Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Scholar

Suppressing the Ego vs Unravelling the Ego

5 posts in this topic

So I recently am having the experience of kind of reactivating certain parts of my ego that I seem to have repressed through spiritual work. When I do so, I notice emotions coming back to me that I kind of missed from my experience, which seem to be be directly tied to identity. I think I underestimated how much emotional regulation/creation is tied to the ego.

And the fact that these emotions were gone from my experience tells me that dissolving the ego is not as simple as it seems. Some dissolution might be harmful, and some dissolution might only seem like dissolution and actually be mere suppression. Identity very much determines how the world is perceived and what emotions one can and will feel. And sometimes when we remove "ego", we might even remove positive emotions from our experience or suppress them.

Glory to Israel

It's not about removing the ego. It's about developing the ego while realizing that you're not the ego.

@Scholar

Question the belief that ego is an entity and can be dissolved. Inspect the direct experience, meditate, see that the content of thinking is not you, you are the whole experience. The ego is activity, identification with thinking.

What a dream, what a joke, love it   :x

No need to suppress it, focus only on transcending it by deconstructing its narrative.