sleep

How to deal with general disinterest in life?

26 posts in this topic

@sleep when you have always made life about yourself, it fucking sucks. what will really bring you up more and more out of that deep seperateness and depression and boredom, wanting more and more to create a better life for yourself is some kind of experience with other people where the power of authentic unconditional giving is presented and you take it - that experience, whenever it happens will guide you towards where you want to go

you are looking for yourself, but you are too blinded by the mind of an 'i' that goes from place to place seeking that fulfillment, at some point you enter the depression of well.. you've went from thing to thing to thing to thing starting from that toy as a child you had until now, unconsciously you have engrained nothing is really making you happy so now

this depression kicks in and it goes deep my friend

just be here, if you can do it this moment you can do it the next moment

this is the now, now is all that is real, the truth is now, not your concept or experience, just this

is there suffering in this ? work to be done young jedi. me

@catcat69123 Well said, I really relate to this. You have a way with words, Cathal :x

@sleep Getting a pet can be a great way to enrich your life with a sense of meaning and purpose. Live to make the life of your pet better! Just because life has no meaning in the ultimate sense, does not mean it is silly to give it a meaning that inspires you personally. I am planning on getting a pet raccoon one day because I find them to be such adorable little critters.

Pretending life is a game is also a fun way to make getting out of a rut a bit less brutal of a process.

When I am depressed, I do Mettā (a meditation technique where the object of attention is loving kindness, benevolence, amity, sympathy, friendliness, active interest in the wellbeing of others and general good will towards them) and Tonglen (a meditation technique in which you deeply inhale the worlds suffering and slowly exhale compassion for those beings in the world who are suffering right now). I also do Mettā or Tonglen every evening before I go to bed which helps me to fall asleep feeling well. If you think it would help (and it's ok with you), I would like to use you as the subject of my Mettā practice for this particular evening :). Additionally, these are two great ways I've found to recognise that I'm not alone in my pain and remind myself that I always have it in me to cultivate the good person I aspire to be (even when the pain makes it excruciatingly difficult not to act in ways that harm myself and others).

66f0ac.gif

(trademark for my blog) 

Focus on Staying Active

A loss of interest can make it difficult to stick to an exercise routine but focus on getting some physical activity in each day. Exercise has been shown to have a number of positive effects on mental health, including improving mood and decreasing symptoms of depression.Even going for a brisk walk each day can help.

Get Enough Rest

Lack of sleep can have a negative impact on your mental health.So if you are struggling with a loss of interest, make sure that you are practicing good sleep habits and giving yourself plenty of time each night to get quality rest.

Take Small Steps

While it may not be possible to throw yourself into the activities you normally love with the same gusto as before, it can help to do little things each day. If there is a hobby that you normally love but have lost interest in, challenge yourself to learn something new about it. Or break up a larger project into much smaller steps and set aside a little time each day to tackle just one thing.

Make Plans

Even though it can be difficult to get inspired, you may find it helpful to make plans for things that you want to do in the future, planning for the future, known as proactive coping, can help improve resilience.

Giving yourself things to look forward to and looking for things to get excited about can help you cope with the lack of interest you might be feeling at the moment. 

Find Support

When you’re feeling disinterested, it can be helpful to turn to friends and family for support. Let them know that you’re struggling with this lack of interest.

Sometimes just spending time around other people can lift your mood. Other people’s enthusiasm can also be contagious, so you might find that their zest for different activities starts to rub off on you as well.

Edited by Preety_India

INFJ-T,ptsd,BPD, autism, anger issues

Cleared out ignore list today. 

On 2022-02-23 at 0:10 AM, sleep said:

Every time I go to bed I wish I don't wake up the next day. Thing is I'm not particularly depressed, I just wish I wouldn't have to deal with life. I have no aspirations other than to avoid the pain in the ass-ness of everything as much as possible, and the more time passes I get more burnt out and this endurance test gets tougher. This isn't a recent situation or anything, I'm 21 and I've felt like this for as long as I remember. I want to quit life the same way you would want to quit a party when you've gotten bored.

I feel kind of lost and would be thankful if one of you guys that has dealt with this could offer me some advice. 

I feel the same but iam a bit older which makes it more difficult. Most of my friends are starting families and climbing the corporate ladder.

But i have ADD and sometimes falls into deep depression and despair. Maybe you should look that up? Skip the meds though, they fucked up my life in many ways. 

Just do nothing, wait, and it will get better for no reason.  That's how life works.  Progress just happens without you consciously doing anything.  All you have to do is nothing.

Edited by thisintegrated