Darrick

Are Musicians "in Tune" With A Deeper Spirituality?

11 posts in this topic

My name is Darrick, 27, from the Silicon Valley. I play multiple instruments and can construct a complete song in an hour! (Lyrics, drums, guitar, bass, piano, etc.) ;) 

I don't just create any ordinary generic song.

Basically, i start from scratch, usually playing in "minor" (sad sounding) notes. Starting with guitar i make a BRAND NEW riff and continue on till i have that complete. Then on to the drums, then piano & so on. 

Almost effortlessly and without "thinking" and just going with the flow i create a very nice (and somber sounding) song!! (Ambient dark rock stuff) 

It is as if my body and mind go on auto pilot and the song kind of creates itself. (if that makes any sense :o)

Now after completing and recording a few of these songs i showed my auntie. She's had her fair share of psychedelic experiences in the past!! :) 

While we were listening to my new songs in her car she gazed up the toward the ceiling and was almost in tears. 

She explained how the music i create is an energy or outer source that is channeling itself (possibly from another dimension or wherever) through MY body and  through the instrument to the recording/song itself. And that it's a positive or negative energy that CAN move people & touch their emotions.

I was fucking amazed!! Now i thought she was just trippin' and over thinking. But now, 4 to 5 years later it seems to make a little more sense, what she was explaining!! 

Wow, some deep stuff!! Or maybe not. Perhaps i'm just a musician who has the talent and drive to create brand new songs from nothing in an hour!! Thanks for reading ;) 

IMG_2800.jpg

I feel that it's true that music has a deeper spiritual element to it, especially when a certain song creates an emotional response in a person.  Speaks to that person's soul.

Do you have some stuff you might want to share??  Really love seeing/hearing people's art. <3

@BabyBat Yes that is very true, when a song creates an emotional response in a person it MAY very well have a deeper spiritual element!! I sure hope so! Thank you for reading btw! I DO have some music for you to hear, some of the songs i was mentioning here! My email address is dthescrooge@gmail.com Send me an email & i can give you some links to my music!! ;) 

IMG_4385.jpg

4 hours ago, Darrick said:

Are Musicians "in Tune" With A Deeper Spirituality?

MUSIC is meditation – meditation crystallized in a certain dimension. Meditation is music – music melting into the dimensionless. They are not two.
If you love music, you love it only because around it somehow you feel meditation happening. You are absorbed by it, you become drunk in it. Something of the unknown starts descending around you.

Music, poetry, dance or love can become hindrances to meditation if you stop at them. First comes meditation, and then you can create great poetry and great music.

I've often felt like posting music as a reply to some threads on here, questions like "What is the meaning of life?" or such profound questions but have resisted the urge.

From what I understand is that all is vibration and frequency. Being a musician can help you understand how to find resonance, or get in "tune". They know how many tones harmoniously fit together and that might be useful in some deeper sense.

Music is fucking magic.

As your meditation practice deepens you can let go more into and really be absorbed within it and it'll give you the waves of goosebumps and you go deeper into feeling, it's really nice.

I really do think everything is connected. I think that frequencies, geometry, music all are interconnected. They all are based on "somethingness and nothingness". Music would be nothing without silence. You need silence for rhythm in beats, songs etc. Geometry would be nothing without nothingness. You need to have the nothingness in which geometry can be shown. Same goes for frequencies.

This list can continue to infinity. Life is one beautiful dance between these two opposites, which are actually two sides of the same coin.

4 hours ago, Snick said:

What do you mean, can become hindrances? 

Music comes next to silence, but the difference is very big. And it is not that all music necessarily comes close to it. In the name of music, contemporary idiots are doing something which goes even farther away from silence. 

In the East, music has been always accepted as a spiritual phenomenon. If your music cannot create silence in the people who are listening, it is not music. If your music does not become an unmoving no-mind in the people of your audience, it is not music. It is just making noise.

Even a man like Picasso is not sane -- very intelligent but not sane. The paintings show his mind. They are nightmarish. They don't have the beauty of the classical art. It is just like jazz music, which is insane and cannot be compared to classical music.

A musician can easily become a meditator, he is very close. There is nothing closer to meditation than music -- wordless, meaningless, but tremendously significant. It says nothing but shows much, expresses nothing but brings to you a great splendor. From musician move towards the mystic. The day your music consists only of silence, you have arrived home.

4 hours ago, Snick said:

do you think music is more aline with meditation then other artforms?

When the dancer disappears and only the dance remains, it is meditation. If the dancer is there then it is only dance, not meditation. When the singer disappears and only the song remains, it is meditation. When the musician is not found and only music remains, then it is meditation.

The modern trends in music are far away from it: they are more noisy, less musical. Jazz and other music is more sexual, less spiritual. They are loud. They keep your mind occupied, certainly; they are so loud that you have to remain occupied.

One more thing I also would like to note is that listening to music almost requires no energy. Visual things, smell, taste and touch are much more invasive and demanding to be experienced. Music or sound is therefor closer to our groundstate of being since we find "more rest" in it. Notice how songs can dramatically affect your mood, while looking at a nice painting is cool but not as impactful.

I also notice how there seems to be a surprising amount of 'otherness' in musicians, I suppose this goes for artists in general, but to me it's noticeable how much the soul/afterlife/God is referred to in songs whereas these are topics the general public doesn't really openly talk about often, at all.

Other than that musicians are always noticeably more expressive.

Also, I've said this often, but singing is an amazing spiritual tool. There is nothing more fear revealing that trying to sing from our soul, if you do it mindfully (which you must anyways). And I am sure that almost everyone here who hasn't sung yet will be surprised at how good they can sing (if they have moments wherein they can let their fear ego), because when you go all in without any holding back you sound AMAZING. And suddenly you listen to other artists and you think 'gosh, why did I put them on a pedestal, I can do this too!!', another toxic cultural limiting belief BUSTED.