Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Raze

Man, 19, jailed for racially abusing Marcus Rashford on Twitter

7 posts in this topic

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2022/mar/30/man-19-jailed-for-racially-abusing-marcus-rashford-on-twitter

A teenager has been jailed for six weeks for racially abusing Marcus Rashfordon Twitter after the Euro 2020 final, the Crown Prosecution Service (CPS) has said.

Justin Lee Price, 19, of Worcester, was sentenced on Wednesday at Kidderminster magistrates court, in Worcester.

He directed a slur at the 24-year-old Manchester United striker after England’s defeat in a penalty shootout against Italy last summer.

Price previously admitted one count of sending a grossly offensive message by a public communication network at a hearing at Worcester magistrates court on 17 March.

He initially tried to avoid detection by changing his Twitter username after the post was reported, the CPS said.

The teenager then denied the offence in his first police interview after his arrest, but later admitted posting the tweet when officers questioned him a second time.

Mark Johnson, senior crown prosecutor for CPS West Midlands, said: “Price targeted a footballer based on the colour of his skin and his action was clearly racist and a hate crime.

“Those who racially abuse footballers ruin the game for all. I hope this case sends out the message that we will not tolerate racism and offenders will be prosecuted to the full extent of the law.”

Douglas Mackay, the CPS sports lead prosecutor, said hate crimes relating to football had risen significantly over recent years.

“The UK Football Policing Unit’s internal mid-season report has shown a significant rise in football-related criminality compared to pre-pandemic levels,” he said. “At the CPS, we play a crucial role in tackling these crimes and making our national sport inclusive and safe to watch.

“There is no place for hate in football and hate crimes such as this has significant impact on victims.”

2 hours ago, Danioover9000 said:

@Raze

So this is considered a cyber crime now?

That poor guy, earning $25M from kicking a ball around and then having to see a teenager call him a slur online. I don't know how he's ever going to recover.

Not a cyber crime, more like indecency laws. Not the first time or a recent thing, this is just the UK's archaic and restrictive laws in action.

Here's the same thing happening in 2012: https://www.itv.com/news/tyne-tees/update/2012-03-21/racist-tweets-community-service-order-for-student/

2013: https://www.sportsmole.co.uk/diving/team-gb/london-2012-olympics/news/homophobic-abuse-towards-daley-was-prank_37422.html

As far as I know, it's actually getting worse instead of better in the UK. They've passed laws since then about "intimidating politicians" and other things which are so vague that they can basically arrest you for making fun of a politician on Twitter.

"A total of 2,500 Londoners have been arrested over the past five years for allegedly sending “offensive” messages via social media. In 2015, 857 people were detained, up 37 per cent increase since 2010."

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/arrests-for-offensive-facebook-and-twitter-posts-soar-in-london-a7064246.html

That's just in one city.

It's bad enough that it was a consideration when deciding whether I wanted to spend the rest of my life in the UK or to move back to Canada. Limitations on speech, "oi 'ave u got a loicence for that TV", having to show ID to buy glue, or chocolates with alcohol in them. It's an absolute nanny state. I ONCE GOT ASKED FOR ID WHEN BUYING PLASTIC CUTLERY IN THE UK.

Almost nowhere in the world except America actually has freedom of speech. 

Canada is better than the UK but still far from what the US has. Freedom of Expression is a thing in our Charter. But there are still "reasonable" limits like obscenity and defamation that are still restricted. If it was up to me, I think the only limitations on speech should be incitement of violence or threats of violence.

Edited by Yarco

@Yarco

3 hours ago, Yarco said:

That poor guy, earning $25M from kicking a ball around and then having to see a teenager call him a slur online. I don't know how he's ever going to recover.

Not a cyber crime, more like indecency laws. Not the first time or a recent thing, this is just the UK's archaic and restrictive laws in action.

Here's the same thing happening in 2012: https://www.itv.com/news/tyne-tees/update/2012-03-21/racist-tweets-community-service-order-for-student/

2013: https://www.sportsmole.co.uk/diving/team-gb/london-2012-olympics/news/homophobic-abuse-towards-daley-was-prank_37422.html

As far as I know, it's actually getting worse instead of better in the UK. They've passed laws since then about "intimidating politicians" and other things which are so vague that they can basically arrest you for making fun of a politician on Twitter.

That's just in one city.

It's bad enough that it was a consideration when deciding whether I wanted to spend the rest of my life in the UK or to move back to Canada. Limitations on speech, "oi 'ave u got a loicence for that TV", having to show ID to buy glue, or chocolates with alcohol in them. It's an absolute nanny state. I ONCE GOT ASKED FOR ID WHEN BUYING PLASTIC CUTLERY IN THE UK.

Almost nowhere in the world except America actually has freedom of speech. 

Canada is better than the UK but still far from what the US has. Freedom of Expression is a thing in our Charter. But there are still "reasonable" limits like obscenity and defamation that are still restricted. If it was up to me, I think the only limitations on speech should be incitement of violence or threats of violence.

I understand if in that hate speech the guy gave to that soccer player has negative racial remarks + incitement and suggestions of violence, terrorism, name calling, defaming, or anything in this forum's guidelines, but it seems it's just hate speech and a few racial remarks, but I'm just surprised it's a chargeable offense. Now I'm second guessing whether to use the twitter account I've made a week ago as part of marketing my life purpose.:(

Canada's a nice place to live, although I've spent the majority of my 8 years staying in Quebec, so if you plan on Canada as a long term stay rather than a holiday, don't pick Quebec because you will not only pay taxes for Canada, but also taxes for Quebec. I'm not too sure on property taxes for home owners there, vs renting monthly or yearly. The poutines and other foods there are nice too. Weather is a mix for me, I don't like the summers because it can be so humid, but the winters are really nice, proper snows. 

@Yarco

There is a wider context to this, the UK has a long history of racism and violence stemming from that racism, both from normal people and police. There gave been many cases in the past where black people have been murdered for being black. Also been ostracised from society or just generally harassed, attacked etc especially in regard to football, as in it would be normal for football fans to attack any black person they see.

Today it has improved a lot but I think Britain sees itself as a country that tackles racism and as such, you could argue that they may overreact to an incident like this but its almost like they're making an example out of the guy. It may look harsh and may even be harsh but within the context any acceptance of this where you let this kind of thing fester can have real world consequences. 

The other point with the politicians, in the UK there has definitely been one if not two politicians murdered in the last couple of years by people that have tweeted hateful comments at them. This is a fine line because there has to be criticism of public figures but I think there's a line between that and actual hate speech that could lead to something worse. There's also the factor of really affecting someone and being a cause fir them commiting suicide, which has also happened.

I get what you're saying in that you should be free to say what you want, but these a directed comments that the recipients see. If you're talking to your friends you can say whatever, but if you're directing comments like 'hope you die bitch' to the actual person that would be the equivalent of calling them and saying it, or leaving notes at their house or in public places, potentially even worse as the whole world can see them forever. 

Also UKs not that bad, I've lived here all my life and never paid a TV 'loicense' (we don't talk like that ?)

The footballer may be rich but idk if that means we can hand wave him being called racist words online. 6 weeks in jail seems a little excessive maybe but I know they are trying to clean up this sport so it may be what’s needed to do it. 

It’s all just very selective. If it wasn’t black Marcus Rashford, but Asian Son Heung-min who was insulted because of his racial background, this guy would not get jail time.

I’m against racism because I think judging people solely on the basis of their skin is very dumb. But I don’t believe the solution is to try and erase racism with brute force. I think you are only going to put people on edge.

RIP Roe V Wade 1973-2022 :)