Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Hardkill

Is MSNBC a progressive channel?

7 posts in this topic

I've noticed that MSNBC news anchors such as Lawrence O'Donnell and Rachel Maddow have very liberal views. Also, the MSNBC news itself channel is officially considered to be a liberal cable news channel. O'Donnell has even declared himself to be a proud extreme leftist. 

What do you all think?

Don't turn "progressive" into an identity. 

Take in all progressive ideas from across the board. But don't rely on the label. Progressive ideas aren't exempt from scrutiny. 

Certain progressive ideas need to be challenged for example - cancel culture. 

INFJ-T,ptsd,BPD, autism, anger issues

Cleared out ignore list today. 

1 hour ago, Preety_India said:

Don't turn "progressive" into an identity. 

Take in all progressive ideas from across the board. But don't rely on the label. Progressive ideas aren't exempt from scrutiny. 

Certain progressive ideas need to be challenged for example - cancel culture. 

Fair point.

However, I wonder how MSNBC compares to "progressive" YouTube channels like TYT, Secular Talk, Democracy Now, or Majority Report.

@Hardkill laughable because you put TYT there. TYT is simply propaganda. They turn their conscience on the drop of a dime. They say whatever suits the agenda in the moment. 

I think David Pakman is a better option for a progressive channel. 

Rachel Maddow seems to be a bit crazy with her theatrics and wild speculations. I have watched her and I can't stomach her. 

If you wanna know the consistency record of this woman then read this link and you will realize how truthful she is. She doesn't have much integrity in my opinion and this page proves it. 

https://www.politifact.com/factchecks/list/?category=&ruling=false&speaker=rachel-maddow

Lawrence O'Donnell is fair enough. 

I'd say don't rely on any particular channel because none of these channels are completely consistent. Take information from different sources but don't reply on any particular. Always remember that agenda is a big part whether it's progressives or the right wing. Both have their interests at play. 

INFJ-T,ptsd,BPD, autism, anger issues

Cleared out ignore list today. 

I don't think there are any progressive news channels in the US. But MSNBC is the most progressive among the liberal news channels.

You gotta think who the target audience for TV news is, mostly people 55 years and up. Very few of them want to hear truly progressive stuff.

If you want the traditional "watching TV' vibe while watching better content that's available online like David Pakman, most TVs made in the past few years have the Youtube app built in. Or on older non-smart TVs you can get a Chromecast for $50 and cast whatever you want to watch from your phone.

Plus you can avoid being brainwashed by 16 minutes of ads per hour.

Edited by Yarco

MSNBC is a corporate organization, so keep in mind that there's a profit motive at work there. Consequently its this structure as a for-profit organization, rather than hysteria about an imaginary 'liberal bias' from Bad Actors on the far right, that's actually worth being concerned about and keeping in mind.

I'd recommend  The Associated Press for direct reporting of events. And The Conversation as a possible alternative for high quality, complex news analysis that's non-partisian and not tainted by a profit motive.

Vox isn't bad either, they're open about the fact that they're a Left leaning news organization, but they provide high quality news analysis and aren't run as a for profit organization.

I'd stay clear of Young Turks, they tend to fall in to many of the same pitfalls as large corporate media (such as sensationalism), since they're reliant upon YouTube clicks to keep the lights on.

Edited by DocWatts

I'm writing a philosophy book! Check it out at : https://7provtruths.org/