Preety_India

What about identity?

6 posts in this topic

Do you feel like you have a fixed identity or do you feel like you struggle and your identity fluctuates over time recurrently? 

Is it a good idea to have a fixed identity? Wouldn't it be closed minded to be fixed in your identity? 

I always thought that having a shifting identity was like an evolving process. But I could be wrong. You're free to disagree and state why. 

There can also be a trade off here. Constantly shifting identities can also mean loss of the self, as in you don't even know who you are anymore. Does this click? 

Do you define yourself as a fixed identity? 

Edited by Preety_India

INFJ-T,ptsd,BPD, autism, anger issues

Cleared out ignore list today. 

Noticing what we're identified with gives us insight into our suffering.

Noticing what we're not identified with gives us hints as to where we can expand in love.

I think the ability for one to handle a shift in identity is more important than whether it is mostly fixed or fluctuating. A fluctuating identity is not necessarily an achievement. 

Too much attachment to a fixed identity will cause suffering. A lack of attachment to an identity which is fixed nonetheless will not cause many issues. When a change is needed, it can be done. With too strong attachment, people may stay stubborn in a pattern which is not working well for them. 

Attachment to a fluctuating identity as some sort of ideal may lead to a lack of consistency and poorer life results overall. For the most part, good things come with consistently applied effort toward a goal whether that goal is financial, spiritual, in sports, or anything else. 

Edited by BipolarGrowth

Everybody wanna be a mystic, but nobody wanna dissolve themselves to the point of a psych ward visit. 
https://youtu.be/5i5jGU9wn2M?si=-rXSAiT1MMZrdBtY

11 hours ago, Preety_India said:

Do you feel like you have a fixed identity

Our identity constantly changes. 

when you were a child you identified with that state, then you mature and your identity changes. We are change. 

Even who you think you are and the way you act changes depending on the circumstances. When you are with friends you behave differently than if you are at work or with people you don’t know.

We try to adapt our behavior depending on the situation and environment. 

Edited by abrakamowse

Don’t you realize that all of you together are the temple of God and that the Spirit of God lives in you?
1 Corinthians 3:16

Identity is not an issue for me.  It's not a subject I contemplate at all.  I honestly don't understand the concept very well. I mean, I'm just "me" -- not something definable.  Like, what do people mean when they say "my identity"? A profession or job, a main hobby or interest, belonging to an ethnic or religious group or some other social group? I have those but they are not my identity.  They are just various ways to categorize myself as far as certain aspects or dimensions of life.  I'm not sure I need an identity or that I'm missing anything by not contemplating it, but I could be wrong, I guess.