axiom

Free will as God?

60 posts in this topic

@axiom Is there anything a tree can do other than 'be a tree'?  It seems like trees 'do all kinds of things'.. they grow branches this way and that.. they grow leaves and flowers and fruits... but show me the 'tree' that's growing 'it's branches'.. are not 'the branches' the same as 'the tree'??  Where is 'the tree' who 'does what a tree is doing'?   Same place as the 'you' who's 'doing what you are doing'.. there isn't one.

"I could be the walrus. I'd still have to bum rides off people."

27 minutes ago, Mason Riggle said:

@axiom Is there anything a tree can do other than 'be a tree'?  It seems like trees 'do all kinds of things'.. they grow branches this way and that.. they grow leaves and flowers and fruits... but show me the 'tree' that's growing 'it's branches'.. are not 'the branches' the same as 'the tree'??  Where is 'the tree' who 'does what a tree is doing'?   Same place as the 'you' who's 'doing what you are doing'.. there isn't one.

As far as I can tell, this is the point I was making.

Apparently.

1 hour ago, Mason Riggle said:

@WelcometoReality can one 'choose where to focus' without thinking about it?   How is there a choice (how is it my choice) if any thoughts about the choice are not 'originated by me'? 

Yes from that perspective, without thoughts, there is only what IS which is totally unknowable. There's neither "choice" nor "no choice". No "self" nor "no self". ?

1 minute ago, Mason Riggle said:

@axiom then we agree. 

This calls for some poetry:

God's cognitive dissonance collapses
Unease and discomfort relaxes
Conflicting ideas were ne'er conflicting;
Love fills the air as my dog farts in the corner.

Apparently.

4 hours ago, axiom said:

@Leo Gura Does God's will involve needing or wanting something, as you see it? That to me is very tied to the meaning of "will". 

It wants whatever it is creating.

4 hours ago, axiom said:

My impression is that it is the ego, and not Mind, that wills, wants or grasps

Your impression is corrupted by ego.

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

13 minutes ago, Leo Gura said:

How does God decide what it wants? 

3 minutes ago, Mason Riggle said:

How does God decide what it wants? 

What exists is what it wants. It wants EVERYTHING.

There is no how. It is 100% direct.

22 minutes ago, Leo Gura said:

Your impression is corrupted by ego.

Yes... that dang ego getting in the way. My impressions are probably also corrupted by reading too many articles and books, listening to too many spiritual practitioners, and seeking just a little too much in general. Not enough direct experience here.

Oneness "wants"... seems like the ultimate oxymoron. Difficult to digest that.

Creation. This needs pondering deeply. It seems that when we are in creative flow states, we tend to forget ourselves. Perhaps that's a clue to what "creation" actually is.

Edited by axiom

Apparently.

@Leo Gura this seems like adding this idea of 'wanting' where none is needed.  

2 minutes ago, Mason Riggle said:

@Leo Gura this seems like adding this idea of 'wanting' where none is needed.  

Don't take a spiritual pointer too litterally.

@Leo Gura I never do.. I'm just saying, it's a bit redundant and doesn't explain anything.

Saying 'whatever is, is how it is, because that's how it wants to be' means the same as saying 'whatever is, is how it is, because that's how it has to be'... or 'because that's how it chooses to be'... or 'because that's how it's forced to be'... or 'because that's how it prefers to be'.. 'or 'because that's just how it is'. 

@axiom There are a lot of distorted belief's about wants and desires. The goal isn't to be a passive desireless observer of life, but an active co creative partner with it. 

Edited by Matthew85

34 minutes ago, Matthew85 said:

@axiom There are a lot of distorted belief's about wants and desires. You are not suppose to be a passive desireless observer of life, but an active co creative partner with it. 

I understand the sentiment, but I don't think "supposed to be" comes into it. This is about what is

Maybe God is the flip-side on all accounts. Matter (duality) and anti-matter (Oneness) attracted and repelled, cancelling each other out eternally. Wanting and not-wanting, yin and yang. Destruction and creation. Oneness and many.

Humans "want" death / oneness. Oneness "wants" life...?

Edited by axiom

Apparently.

@axiom the 'wanting' isn't a literal wanting.. it's like saying 'lightning travels in the path of least resistance... that's the way lightning 'wants' to behave.. that's the path it 'chooses' to take.'.  

The Universe behaves exactly how it Loves to behave.. otherwise it would behave some other way than how it IS behaving. 

@axiom God is imagining infinite unique perspectives for a reason. Your unique desires and reflection adds to the beautiful diversity of the universe. 

Edited by Matthew85