Spence94

What is 'burnout?' How to stay on the path?

16 posts in this topic

It seems staying on track with goals over the long run is naturally challenging. I think burnout can be in the short term and the long term. We can burned out at the end of the day and at the end of a month or a season or year.

When burned out we might try to keep taking action but then our action is ineffective, we are more easily distracted and our mind wanders a lot more and we experience a lot less presence. We could also just stop taking action altogether either conciously or unconsciously. 

Maybe there is a message underneath our burnout to just chill the fuck out and come back later...Sometimes the message is listened to... sometimes it's not...

I guess it comes down to managing ones energy and trusting the Universe to bring us back to ourselves when we are so totally wiped out that it feels like we've fallen of the path.

I think Duncan Trussel said "The biggest lie of the mind is that the state you are in now is permanent and won't end." When I'm burned out, my mind plays this trap. 

"When you wanna start going to the gym, the key is to go for 30 minutes, but to then continue to go to the gym regularly." Leo

Maybe burnout is a form of a resistance too so gotta be careful.

Avoiding burnout:

Yoga. TaiChi. Journaling. Contemplation. Nature. Introspection. Meditation. Sleep. Healthy diet. Dream board. Reviewing ones goals each day even when they're wiped out. Working in shorter blocks. focusing on consistency over the long term instead of quantity.

Returning to the present moment whilst respecting and honoring the needs of the body and mind.

you will not burnout as often or as quickly when you release some of your inner burdens. these can look like judgments that became solid beliefs in order to protect yourself. or resentments held onto to protect yourself. or ideas that got turned into a shame mechanism. these things bog us down in a way that can hurt productivity and creativity and joy. if you try to go to a new level of consciousness these things will scream from beneath your consciousness, weighing you down until you do something about it. 

'Q: What is blocking you inside from being the vision?' It seems a lot trauma release work talks about raising your vibration. By letting go of these internal burdens our energy is freed up in such a way that we can then take much more consistent action with clarity.

Rogan says 90% of success is just showing up and doing it, but if was easy to just show up and do it, everybody would have what they want.

I guess doing that inner engineering work on the inner burdens would free one up to consistently show up and do it. Actions create the results in any field. What inside of you prevents the action? Let go of that and you'll be able to take more effective and consistent action.

Sounds like a new paradigm from which to act from once the burdens have been worked through.

showing up and doing it is the only way. but he didn't mention that shit comes up that you have to confront, work around, look at, feel, integrate etc.

@John Paul This is a good point. You can't be paralysed into non action but you can't just grinding it out and ignoring what's coming up.

It's like the Universe serves you up a dish, you chew it and work through it, then get back to action, then when you're ready the subconcious serves you up another plate to sort through.

Helpful to remind yourself that this happens though, otherwise you start thinking you're slipping.

So how do you @John Paul deal with the things that come up? What's an example of something that comes up and what triggers you to be aware of it?

@Spence94 i don't think that you ignore it and keep grinding... there is a "balance". too much ignoring and grinding could end up in a collapse i think. 

I don't know brother.... I am going through emotional turmoil right now, i don't have an answer. 

1. honor pain 2. don't accept "defeat" as a concept, just make mistakes (not bad) and re-strategizing/reflecting 3. self-care 4. THEN grind and ignore.... in no order really but 

@John Paul Eveything is impermanent. You will get through whatever you are going through.  Thank you for your words.

My friend asked me "Do you bring yourself back it or does it bring you back?" It seems to bring you back. Faith.

This is a very important topic. Ive noticed this everytime. Usually the emotional backlash is always equivelant to the level of growth you are trying to attain. So the harder you try push the heavier this backlash is. Its revealing your inner negative beliefs. I really dont know the answer to this either. Whats the best way? Because it can become debilitating. But you cant let it stop you from action. And at the same time we do want massive growth, which takes massive action. Anyone wanna chime in with possible solutions?

1. Push yourself massively to grow (You know what you need to do: Do it)

2. When you face emotional backlash and pain do not run away from it. Cut out all forms of dopamine/ pleasure distractions. Sit with it, sit through it and continue to doing what you need to be doing as best as you can.

3. Within your mind, start applying new mindsets. Reprogram your mind, through new thoughts and beliefs. Allow thoughts that make you feel good about yourself and life to flourish. Keep nourishing these thoughts throughout the day.

4. In time the emotions will subside. This is ample time to rinse and repeat the steps. As in aim even higher this time. Be ready for the backlash.

I feel like this is simply a reality we will need to learn to live with. One of those challenges that cant be escaped. Its all apart of the level your at. The only way to move up is to move through these emotions caused by deep inner beliefs.

Good luck everyone!

Edited by MarkusR

@MarkusR Nice.

I think we can also communicate with our subconcous mind. Make our subconcious mind our friend. Know it wants us to reach our highest potential and to actualize ourselves and the lives we envision. This awareness that our subconcious is giving us everything we need to experience so we can work with and through it is very useful i think.

There's no one answer to finding this balance that we are touching on here.It's a super messy looking process.

One important component of this is how you do your work itself. If you choose to opt for unhealthy work or do the work which is not unhealthy but you choose to go around doing it in unhealthy ways then a burnout will be just weeks away. You need to optimize, organize and coordinate your work in such a skillful manner (only you can know what works best for you), that you experience the least burnout and experience much less frequently. That's something you will need to figure out. 

Next thing would be to ask yourself if you're doing something that you are really passionate about. People who have passion for their work don't report burnout as much as those who don't feel a connection with their work.

Next solution would be to be intuitively aligned with your body and mind. The more finely tuned or  aligned you're, the better you catch yourself knowing when to relax and take a break before a full burnout is on the way. This way you relax, release and back again without sacrificing or suffering much. 

Hope this helps. 

INFJ-T,ptsd,BPD, autism, anger issues

Cleared out ignore list today. 

@MarkusR As to number 3. Recently i've dropping affirmations into my mind while i am meditating or straight after yoga-asana practice. it 'sinks' into your subconcious mind much deeper that way and allows your energy to be transfromed much more powerfully I feel. I am only  a month into this, but i am starting to see real shifts in thinking and action. You gotta get out of your way though. Having this forum post discussion right now is perhaps a result of getting the subconcious on board, i am not aware, but the changes are happening... It's not like you just do the work on the internal and then the external changes. You do the work internally, which leads to external changes in action, which changes the internal again, which eventually changes the external. If that makes sense...

@Preety_India Yeah, avoiding burn out and being a more disciplined individual is a long-term process of Self-discovery.

"I wasn't always like this, this is something I have cultivated over years." Joe Rogan

Edited by Spence94

Right action comes from stillness. Avoid burning out by remaining still. If we lose the silence, we get sucked into trying to control, and trying to control has a time limit. 

Stay timeless.

Edited by Spence94

Burnout happened under 2 scenarios.

When the rewards is not enough: When you keep working and yet does not see much results and you burn out and probably give up. It's like you open a new store for 1 year, you spent a lot on advertising and you also work very hard and then little results came. You burnt out.

The second type is when you actually have good monetary rewards for your work. You keep working until your body breaks down from exhaustion.

There is a real poor alignment in ones being when they're not doing the right thing at the right time. At soon as you do something longer than you should be doing it, you feel a sense of losing alignment, a disconnect. Once alignment is lost, harmony between body mind and breath is lost.  Once that harmony is lost, conditions for burnout are amplified.

Stay connected to body and breath. Stat in harmony with body and breath. Nature. Breathe. 

Edited by Spence94