kray

Western vs Eastern Mindset

7 posts in this topic

How come in the west, society is a lot more relaxed on sexuality, drinking, drug use, and new and abstract ways of thinking, whereas in eastern cultures from my experience (and as an Indian American), society leans more towards being uptight about those things listed? What makes western culture unique in that its more open in that regards? Not saying any culture is right or wrong, considering that culture itself is heavily nuanced, and right and wrong are almost always biased.  

@kray Stage Blue vs Orange of spiral dynamics.

"Not believing your own thoughts, you’re free from the primal desire: the thought that reality should be different than it is. You realise the wordless, the unthinkable. You understand that any mystery is only what you yourself have created. In fact, there’s no mystery. Everything is as clear as day. It’s simple, because there really isn’t anything. There’s only the story appearing now. And not even that.” — Byron Katie

3 hours ago, How to be wise said:

@kray Stage Blue vs Orange of spiral dynamics.

Yea, but even stage blue people here in America don't have as much of an uptight view on those things. 

@kray Because the west has partially already gone through that phase. Think about the Puritans or Victorian era. The west has always been uptight.

It’s only now that the pendulum has swung so that some part of the west is less uptight. Advances in technology and materialism mean that people don’t want or need to engage in strict moralizing about these things. Uptightness becomes obsolete.

In the East people tend to value a sense of duty and honor more so than individuality.

In the West we value individual expression above all else.

It's valuable to surrender to both ways of seeing in order to get over oneself. 

all human beings have some bad programming against sexual stuff including western people.

but the intensity of that resistance varies and that is because of many factors like government, circumstances and millions of things.

"If you kick me when I'm down, you better pray I don't get up"