funny???

3 hours ago, no_name said:

@Leo Gura would be curious to hear your opinion on this? What do you think about cognitive functions? Would you be interested in making a video about them? 

I don't think Leo has much interest in psychology.  He's aware of his type, and of the basic idea of MBTI, but that's it as far as I know.

29 minutes ago, thisintegrated said:

This is funny???

I'm being vulnerable :$

14 hours ago, BuddhistLover said:

@thisintegrated What do you think my MBTI is?;)

INTJ  (Probably an older, more mature one)

Ni - as seen in your life advice to others

Te - your accounting degree

Fi - speaking from your own personal feelings; big focus on individual empowerment.

Edited by thisintegrated

12 minutes ago, BuddhistLover said:

@thisintegrated very interesting observations there my friend. thank you for your input.

Do you know what your type is??

18 minutes ago, thisintegrated said:

Do you know what your type is??

you were close, it is INFJ. I am pretty good at reading people's emotions, and I struggle a lot at math, so definitely INFJ. how about you? what's yours?

"Reality is a Love Simulator"-Leo Gura

9 minutes ago, BuddhistLover said:

you were close, it is INFJ. I am pretty good at reading people's emotions, and I struggle a lot at math, so definitely INFJ. how about you? what's yours?

INFJ was actually my first thought, but then I saw you're an accountant and I can't imagine an accountant INFJ?‍♂️

Accountancy is very T heavy (especially Te), and Te is a blindspot for INFJs (7th function).

INFJs are "idealists", so accountancy is rarely their career of choice.

I'm an ENTP.

Edited by thisintegrated

@thisintegrated hey! You're and ENTP! let's go baby! Yeah, I have to rely heavily on my internal Ti. Introverted thinking and use Introverted Intuition to line things up. Would you say math is more Ti or Te centered? But one thing I suck miserably at is organizing people, and running a business. That's where that blindspot Te comes in. It's bad. My thinking is like all over the place at times. 

Edited by BuddhistLover

30 minutes ago, BuddhistLover said:

@thisintegrated hey! You're and ENTP! let's go baby! Yeah, I have to rely heavily on my internal Ti. Introverted thinking and use Introverted Intuition to line things up. Would you say math is more Ti or Te centered? 

Abstract math is more Ti, simple math is more Te, I would think.

Te is more about management of numbers or organization of numbers, which I would imagine is what's needed in accounting.

Ti is more about contemplating on how to solve a hard problem.

30 minutes ago, BuddhistLover said:

But one thing I suck miserably at is organizing people, and running a business. That's where that blindspot Te comes in. It's bad. My thinking is like all over the place at times. 

Interesting.  Maybe you're an INFJ after all?

Edited by thisintegrated

Yeah, that;s the thing, xxFJ's are built to make art 10 hours a day. but the IxFJ's can getaway with 4 or so hours of Thinking. Whereas ExFJ's it's totally off the radar. Maybe one hour a day of thinking. Then the xxTJ's just work themselves to the ground thinking about maths for 12 hours a day. 

Edited by BuddhistLover